Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wanting my first tattoo......any help pls

Options
  • 24-10-2011 10:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 30

Hey!!! First post here, I want to get my first tattoo. I want a half sleeve of a dragon done in red and black,something along the lines of what's in the picture. I know there's a phoenix in there too...just looking for some info lyk where would the best place be to go....and a ball park figure on price...any help or suggestions will be very much appreciated cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

For Japanese style, from what I understand, JMD's in Waterford have a great reputation.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Where are you living?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭Curly Judge

BzrBren wrote: »
    Hey!!! First post here, I want to get my first tattoo. I want a half sleeve of a dragon done in red and black,something along the lines of what's in the picture. I know there's a phoenix in there too...just looking for some info lyk where would the best place be to go....and a ball park figure on price...any help or suggestions will be very much appreciated cheers.

The only tattoo I would remotely consider ...ever...is to have my blood group across my wrist and even then I would be most reluctant!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

The only tattoo I would remotely consider ...ever...is to have my blood group across my wrist and even then I would be most reluctant!

Well then how about you find your way out of the Tattoo & Piercing forum then :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 30 BzrBren

I'm from Kilkenny...so waterford wouldn't be far from me at all...just some more info I'm looking for really,being thinking about it for a good while now...thanks for the replies so far...

• Advertisement

Melion wrote: »
    Well then how about you find your way out of the Tattoo & Piercing forum then :rolleyes:

I beg your forgiveness for expressing an opinion on a stupid, irreversible act.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

First and last warning, you wanna slate tattoos, do it elsewhere. Another comment like this will get you a ban.

I'd just like to ask your reasons for seeing it as a stupid act?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

Isn't white dragon in Belfast considered the best for jap work on the island???

Yeah Chris Crooks in White Dragon turns out some savage stuff.
    Long waiting lists though AFAIK

• Advertisement

I'd just like to ask your reasons for seeing it as a stupid act?

At the risk of getting banned I will attempt to answer you question.
    I am opposed to any unnecessary body modification which is irreversible.
    If someone wants to cover their body with designs which can be washed off next week, then by all means carry on.
    What seems like a good idea in your teens may be eminently regrettable at 45.
    In case I don't get a chance to talk to you all again, it's been fun.

First and last warning, you wanna slate tattoos, do it elsewhere. Another comment like this will get you a ban.

I'm new to this site and I seem to have upset some tattoo taboo.
    In which case I apologize.
    My logic was that if some young person started a thread saying that they were thinking of taking up smoking and asked what brand of fags they should start on they might get a reaction similar to mine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 AineThePiercer

Dude you're in the wrong forum. You are going to piss a lot of people off. Why would you come to a tattoo forum and talk like that? I am in my mid 30's and I do not regret any of my many tattoos and I will feel the same 10, 20, 30 years from now. You have your opinion. You have given it. But one thing, smoking KILLS! tattoos do not. Your point is pointless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭ZombieBride

Both my grandfathers were covered in tattoos, as were their fathers, this is nothing new, and they showed them with pride well into their dotage.

The only difference between people with tattoos and people without is that we don't complain about your bare skin.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Dangerdunf

Getting back to OP's question, JMD's seems to be most peoples choice for Japanese. You are looking at around €120 an hour in there.

Dude you're in the wrong forum. You are going to piss a lot of people off. Why would you come to a tattoo forum and talk like that? I am in my mid 30's and I do not regret any of my many tattoos and I will feel the same 10, 20, 30 years from now. You have your opinion. You have given it. But one thing, smoking KILLS! tattoos do not. Your point is pointless.

Okay, Okay,
    I feel like a man who has walked into a packed ladies toilet.
    I will withdraw, blushing profusely.:eek:

If someone wants to cover their body with designs which can be washed off next week, then by all means carry on.

I respect the fact you at least replied and gave your explanation.

From what I can gather though, your reason for not liking tattoo's is that it's irreversible, and people may regret it.

But quite honestly, someone who is responsible, thoughtful, and repectful of tattoos will have done their research into what tattoo they want, where they want it, and which artist they want to do it. With all these considerations, and taking the time to be sure about it, very little can go wrong.

