Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what fly rod?

Options
  • 24-10-2011 12:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 43

I started fly fishing about four weeks ago and i love it,i'm using a rod i was given by a friend,i'ts made of two different fly rods.it casts good and feels ok but i want to buy my own proper rod.it doesn't give any information on the bottom part of the rod as to line weight or action so i'm just going to go with what it says online with regards to ease of casting ,a 6weight medium action around 10ft.i want to spend 250 eur with 300 eur being the max for the rod,will i get a good rod that will last a while for this kinda money?any ideas would be great thanks.it will be for lake and river fishing.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭wwwboof

buy one of them scierra rods i have 3 of them and cant fault them i even broke a tip on one sent it back with no hassle what so ever wel worth the money:D

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭chessman

depends on if you are fishing river or lake.
    i would recommend 10or 10.5 foot rod and this would cover both.
    A.F.T.M.A. 5,6,7,would be the norm,but its a matter of what you like best.
    for the money you are spending check out Glasgow Angling Centre on the net they are excellent and they have a huge range and ther is great value to had now.
    Tight Lines

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭okedoke

I have a Fulling Mill Pro series - 10ft 6wt for sea trout and lough fishing. £51 on tacklebargains but postage will cost you about £15.

http://tacklebargains.co.uk/acatalog/Fulling-Mill-GX-6104--6-weight---10ft---Gold-Series---4-Piece-Rods
    Save-50-.html

• Registered Users Posts: 43 fffp

thanks for the feedback,i'll check them all out,make a change from going trough ebay.i didn't know fly rods could get so expensive,the quest continues...

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭fisherking

I would say hold off and save the extra few quid
    For 4 or 5 hundred you could get a gloomis
    The best around imho
    Its then a once off hobby purchase you will have for life...

fffp wrote: »
    I started fly fishing about four weeks ago and i love it,i'm using a rod i was given by a friend,i'ts made of two different fly rods.it casts good and feels ok but i want to buy my own proper rod.it doesn't give any information on the bottom part of the rod as to line weight or action so i'm just going to go with what it says online with regards to ease of casting ,a 6weight medium action around 10ft.i want to spend 250 eur with 300 eur being the max for the rod,will i get a good rod that will last a while for this kinda money?any ideas would be great thanks.it will be for lake and river fishing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 Racha78

Get yourself 10' 5wt version of this:

http://www.johnnorris.co.uk/shop/ty_234-fishing-tackle/5210-hardy-marksman-fly-rods.html

Its steal at the moment(but hurry), you can use it with 6wt line as well and that will cover you for most of your requirements ... Its rod for life and they dont lose value over time as (some) other rods do...

Hope this helps.

D.

yes a g loomis would be savage but i have to be strict and stick to my guns price wise atm thanks for the comment though....someday:).
    that hardy rod looks the biz i'm wondering will a 10' 5wt give me the long casts i'm after?seriously considering this one...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

yes a g loomis would be savage but i have to be strict and stick to my guns price wise atm thanks for the comment though....someday:).
    that hardy rod looks the biz i'm wondering will a 10' 5wt give me the long casts i'm after?seriously considering this one...

ive one of them and they are very good rods, light and powerful, i use mine mostly for river fishing and i am not too sure what you mean by 'long casts' on a river wading fishing upstream i have no need for long casting.
    I have used it on the lough, fishing dries and found it to cast perfectly well, but as a five weight its not what i would call a very long caster, you might want to consider a heavier line than 5wt for long casting.

whatever you buy make sure you go for quality because quality rods will last.

Ok i have an idea
    Check out a sage xp on ebay
    They are discontinued so will go round your budget i think or even a gloomis glx
    Keep in mind a 5wt is delicate
    Maybe 9ft for a 7wt?
    If u buy one for three hundred youll end up replacing it in a few years
    i know ive done it !

• Registered Users Posts: 45 finlayspub1

buy local from your local tackle dealer , plenty of them around ,
    you can get lots of impartial advice from them and more importantly you can feel and look at what your buying.
    never mind e bay go local

• Advertisement

Good point finly
    Southside do decent second hand rods from time to time

buy local from your local tackle dealer , plenty of them around ,
    you can get lots of impartial advice from them and more importantly you can feel and look at what your buying.
    never mind e bay go local

cheers for the feedback again lads,i was checking ebay again and it is easy to get google eyed from all the different rods.i had a cast of the rod my brother was using yesterday it belongs to his father in law,i'ts a seven wt and i'ts about a foot longer then my rod,it seems to cast farther and with less effort then my own, it is fierce flexi though and i got tangeled up a bit more then i usually do.it would be perfect if it was a bit stiffer.the brother is only fly fishing a few weeks like myself so he is in the same boat.i will have a chat with a local shop,maybe in limerick or ennis and see what the story is and test a couple of rods.i'f i can afford it i might get a lamson guru they are supposed to be good value for fully machined reel.they look sweet anyways lol.if i purchase in the next week or so i'll post how i got on.cheers,fffp.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭experimenter

Spend the money on a good quality fly line rather than an over rated fly reel that just looks good.....

Advertisement