Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix - General discussion & technical queries

Options

Comments

Mickeroo wrote: »
    The most annoying thing is the lack of a to watch/want to watch list, I keep seeing stuff when I'm browsing then forgetting what it is. When they used to still send out dvds you could add streams to your queue, was well handy.

The search also stinks, stuff came up when I was rating, now when I search for it it won't come up. For example when I search The Wire it doesn't come up, Wire in the Blood is the first thing that comes up.

Is that on the Irish store? I know that awhile back that the CEO of Netflix was asked what one show he would love to see streaming on the service and he answered the Wire. Lot of talk that with Starz removing content in the US store, HBO could be one of the companies Netflix goes after

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

The most annoying thing is the lack of a to watch/want to watch list, I keep seeing stuff when I'm browsing then forgetting what it is. When they used to still send out dvds you could add streams to your queue, was well handy.

The search also stinks, stuff came up when I was rating, now when I search for it it won't come up. For example when I search The Wire it doesn't come up, Wire in the Blood is the first thing that comes up.

When you see something you like, play it for 10-20 seconds - it will be in your "previously viewed" section next time you log in.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,238 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Is that on the Irish store? I know that awhile back that the CEO of Netflix was asked what one show he would love to see streaming on the service and he answered the Wire. Lot of talk that with Starz removing content in the US store, HBO could be one of the companies Netflix goes after

The US one. Entourage, Its Always Sunny.... and Freaks and Geeks all came up when I was rating stuff but don't show up in search. I went back through my ratings and clicked on Freaks and Geeks and there is a page for it but it just says Show unavailable, so probably the same for the others.

Was thinking that about the Starz stuff though, would gladly see all that stuff go if it meant they got in HBO.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

do you even have to give an email address?
    Working on my PS3 without any email address.

I was talking about the Iplayer, not Netflix. AFAIK, you do need to sign up for the trial to allow Iplayer to work as it will ask you to verify your account. At least it always has for me on my PS3.

Netflix USA seems to work fine and there doesn't seem to be a need to sign up for the trial.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

HBO could be one of the companies Netflix goes after

Over here though they signed a deal with Sky where all HBO stuff's going on to Sky Atlantic didn't they?

• Advertisement

The US one. Entourage, Its Always Sunny.... and Freaks and Geeks all came up when I was rating stuff but don't show up in search. I went back through my ratings and clicked on Freaks and Geeks and there is a page for it but it just says Show unavailable, so probably the same for the others.

Was thinking that about the Starz stuff though, would gladly see all that stuff go if it meant they got in HBO.

I think it may be a case if them using popular shows to gauge you tastes and recommend shows they have available.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,238 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I was talking about the Iplayer, not Netflix. AFAIK, you do need to sign up for the trial to allow Iplayer to work as it will ask you to verify your account. At least it always has for me on my PS3.

Netflix USA seems to work fine and there doesn't seem to be a need to sign up for the trial.

you mean the bbc Iplayer?

adox wrote: »
    I tried to re sign on my iPad for a new trial, but it wouldn't work. Just kept telling me my trial was over.

Did you try clearing your internet history/ cookies? On my PS3 it said the trial was over when I tried to access the Iplayer but I signed up for a new one with my email address and went into the browser and went to check.unblock-us.com and entered the new email address.

Are you going into an Iplayer app on your ipad? Try going to the website above on a browser and starting a new trial.

Oh and Sky have the HBO contract pretty much sown up over here so I wouldn't hold my breath for any HBO content on Netflix anytime soon.

you mean the bbc Iplayer?

Yep.

Yep.

expat shield is your friend in that case ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,401 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Is the iPlayer accessed through the browser? Could be the difference between it and the Netflix app.

expat shield is your friend in that case ;)

On a PS3?

On a PS3?

ah crud, not sure it it works on that, I was thinknig of a PC

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

Have to laugh at people who think they will get Unblock US for free indefinitely. Do you really think it will be that easy :)
    Unblock-Us.com was created by top software developers who’ve worked for Oracle, Research in Motion, and other leading technology companies.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,401 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I think everyones fully expecting it to stop eventually. But the Netflix PS3 app seems to be - temporarily at least - a hole in the system.

Cazale wrote: »
    Have to laugh at people who think they will get Unblock US for free indefinitely. Do you really think it will be that easy :)

Eh you took that from their website. Hardly gospel and it is in no way relevant to this.

Do you really believe everything you read on websites like unblock-us? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,102 ✭✭✭Technocentral

I think everyones fully expecting it to stop eventually. But the Netflix PS3 app seems to be - temporarily at least - a hole in the system.

