Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sports: (Perma?) Banned from Soccer

Options
  • 24-10-2011 11:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 16,950 ✭✭✭✭
    °°°°°

I recieved a one week ban from soccer yesterday from the moderator Frisbee for "abuse" which I felt was undeserving of a ban. An infraction perhaps might have been fair and I outlined this in my response PM to this moderator. I have yet to hear back from him and I now see that I no longer see the "you have been banned from soccer" notice when I attempt to access that forum, now I get the access request notice.

Have I been banned from the forum for good?
    Is it the policy of boards.ie moderators to ignore messages from users?
    What is going on exactly?

If a mod is going to take the time to hand out bans they should at least have the decency to respond to peoples PM's on the matter.

Glazers Out!

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Hi,Frisbee is in Australia so can take some time to get back to people with the time difference etc.Here is the post you got a card for...
    nullzero wrote: »
    You're a funny guy.
    No hang on you're a ****

This is clearly covered in the charter.
    ABUSE: Prejudice will not be tolerated, in any form. Outbursts of personal abuse be it directed at other board members or at non-boards persons, famous or otherwise, is strictly prohibited. We reserve the right to edit/move/delete such posts as we see fit and issue bans and/or infractions to the poster of such. The basic rule is keeping it civil; you can have friendly banter without resorting to personal abuse

And its also a red card.
    Minor Offences (including but not limited to):
    Abuse of players.
    Threadspoiling
    Flamebaiting in threads.
    Debating moderation in threads.
    Mild flaming or trolling.
    Provocation.
    Derailing or off topic posting in super threads.
    Accusing a member of trolling/being a troll
    Misuse of the Reported Post system
    Back-seat moderation
    Abusing through the thanks system (thanking abusive posts)

Major Offences (including but not limited to):
    Blatant or deliberate breach of charter.
    Misuse of tagging system
    Abuse of users.
    Flaming
    Trolling
    Breaking a boards.ie rule
    Outright abuse (of anyone)

So nothing wrong with the card or ban.I think you answered the question yourself in your OP about the ban length its a week.

Dub13

• Registered Users Posts: 16,950 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Ok so I'll just take it on the chin, even if I would dispute the issue anywhere else (it's your "garden" we all have to play by your rules etc...) so there's no reason to waste my own energy with regard to it any more.

However, regardless of time differences and all other wooly excuses, if somebody puts themself forward to be a mod they should have a clear understanding that they will need to deal with site related issues reasonably regularly.

If Frisbee has something more important going on right now then thats fair enough, there are more important things in life etc... and I won't begrudge him his time to live his life and deal with importnat issues.
    However if he's just not bothering to get back to dealing with the bans he's dishing out then perhaps he should step back as a mod, as I notice I'm not the only person in this forum discussing bans he handed out on Sunday last.

Anyhow thanks for your time in resolving the issue.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,568 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

However, regardless of time differences and all other wooly excuses, if somebody puts themself forward to be a mod they should have a clear understanding that they will need to deal with site related issues reasonably regularly.

Which I have. I kept in pretty regular PM contact with Dub13 and all but two of the users I had to ban on Sunday. One of which was you. I will explain both below.
    However if he's just not bothering to get back to dealing with the bans he's dishing out then perhaps he should step back as a mod, as I notice I'm not the only person in this forum discussing bans he handed out on Sunday last.

The other person I didn't PM back sent me 3 PM's. The first just saying it was for the best I banned them. I logged out and went to be. When I woke up the next day I had two PM's from them. In the second one they sent they said they had started a DRP Thread. Once a DRP thread has been started I am not supposed to have any contact with the user who started it so I was in the right not to PM them back.

Your PM to me was essentially just telling me that I was wrong even though you had very clearly broken one of the main rules of the forum. 99% of the people Mods infract/ban PM them having a píss and a moan. I we were to respond to each one we probabl'y wouldn't ever have time to look at the forum.

The abuse rule you broke is so clear cut and long standing I literally could not have spelt it out any clearer for you by PM than the charter already does.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,950 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Frisbee wrote: »
    Which I have. I kept in pretty regular PM contact with Dub13 and all but two of the users I had to ban on Sunday. One of which was you. I will explain both below.

The other person I didn't PM back sent me 3 PM's. The first just saying it was for the best I banned them. I logged out and went to be. When I woke up the next day I had two PM's from them. In the second one they sent they said they had started a DRP Thread. Once a DRP thread has been started I am not supposed to have any contact with the user who started it so I was in the right not to PM them back.

Your PM to me was essentially just telling me that I was wrong even though you had very clearly broken one of the main rules of the forum. 99% of the people Mods infract/ban PM them having a píss and a moan. I we were to respond to each one we probabl'y wouldn't ever have time to look at the forum.

The abuse rule you broke is so clear cut and long standing I literally could not have spelt it out any clearer for you by PM than the charter already does.

Well to be honest I felt being banned for saying "you're a ****" to someone who insulted me and got away with it wasn't exactly abuse. It's only abuse if you attach a certain meaning to ****, but thats being very technical.
    I felt the rule was being applied far too harshly, and I feel I had been abused by the person I replied to.
    To be honest, you could well have sent me a PM, which would have been just a basic courtesy, instead you're making me out to be unreasonable which I feel is a bit unfair.

I'll take your ban, I won't lose any sleep over it, but to be honest where I once felt the soccer forum was well run comapred to some of the farcical crap that passes for moderation on some baords.ie forums I'm sadly beginning to think soccer is going in the same direction.

Thanks for getting back to me for what its worth, even though you doubtlessly wont have liked what I've had to say, you're taking the time to respond is appreciated.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,945 ✭✭✭trout

Closing this. Marking as resolved.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement