Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster flooding - 24th October 2011

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Problem is councils should of got out sunday morning and clear all pipes on the roads etc, people should of clear all the leaves of their paths and gardens on sunday, this would of stoppped some of the mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Iancar29 wrote: »
    - Tolka River GLasnevin -

Before-

After-

Video- ( Last Night Going through the floods )
    y54XrBuUmxU?hd=1

Video - ( Morning of 25th)
    f-o5snsOuRY?hd=1

Holy shiznit Ian.

I passed by there this morning (used to live in Violet Hill myself, across the road) but couldn't notice the river as it was very dark (7.30 or so).

By any chance did you go for a stroll down behind Violet Hill to the field? Anytime there's a bit of flooding, the entire field usually fills up, turning the low lying area into a small, temporary lake!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Jaysoose

Problem is councils should of got out sunday morning and clear all pipes on the roads etc, people should of clear all the leaves of their paths and gardens on sunday, this would of stoppped some of the mess.

Ah i see the easy answer brigade are out in force, the councils worked their arses off the last few days so how about you try to explain in a bit more detail how you would have prevented what happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,708 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

Was there ANY work done to prevent the flooding after the events of a couple of years ago ?

NickDrake wrote: »
    Local Council? So they forecast now do they?

Yes Met Eireann forecasted rain but nowhere near this amount.

They got it wrong. I would consider it negligent if a national forecaster who we pay can get the amount wrong by so much.

I don't think you understand the damage that was caused and Met Eireann only forecasted a third of the rainfall.

Not forecasting the other two thirds is absolutely disgraceful.

If councils cleared all the leaves and people with tree's in their garden clear their leaves alot of this would not be as bad, except for areas by rivers.

No weather forecasters can predict exactly what will happen and if they go over cautious ye are the first to slag them then. Even Sky got it wrong for Ireland on the amount of rain.

Wind shifts occurs during the day and also its obvious to anyone at 4 pm yesterday that floods would occur, even the bloody cats knew. So ask questions of your council why they never reacted even late yesterday?

• Advertisement

Ally Dick wrote: »
    Was there ANY work done to prevent the flooding after the events of a couple of years ago ?

I know that question was rhetorical. Since when has the county council ever been preventative?

Reactive, that's how we roll in this country.

Jaysoose wrote: »
    Ah i see the easy answer brigade are out in force, the councils worked their arses off the last few days so how about you try to explain in a bit more detail how you would have prevented what happened.

Easy answer brigade?? Leaves have been on the N7 and Belgard road piling up since early september and none cleared!! Same for N81. Like to explain that?

One preventive mesaure would be a clearance of the leaves, wouldnt of stop it all from happening but should be done a bi weekly basis and not just left there!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭NickDrake

If councils cleared all the leaves and people with tree's in their garden clear their leaves alot of this would not be as bad, except for areas by rivers.

No weather forecasters can predict exactly what will happen and if they go over cautious ye are the first to slag them then. Even Sky got it wrong for Ireland on the amount of rain.

Wind shifts occurs during the day and also its obvious to anyone at 4 pm yesterday that floods would occur, even the bloody cats knew. So ask questions of your council why they never reacted even late yesterday?

I agree the councils are to blame thats for sure but it doesn't absolve ME completeley.

Can people not admit they got it wrong? Why is that so hard?

It seems a lot on here have connections with the national forecaster and considering my experience of state agencies, plenty of the employees spend the day on the internet to pass the day.

In relation to SKY. They are not the national forecaster and are not paid by us tax payers to get it right.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,487 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

They got it wrong. I would consider it negligent if a national forecaster who we pay can get the amount wrong by so much.

I don't think you understand the damage that was caused and Met Eireann only forecasted a third of the rainfall.

Get over yourself FFS. "Wah wah wah Met Eireann didn't tell us exactly how many ml of rain there was going to be, burn them, burn them all..."

What ****ing difference does it make, it was still going to rain you know.

It never rains much on the east coast, didn't you know??

This is a perennial issue, and we're no more adept at dealing with it now than ever.

• Advertisement

I agree the councils are to blame thats for sure but it doesn't absolve ME completeley.

Can people not admit they got it wrong? Why is that so hard?

It seems a lot on here have connections with the national forecaster and considering my experience of state agencies, plenty of the employees spend the day on the internet to pass the day.

In relation to SKY. They are not the national forecaster and are not paid by us tax payers to get it right.

Met Eireann gets their info from the same place as sky. They all work off the same charts. Weather is unpredictable, thats just life.

Not connected to them at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭lolie

Ger Fleming on rte radio 1 now with pat kenny

lolie wrote: »
    Ger Fleming on rte radio 1 now with pat kenny

What's the FF twitter saying about the flooding? :D

Get over yourself FFS. "Wah wah wah Met Eireann didn't tell us exactly how many ml of rain there was going to be, burn them, burn them all..."

What ****ing difference does it make, it was still going to rain you know.