Shush, they might be reading this :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Sasquatch76

My UnblockUS trial expired on the second :mad: Signed up for it anyway. $5 per month is insanely good value for all the extra content.

My UnblockUS trial expired on the second :mad: Signed up for it anyway. $5 per month is insanely good value for all the extra content.

Same, my appletv functioned but my mac didn't!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

With Netflix? Mines stopped working with everything else but Netflix is still going strong 11 days after signing up for the free trial.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Sasquatch76

Same, my appletv functioned but my mac didn't!
    Yeah, should have mentioned this was on my PC... I think console owners are getting a bit longer out of it?
    adox wrote: »
    With Netflix? Mines stopped working with everything else but Netflix is still going strong 11 days after signing up for the free trial.
    Yeah, when I went to Netflix today, I was redirected to a page on UnblockUS' site telling me my trial had expired!

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭huggs2

Bumble32 wrote: »
    Using a Mac
    Try pressing F3 Mission control twice or throw your cursor to a hot corner and see if that cures the flashing and going black in full screen mode on netflix. Let me know if it works for you thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

Eh you took that from their website. Hardly gospel and it is in no way relevant to this.

Do you really believe everything you read on websites like unblock-us? :)

Eh of course its relevant. The people behind unblock-us are no mugs yet posters on here are convinced they will be able to get free access by just not signing up for a paid account after their trial is over. Fanciful!

I signed up for it, and it's legit and works!

Does anyone using OS X Lion get DNS working in their system preferences network pane. I have the dns on my linksys router but when I mobile hotspot my iPhone to my laptop I want to use american Netflix but I don't think my Mac is using the custom DNS's I gave it! Help! It's weird because on my iPad, when it connects to the phone and I give it the DNS values, it TOTALLY works! Just not on my laptop.

Anyone having trouble getting onto netflix?

When I try to access it a blank white page comes up with the words "Click Here" in the top left corner.

It might something to do with unblock-us, anyone have trouble when the changing houses? I was at home when I set it up now I'm in college.

Edit: Nevermind, mysteriously working now
    Cazale wrote: »
    Eh of course its relevant. The people behind unblock-us are no mugs yet posters on here are convinced they will be able to get free access by just not signing up for a paid account after their trial is over. Fanciful!

Dude nobody is saying that as already has been pointed out. People are saying it is actually working after the trial runs out for now on the playstation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Phibsboro

Beagslife wrote: »
    For anyone needing/using a vpn service, www.overplay.net as well as offering a great range of vpn server locations (incl Ireland, UK, US) now includes a SmartDNS feature. It seems to be basically the same as what the unblock-us service offers. It is included in their $9.95 monthly fee.

I am based in Portugal. I have set SmartDNS up on my main router and I can now access hulu, BBC iPlayer, 4OD, RTE Player etc on all my web devices without going down the vpn route. I can still use the direct vpn feature when required.

I have set up a second router with Overplay’s DD-WRT specific router vpn application. It allows me to connect the router directly to any of their vpn servers. I have my Sony Bravia connected to this router. I can therefore watch the TV3 Player content directly on my tv (when set to Irish server) or iPlayer and Demand 5 (when set to UK). Still waiting for RTE Player on the Sony Bravia platform! Using the second router means I keep my full internet speed for the rest of the house.

I am not a tech expert, so I found their tech support great. They have detailed info on their site but will also walk you through the set up process if needed.

As an emigrant, it has been a great solution for viewing Irish content abroad. I hope this helps someone else out there.

By the way, does anyone have any idea when Netflix (Irl & UK) will be available on the Sony Bravia platform? I can get it on my tv when routed to the US. I will definitely sign up to Netflix, if I can get it directly on my tv.

another +1 here, I actually have Overplay and was just about to rip my router apart to get openwrt on to do an openvpn install. Didn't realise they had added the smart dns service, two mins later i'm on the full US site on apple tv - yay :D Now to try iplayer...

Where's the flury of TV shows we should have by like this sunday that netflix promised?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭daveyboy_1ie

Where's the flury of TV shows we should have by like this sunday that netflix promised?

Did not see this being promised, where did you notice that?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭nicklauski

Did not see this being promised, where did you notice that?

They had a post on their facebook page saying
    With a whole raft of new TV shows set to hit Netflix in the next ten days, a few NEW movies you can check out include Little White Lies starring Marion Cotillard, Tyler Perry's Why Did I Get Married Too? with the one and only Janet Jackson and Hindi rom-com Aisha.

That was on the 19th.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭daveyboy_1ie

Ah, that's how I never seen it then :)

Looking forward to the expansion, hopefully happens soon.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement