Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC : Won't replace faulty cables outside

Options
  • 24-10-2011 12:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Has anybody else had this experience and found a solution?

After many months of to'ing and fro'ing with UPC customer support (please wait 3 days and we will be in contact X over 20 calls) and their field engineers, the intermittent signal on some channels (shows up as loss of signal, or leads not connected) has continued to get worse and worse. Finally a field engineer did a test and said that the cables running into our apartment block are too old and need replacing - he would log a call. Nothing happened. Calling customer support has the usual result - even when I explain clearly this is the upteenth call and here is the solution - They will get an area engineer to telephone back and let me know when the cable will be fixed... Of course, despite all their promises, nobody calls back... We now have sky in the building, and its a viable alternative if a bit more expensive... but I don't see why I need to change to SKY if UPC simply deliver the service that is required and change the cable outside... We are a number of owners who have logged the same problem, but that seems to make no difference...

Any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

Upc support is truly awful. I'd say go with sky, might be slightly more expensive but it'll be worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭com7

there might be a issue trying to replace or repair them , try tweeting help @upc they ll get back to you

• Registered Users Posts: 25,429 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

TheTechGuy wrote: »
    Upc support is truly awful. I'd say go with sky, might be slightly more expensive but it'll be worth it.

Hang on a second, I had a problem with my broadband and they replaced all of the cable from the manhole in the street all the way into my front room. They also gave me new wall boxes and as many Ethernet cables as I wanted to connect my TV and Blu-Ray player to the router.

In the OP's case there may be an issue with the quality of the cable inside the apartment block. If for example the cables running from the distribution board to each apartment are below spec. then UPC may decide that it's not worth their while replacing the cable from the road into the distribution board.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

coylemj wrote: »
    UPC may decide that it's not worth their while replacing the cable from the road into the distribution board.

It's not the customers fault or concern what UPC do. All the customer (in this case the OP) wants is a service that he is paying for and that works as advertised

How they choose to restore that service is of NO concern to the OP. They simply must either repair the cable or find an alternative or else the OP will be without a usable service. If they don't then i'm sure the OP can get rid of them fairly easily

• Registered Users Posts: 25,429 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

My point is that if the internal cabling in the building (which is the responsibility of the management company) is below spec. there is no point in UPC spending money replacing the cable from the street to the distribution board inside the building because it will make zero difference to the residents.

Street ---- old cable ---- distribution board ---- old cable ---- apartment = sh1te service

Street ---- new cable ---- distribution board ---- old cable ---- apartment = sh1te service

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

My point is that if the internal cabling in the building (which is the responsibility of the management company) is below spec. there is no point in UPC spending money replacing the cable from the street to the distribution board inside the building because it will make zero difference to the residents.

I know one resident it will make a difference to...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Hang on a second, I had a problem with my broadband and they replaced all of the cable from the manhole in the street all the way into my front room. They also gave me new wall boxes and as many Ethernet cables as I wanted to connect my TV and Blu-Ray player to the router.

In the OP's case there may be an issue with the quality of the cable inside the apartment block. If for example the cables running from the distribution board to each apartment are below spec. then UPC may decide that it's not worth their while replacing the cable from the road into the distribution board.
    If this is the case then they should tell the customer so instead of messing the OP around. At least then the OP could put pressure on the landlord or management company to get the cable work done along with UPC.

Also, if Sky can wire a building for its satellite service (and which needs higher-spec cable compared to UPC) then UPC can surely do the same. I don't think Sky do exclusivity deals so there probably is no real obstacle to UPC also rewiring the building.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 TBG

There's been no mention from them of the internal cabling being at fault. If that is so then all the need to do is tell us. We're a small complex... we get the same engineers... and there are quite a few of us that are having the problem... we can add it to the list of things for the management company... but so far the engineers have been telling us that its a cable that (and wait for it) is slung across a river from one side of Kilmainham to the other to bring us cable...

as an aside... they have updated their cables for broadband on other parts of Kilmainham, except Kilmainham lane that has about 3 apartment blocks on it... and when asked why... guess what... they go silent again

As I was typing this... guess what... that good ole message came up again... and checking channels... now there are none... nor are there non-sat channels... I can't wait for this excuse... one of my favours so far from them has been after the snow "the weather was too cold for our cables so now we have to adjust your box"

UPC - why bother!

Advertisement