Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster flooding - 24th October 2011

Options

Comments

Iancar29 wrote: »
    Ye i know! SOrry , i cant delete it! :(
    Could one of the adverts.ie mods not delete it.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Could one of the adverts.ie mods not delete it.

i have reported it - there might be no mods online

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Jake1 wrote: »
    sure its not your fault. :) Some people just have no decency

I took it off... cant be having any of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

Went for a wander. Floodwaters appear to have receded around Kilmainham/Rialto. Hopefully it'll stay dry and that will continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Quiet you

Rougies wrote: »
    I tried to get to nutgrove shopping center earlier from yellow house direction, fire engine on nutgrove avenue about at the row of shops causing tailbacks in both directions. I aborted and turned around as many others were doing.

This was at about 8pm so I think those premises would have been saved from the worst with that fireengine pumping water.

I took a look a there at the end of my sightseeing trip which was half ten-ish i think. It seemed passible but traffic was going very slowly. No sign of any fire engines or anything like that but as I said, I didn't feel the need to add to the traffic on the flooded roads so I couldn't get a good idea of what was happening.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

Not wrote: »
    All areas that used to flood badly and routinely during heavy rain in the 80s. I wonder how the houses built on Dodder Road in dip where the caravan sales place used to be are getting on ? Always seemed to me to be an insane place to build houses.

couldnt get down that far as the road was flooded.i think they got it bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Bigus

The Car Repair garages at the start of Nutgrove avenue were severely affected,

The Retaining wall eventually burst and sent a number of cars unoccupied out onto the Rathfarnham Castle Golf course along with motorbikes waste oil and other stuff,
    Cameras at the ready in the morning!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Trevor451

My friends house is submerged in 1FT of water now :o

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

What's the deal with the blob of rain moving up from the south? Is there enough information to know whether it'll hit leinster tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

Quiet you wrote: »
    I took a look a there at the end of my sightseeing trip which was half ten-ish i think. It seemed passible but traffic was going very slowly. No sign of any fire engines or anything like that but as I said, I didn't feel the need to add to the traffic on the flooded roads so I couldn't get a good idea of what was happening.

I was there about 2-3 hours earlier, traffic at a complete standstill with flashing lights of a fire engine up ahead, at least two buses stuck behind it too. I just presume they were pumping water, don;t think it would have made much difference though. I took the right turn up grange road through lakes and rivers and met another tailback so was forced to abort mission and head back toward the yellow house. Decided to take a left turn there. Bad idea! Pure insanity everywhere really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Quiet you

Rougies wrote: »
    I was there about 3 hours earlier, traffic at a complete standstill with flashing lights of a fire engine up ahead, at least two buses stuck behind it too. I just presume they were pumping water, don;t think it would have made much difference though. I took the right turn up grange road through lakes and rivers and met another tailback so was forced to abort mission and head back toward the yellow house. Decided to take a left turn there. Bad idea! Pure insanity everywhere really.

The traffic on the Grange road is always bad at rush hour anyway. The weather and diversions only made things ten times worse.

Last years snow on that road was something to behold.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

@Andrew,The rain to the south will move into Munster and south Leinster through the night and into Connaught tomorrow according to ME and should be fairly light overall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭Cameron Poe

This is the Dodder barely passing under London Bridge an hour ago.

Acjuu5gCAAAfHW9.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

this is beside where i work, wouldn't fancy this bad boy bursting it's banks,video taken about 8-30pm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭Pimp Ninja

Relinking image from @BloomingSuz Twitter - Complete madness.
    image-5.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,286 ✭✭✭emo72

here in Lucan , its gone so still,quiet and calm. Really strange after the last 24 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

JUst ventured out to tesco - floods around here and on the Malahide Road as far as Coolock have much subsided. There's still some spots where the road is easily passable, but not at anything more than 10km/h. SLOW DOWN tonight and tomorrow, and drive with LIGHTS ON ;)

edit you only need the YSyLFrPt8gY inbetween the [ youtube] tags
    [ YOUTUBE]YSyLFrPt8gY[/ YOUTUBE]

PS don't bother watching! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Iancar29 wrote: »
    Got up just before the rain had started again , my station got 20mm, not great i know but its kinda sheltered in so i kinda amp that up in my own head to about 25mm :)

Decided to cycle down to the local river with the dog to try get a b4 after shot.
    So ye ,

heres the before...

293302_10150435596556718_631736717_10914398_305077826_n.jpg
    I took this from the road where which the river goes under ,
    I remember back in 2006 the river flooding out over ON the road! ha

any sign of the after shot yet ? :)

( i searched your posts but couldn't find anything, just incase I missed it :) )

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

It's 0245, and I'm only just calming down again after being on high alert since 1700, the last time we had rain of this order, we were out of our house for 7 months, and the insurance claim was over €120K, and that was only as a result of less than 300 mm of water in the ground floor.

Today, I don't know what the total rainfall was, my weather station rain gauge has been on strike for a while, and it's a problem to get up to it and find out what's wrong, but from the information I'm hearing, there's been more rain today than there was in 2002, which in one respect is a relief, in that it means the work that was done after the last event has made a difference, the stream that was 350 mm out of it's channel last time just about stayed in it this time, and fortunately, it stopped raining about 20:30.

Still spent too long on high alert, between hedge clippings that get dumped over into the stream, rubbish bags full of unmentionable things that people dump in the stream rather than pay to have collected, and other debris that ends up on the grid in our property, it's been another stressful evening, and that's before the next installment that looks like it's on the way for the morning.

So, if I don't share the enthusiasm for the weather right now, I'm sure people will understand. I suppose we'd better be thankful that it didn't fall as snow, we'd be spending the rest of the winter looking for the country if today's precip had fallen as snow.

To anyone that's been flooded, you have my heartfelt sympathy, the strain and hassle of sorting everything out is enormous, and the time involved is massive. I already know I will be spending most of tomorrow making sure that other security measures against flooding that I didn't think I'd need again are still viable, tonight has demonstrated that I can't trust what's been done to have made us completely safe, we came a lot closer than I am confortable with to being hit again, and that's not sitting very happily with me right now.

I just hope this isn't a sign of things to come this winter. Getting the local authority to sort out some of the issues that were reported to them years ago is going to be a nightmare, if they didn't do it when the Celtic Tiger was roaring it's head off, there's no chance now that it's Sh*t on all of us, and ther'es no way I can even think of trying to do what needs to be done, some of the work needed isn't even on my property!

Best of luck tomorrow everyone.

Steve

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Caitriona

Has anyone heard anything from Slane? The Boyne was looking nastily high when we drove through yesterday afternoon, I'd say the bridge is impassable now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

That load of rain coming in from the south over wexford looks like its heading toward leinster to my untrained eyes :confused::confused:

lafors wrote: »
    That load of rain coming in from the south over wexford looks like its heading toward leinster to my untrained eyes :confused::confused:
    Yes sure looks that way.
    /gets ready to escape to Athlone! ;)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Rain blob incoming!

Should not be anything like yesterday, as MT siad last night, maybe 5 to 10mm max.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Just been reading through the thread and the flooding in Dublin looks unreal. Thanks to all who submitted photos and videos. Really gives a sense of what it was like there. Much appreciated especially when your far away from home.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Light rain has arrived (again). But if you are listening to Morning Ireland, it's not raining in Dublin this morning. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Very heavy rain here, 10.6mm this morning so far. 9.4mm in the last hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭RiseToMe

Rain falling here in santry, brollys up n wipers on

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

There's more heavy rain heading up the East coast,been bucketing down here in Co.Wexford for the last few hours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

I have increased amounts mentioned in today's forecast (now saying 10-25 mms) although this renewed rainfall looks to be somewhat faster moving, and broken up into more of a showery pattern. The bottom line is that the renewed rainfall amounts will probably be just about enough to keep some of the flooding steady-state rather than allowing it to subside. Some of today's rain may become thundery and we certainly can't rule out localized heavier amounts but I don't think there will be the sort of organized three-county-wide deluges that took place yesterday, this will be more of a pulsing showery event with high variability in amounts place to place. There could be some torrential downpours on the eastern slopes of the Wicklow Mountains. and by mid-morning in the southern parts of Dublin. These rains may only last about an hour or so before moving on to the north, which may limit their flood potential (also they may fall into already flooded drainage).

Thursday also concerns me with potential for another pulse of heavy rain to move up from the south. Hopefully the jet stream will rip this one apart when it arrives, because over a longer time frame the trend is back to a very mobile pattern with strong winds becoming a feature again by this coming weekend.

Advertisement