Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cement 'layer' between roof slates and front of house

• 24-10-2011 11:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭

OK I know next to nothing about DIY but we have a house like this:

gedc0010l.jpg

We bought it six years ago and they were built around 1980, I imagine the roof is the original.

There's a layer of cement under the roof tiles and a bit of that fell out in the high winds last night. It's right down in the lower right corner and was lying on the ground this morning. There is now a horrendous wooden creaking noise coming with every gust of wind, which was there before but far lower, presumably through a small gap somewhere.

So what or who can we get to fix this, will the whole cement bit need to be replaced or can the gap be filled in, and what do I call it anyway if looking for help?

Any help appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭LK_Dave

Is it possible to get a photo of the damaged area?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

Its mortar that fills the gap under the tiles along the slope of the eave, some people call it a verge. assuming u can get safe access its not a big job, u could get some premixed mortar in woodies and just add water

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

LK_Dave wrote: »
    Is it possible to get a photo of the damaged area?

ps2001.jpg

ps2002.jpg

Here you go, sorry lights not the best but no chance to take during the day at the moment. The last couple of feet to the gutter is where it's missing.

Advertisement