On the other hand, if you have some moron who gets pissed drunk, thinks they'll get a flash image of random tribal from the wall (or 'Only God Can Judge Me') on their neck, and heads into the nearest tattoo shop... well that's never going to end well.

You said that in your teens, it seems fun but can later be regretted - I would argue that 18 and 19 years olds CAN pick great and meaningful tattoos, but it depends on the individual to make a smart choice.
    I'm new to this site and I seem to have upset some tattoo taboo.
    In which case I apologize.
    My logic was that if some young person started a thread saying that they were thinking of taking up smoking and asked what brand of fags they should start on they might get a reaction similar to mine.

Smoking is an anti-social, nasty, harmful habit with no up-side to it.

Tattoos (when done correctly) are jaw-droppingly amazing pieces of ART, that do no harm whatsoever, while having a positive (or neutral) effect on the person whose tattoo it is.

I don't understand your comparison in the least.

I respect the fact you at least replied and gave your explanation.

From what I can gather though, your reason for not liking tattoo's is that it's irreversible, and people may regret it.

But quite honestly, someone who is responsible, thoughtful, and repectful of tattoos will have done their research into what tattoo they want, where they want it, and which artist they want to do it. With all these considerations, and taking the time to be sure about it, very little can go wrong.

On the other hand, if you have some moron who gets pissed drunk, thinks they'll get a flash image of random tribal from the wall (or 'Only God Can Judge Me') on their neck, and heads into the nearest tattoo shop... well that's never going to end well.

You said that in your teens, it seems fun but can later be regretted - I would argue that 18 and 19 years olds CAN pick great and meaningful tattoos, but it depends on the individual to make a smart choice.

Smoking is an anti-social, nasty, harmful habit with no up-side to it.

Tattoos (when done correctly) are jaw-droppingly amazing pieces of ART, that do no harm whatsoever, while having a positive (or neutral) effect on the person whose tattoo it is.

I don't understand your comparison in the least.

Thank you for your response.
    We'll have to agree to differ.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭manlad

Thank you for your response.
    We'll have to agree to differ.

If you are new to boards I suggest you read up on the charter and rules for different forums.

Reasoned debate is always welcome, but I would suggest maybe making a new thread for that. What we frown on is people simply stating that it's stupid to get a tattoo, etc... Essentially derogatory remarks with nothing backing them up.

As Jimmy Bottlehead stated, if someone puts the time and effort into deciding what they want done, then it's most likely that they will never regret their tattoo. However if someone doesn't put the thought into what they are getting, or goes to some scratcher to get it done, then there is a much much higher chance that it will be something that they regret.

• Advertisement

Reasoned debate is always welcome, but I would suggest maybe making a new thread for that. What we frown on is people simply stating that it's stupid to get a tattoo, etc... Essentially derogatory remarks with nothing backing them up.

As Jimmy Bottlehead stated, if someone puts the time and effort into deciding what they want done, then it's most likely that they will never regret their tattoo. However if someone doesn't put the thought into what they are getting, or goes to some scratcher to get it done, then there is a much much higher chance that it will be something that they regret.

Fairenoughski !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭harrythehat

I'm getting my first tattoo when I'm home at Christmas.

Audentes Fortuna iuvat (fortune favours the bold)in a semi-circle at the nape of my neck. Do ye think a Latin phrase is very cliched? And do you think it will be very boring as tattoos go - I'm just getting it in black in nice calligraphy? Opinions welcome.

I'm getting my first tattoo when I'm home at Christmas.

Audentes Fortuna iuvat (fortune favours the bold)in a semi-circle at the nape of my neck. Do ye think a Latin phrase is very cliched? And do you think it will be very boring as tattoos go - I'm just getting it in black in nice calligraphy? Opinions welcome.

What matters most is what you think of it, try printing it out, in the font you like, or in a few different fonts, see how you feel with prolonged exposure to it!

You could always add decorative elements to it at a later stage if you liked

Advertisement