So thats your answer? Use bad language and pass the blame?

They got in wrong like they did with two days of crazy snow up here last winter.

They are paid millions to get this right but get it so wrong on so many occassions.

I think if your house was flooded and work place destroyed you would feel a little bit different.

They got in wrong like they did with two days of crazy snow up here last winter.

They are paid millions to get this right but get it so wrong on so many occassions.

I think if your house was flooded and work place destroyed you would feel a little bit different.

Even if they got it right there still be floods. It was obvious to everyone at lunch time there was a major problem, Met Eireann raise the alert more then, but the authorties didnt react to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭rosser44

http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/1023/weather.html

:rolleyes:

Even if they got it right there still be floods. It was obvious to everyone at lunch time there was a major problem, Met Eireann raise the alert more then, but the authorties didnt react to it.

Bit late raising the alarm when it is actually happening. That is my point. A blind man would have seen it happen but the forecasters we pay millions could see it coming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

In fairness met eireann said on sat a months rain will fall in 24 hrs and it did.

Not sure what more you expect from them. Maybe look at your local council instead.

2 types of people are annoying me.
    The "met eireann never said anything" people. They did.
    The "cork was flooded 2 years ago and it never made the papers/rte". It had massive coverage in the media.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

Easy answer brigade?? Leaves have been on the N7 and Belgard road piling up since early september and none cleared!! Same for N81. Like to explain that?

One preventive mesaure would be a clearance of the leaves, wouldnt of stop it all from happening but should be done a bi weekly basis and not just left there!!

I lived in Holland for a few years and as soon as the leaves start falling they have people out gathering them.Guess they are just more organised and can forsee the problems of leaves blocking drains possibly leading to flooding.Extra money for leaf clearing should be provided to the council,would probably save 100's of millions from reduced flooding

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,987 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Met Eireann had weather warnings out since Saturday for heavy rain.

What more do you want?

• Advertisement

They raised an alarm on Sat saying some flooding could occur, what more do you expect, the exact time and location?

No technology can do that.

rosser44 wrote: »

"Met Eireann says it expects showers to develop in all areas this evening with up to 70mm of rain expected to fall between now and Tuesday morning." :rolleyes:

We got twice that. Yes twice. A whole 70mm more that was expected by Monday night.

that just shows how wrong they managed to get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

Rain has stopped in Dublin 2 (at TCD). :)

The canal along the red-line Luas was the highest I've ever seen it this morning :( except that bit at Suir Road that's always empty. Could they not open the gate-things and even it off a bit?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,487 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Pass the blame? I didn't blame anyone, you are the one wailing and gnashing teeth that some people weren't able to exactly predict the freaking weather. Its hardly an exact science you know, the old predicting the weather thing. What, do you think that once a budget goes over X amount that they are magically able to sense exactly whats going to drop out of the next ten clouds? :rolleyes:

Even then, the point is that it doesnt matter what Met Eireann did. The rain hit and in a matter of hours the city was flooded. They could not have predicted that, they are certainly not to blame for that.

You really haven't a clue how the real world works do you. Just a reactionary looking for a pitchfork and someone to blame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

Iancar29 wrote: »
    - Tolka River GLasnevin -

Before-
    311428_10150437008246718_631736717_10922991_780417168_n.jpg

After-
    294184_10150437008661718_631736717_10922995_581209994_n.jpg

Video- ( Last Night Going through the floods )

Video - ( Morning of 25th)

I'm glad I'm living on top of the hill opposite to their.Lived in Tolka vale apts during the last flooding there and my car got caught in the basement,wheels seized up!With all the cars out along the road looks like the basement is flooded again.Hmm building apartments in a flood plain,great planning!!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,987 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

70mm......We got twice that. Yes twice.

Oh no we didn't. :)

Pass the blame? I didn't blame anyone, you are the one wailing and gnashing teeth that some people weren't able to exactly predict the freaking weather. Its hardly an exact science you know, the old predicting the weather thing. What, do you think that once a budget goes over X amount that they are magically able to sense exactly whats going to drop out of the next ten clouds? :rolleyes:

Even then, the point is that it doesnt matter what Met Eireann did. The rain hit and in a matter of hours the city was flooded. They could not have predicted that, they are certainly not to blame for that.

You really haven't a clue how the real world works do you. Just a reactionary looking for a pitchfork and someone to blame.

So they should not be blamed? You work for them ya? they got in wrong. Simple as.

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Oh no we didn't. :)

120mm reported on RTe news last night. And that was at 9pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

So they should not be blamed? You work for them ya? they got in wrong. Simple as.

I admire your trolling skills, well done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭rosser44

"Met Eireann says it expects showers to develop in all areas this evening with up to 70mm of rain expected to fall between now and Tuesday morning." :rolleyes:

We got twice that. Yes twice.

Show me the evidence of this supposed 140+ mm of rain please sir??????

Advertisement