Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LIDL boots.

Options
  • 24-10-2011 12:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭

I spotted these will be for sale next Thursday in lidl.
    http://www.lidl.ie/cps/rde/xchg/lidl_ri_ie/hs.xsl/index_14630.htm

Dont have money to splash out on a expensive pair.
    Was wondering would these be any good or does anyone have any experience with boots like this from lidl.

Will be used for hunting and dont have a car so it will be all done on foot.

any info appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Only one way to find out? At that price they have to worth a punt. If they fail (as in let in water or are uncomfortable) then just use them for gardening or the likes.

My experience of cheaper footwear is that the linings are sometimes not finished to as high a standard. This can cause uncomfortable rubbing on a long days hike. If you aren't doing much distance during your hunt then shouldn't be an issue.

I can't comment on the breathability or waterproof quality of these types of boots but I would presume breathability would be an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

I know a lad who bought them, said he would have been better off in runners.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

My sister and her bf bought a pair. They worked great for her, not so good for him. I would describe them as 2 season boots at best.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Lashed

Note these boots are labelled as weatherproof, not waterproof. I think its really a false economy to buy something like these as they will not last nearly as long as a recignised brand and you will almost certainly sacrafice comfort.

I'll stick to my Asolo boots guaranteed waterproof for 2 years and expected to last 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

I've gone through a couple of pairs of the light weight walking boots they do. Very light and comfy, but not waterproof, at all.
    At that price they're worth a punt though. No need to take care of cheap boots properly. Alot to be said for it (when you just can't be ar$ed).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

footwear is the one thing I never spare cash on. its the most important part of kit. important that they fit properly , give support and are waterproof.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,264 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I bought a pair of "walking boots" in Lidl/Aldi (can't remember which) a while back - a lot lighter looking than those the OP is looking at - and they were crap! Not terribly comfortable, far too flat in the sole, and must've been made of pure plastic they were so non-breathable.

You definitely get what you pay for in footwear, IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

today was my first time trying these out and i walked for 2 hours through wet grass and threw two streams that were just over the toes of the boots and my socks were dry when i got home. they were comfy too.

But then again one of the lads got a pair and he got drenched in them. hit and miss i think

Fuinseog wrote: »
    footwear is the one thing I never spare cash on. its the most important part of kit. important that they fit properly , give support and are waterproof.

I like waterproof, but many differ on this. Alot of experienced hikers prefer non waterproof as they dry easier when the inevitable happens and generally find them more breathable. I would concur with what you say however.

il gatto wrote: »
    I like waterproof, but many differ on this. Alot of experienced hikers prefer non waterproof as they dry easier when the inevitable happens and generally find them more breathable. I would concur with what you say however.

The "experienced" hikers you talk about must be Americans or fair weather hikers because the minute you step out of a car in typical Irish weather your feet are wet if not wearing waterproof boots :)

• Advertisement

sparrowcar wrote: »
    The "experienced" hikers you talk about must be Americans or fair weather hikers because the minute you step out of a car in typical Irish weather your feet are wet if not wearing waterproof boots :)

Not at all. I know a few here in the sodden north west who reckon it's impossible to keep water out effectively for a whole day and prefer something that will dry out quicker. Not me though. I like to be optimistic that this time, the boots will stay dry.:rolleyes:

they will keep out a bit of water but not much, regardless of how much you try to waterproof them. you get what you pay for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭lab man

they r sh1t lasted 2 days for me:mad:

lab man wrote: »
    they r sh1t lasted 2 days for me:mad:

seem to be hit and miss. one of the lads got a pair that are useless but yet ive walked threw streams in mine and still have been bone dry. still i find them cumfy and if they are no good for water they will do me grand for the summer

I've been thinking a pair of snow boots may be the answer. Don't know how good they are over distance or how sturdy they are, but things like North Face Chilkats and Sorel look interesting as they have rubber much higher up than normal boots. Probably sweat something awful though.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭deisecelt

Anyone know where id get a pair of these today for men? Just looking for a cheap pair, goin up the comeraghs once is all, cheers.

deisecelt wrote: »
    Anyone know where id get a pair of these today for men? Just looking for a cheap pair, goin up the comeraghs once is all, cheers.

lidl boots are only available at certain times of the year

I recommend Portwest Galway, Westport, Dublin. they have boots for under a hundred that are waterproof. Living in a country like this waterproof footwear will always be handy, plus they are very comfortable.

maybe a second hand pair of army boots from your local army surplus would be cheaper again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 michelle45

I would recommend Portwest as well. They have some good offers on hiking boots on their website at the moment and there boots are always very comfortable and durable. http://portwest.ie

michelle45 wrote: »
    I would recommend Portwest as well. They have some good offers on hiking boots on their website at the moment and there boots are always very comfortable and durable. http://portwest.ie

:rolleyes:

michelle45 wrote: »

the gf bought a pair in portwest and theylet in water. is this normal? they are some kind of tex, so they should be waterproof or maybe we should have sprayed them first. my boots I have never treated and they have never leaked so maybe we should bring them back.

• Advertisement

A bit of an update on these lidl boots.

The pair i picked up are warm and waterproof. So far they have lasted me the Hunting season from november and are still going good. The weekend i walked across boggy fields where the boots were submerged in water and muck and i was still bone dry in them.
    I walked for 4 hours on hills, fields and on the roads saturday and found them very comfortable.

some people must be unlucky with the pairs they get because some lads got drenched in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭lab man

garv, i bought a pair of meindl boots for 179e that sorted the prob as another poter said you get what you pay for!!
    ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

Advertisement