Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Closing your Boards.ie Account

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭The Left Hand Of God

OK so what if you had an account that was started in 1999 and the T&C's were basically Regi saying welcome and some standard VB blurb.

Then when the T&C's changed a person decided that it was an affront to their nature and said person decided to use throw away accounts as logging in under their old account was an agreement to the new T&C's

So that person has no connection with their old account via IP address etc but would like all their old account details deleted, including their posts.

How do they do that? By email? They can't log in due to the T&C's?

Other than that it is a nice move to add this functionality.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,174 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

OK so what if you had an account that was started in 1999 and the T&C's were basically Regi saying welcome and some standard VB blurb.

Then when the T&C's changed a person decided that it was an affront to their nature and said person decided to use throw away accounts as logging in under their old account was an agreement to the new T&C's

So that person has no connection with their old account via IP address etc but would like all their old account details deleted, including their posts.

How do they do that? By email? They can't log in due to the T&C's?

Other than that it is a nice move to add this functionality.
    Who's agreeing to the Terms and Conditions, an account comprised of electrons or a Person?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Alopex

Judging by the style of the president of ireland election no one on boards will ever have a hope of becoming president or even an MP unless they're allowed remove their posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭The Left Hand Of God

Overheal wrote: »
    Who's agreeing to the Terms and Conditions, an account comprised of electrons or a Person?

Electrons.

Your answer?

• Advertisement

Electrons.

Your answer?
    So your electrons are liable for damages in court, not you?

I wasn't aware that handguns got the death penalty.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Aren't we all made of electrons?

Aren't we all made of electrons?
    -_-

wanna debate metaphysics? I'll debate metaphysics...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Overheal wrote: »
    I'll debate metaphysics...

Thermodynamic metaphysics please...........I like warm electrons.....:p

There's a certain morbid fascination to those 'close account' buttons....

RedButton+-+Don%27t+Push.jpg

(Just seen post 18 now, I should read the full thread before posting......)

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Nothing happens when I push the red button. Shall I keep pushing it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Just follow the instructions.....some people, I swear......:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

I still think down the line boards will have to give people more rights to control what they have put up on the site.

An addition I would like to see is the option for users, when they are closing their accounts, to change their username also, I think a few people have done that before?

In all likelihood I will be closing my own account sometime before Christmas for a number of reasons, chief among them the fact that I have spoken a bit too freely and given away a bit too much personal info. Its a bit frightening when people search through your posts and gather enough information to enable them to track you down on facebook to leave you rather menacing messages containing some personal info that must have taken ages to gather. Its not that big of a deal, but its hassle I'd rather not have...

Thats not to say that I'm afraid or unwilling to be associated in real life with my posts (political ones for instance) but I posted a good deal of things under the cover of anonymity, personal stuff, and now that that anonymity is gone I've lost confidence in my account.

I certainly never realized the extent of personal information I gave away, and I underestimated the willingness of someone to trawl through 14000 or so posts in order to gather info about me, why would you be arsed!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Kadongy

Wolfe Tone wrote: »
    I still think down the line boards will have to give people more rights to control what they have put up on the site.

An addition I would like to see is the option for users, when they are closing their accounts, to change their username also, I think a few people have done that before?

In all likelihood I will be closing my own account sometime before Christmas for a number of reasons, chief among them the fact that I have spoken a bit too freely and given away a bit too much personal info. Its a bit frightening when people search through your posts and gather enough information to enable them to track you down on facebook to leave you rather menacing messages containing some personal info that must have taken ages to gather. Its not that big of a deal, but its hassle I'd rather not have...

Thats not to say that I'm afraid or unwilling to be associated in real life with my posts (political ones for instance) but I posted a good deal of things under the cover of anonymity, personal stuff, and now that that anonymity is gone I've lost confidence in my account.

I certainly never realized the extent of personal information I gave away, and I underestimated the willingness of someone to trawl through 14000 or so posts in order to gather info about me, why would you be arsed!?
    be careful you dont get dodgy stuff installed, or get caught by phishing.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Wolfe Tone wrote: »

While there's nothing we can do about stuff left on external sites such as facebook, if you have a concern about the content of any visitor messages or PMs you receive please ensure that you report them. Action may not be appropriate all the time, but where it is it will be taken against the sender.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Ye might want to stop people from adding 'Closed Account' as a tag-line

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Ye might want to stop people from adding 'Closed Account' as a tag-line

Cheers. I'll add this to Dav's to-do list.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

I suppose adding the following options to the closing reasons menu are out of the question :

* The Voices In My Head Are Making Me Do It
    * I Am Drunk
    * Just For Giggles
    * I Just Want To See What The Steps To Close An Account Are
    * I Have Been Blasted With Piss On One Too Many Occasions
    * I've Been Braped
    * I Am Joining An Alternative Religious Group Who Believe The Internet Is Evil - Vote For Jesus

Anyway, just asking.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

Plazaman wrote: »
    I suppose adding the following options to the closing reasons menu are out of the question :

* The Voices In My Head Are Making Me Do It
    * I Am Drunk
    * Just For Giggles
    * I Just Want To See What The Steps To Close An Account Are
    * I Have Been Blasted With Piss On One Too Many Occasions
    * I've Been Braped
    * I Am Joining An Alternative Religious Group Who Believe The Internet Is Evil - Vote For Jesus

Anyway, just asking.

*this is a cry for help, please pay me some attention

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

It should send a confirmation email to you first though I think. There will be a lot of people braped!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It should send a confirmation email to you first though I think. There will be a lot of people braped!
    You need to know the password for your account to confirm deletion.

If you're stupid enough to give your password to someone who might misuse it in this way, you deserve everything that happens to you :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

seamus wrote: »
    You need to know the password for your account to confirm deletion.

If you're stupid enough to give your password to someone who might misuse it in this way, you deserve everything that happens to you :)
    You not familiar with a brape?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Conor

Tallon wrote: »
    You not familiar with a brape?

Wouldn't that normally be where someone leaves their browser logged in?

You need to know the password, being logged in isn't enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Conor wrote: »
    Wouldn't that normally be where someone leaves their browser logged in?

You need to know the password, being logged in isn't enough.
    Ah yes, apologies!

Yes, in that case, tough luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

What happens if users come back as zombies?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Conor

TheZohan wrote: »
    What happens if users come back as zombies?!

It's OK. We separate the <head> from the <body>. :D

Tallon wrote: »
    Ah yes, apologies!

Yes, in that case, tough luck
    You took it away from me:P

But some of us have a password key chain thingy where you just double click and it comes up!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Still your issue, no?

Still your issue, no?
    I guess it is

• Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

I've noticed a lot of trolls trolling the place then closing their accounts before they get banned, some of them only put up one post then close it!
    Would it be an idea to have a minimum post count before you can close your account? Nothing major, even 10 or so so that trolls can be caught and banned before they close their own account!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭Hal Emmerich

How many have used this since it became available?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement