Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Closing your Boards.ie Account

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Kadongy

alwaysadub wrote: »
    I've noticed a lot of trolls trolling the place then closing their accounts before they get banned, some of them only put up one post then close it!
    Would it be an idea to have a minimum post count before you can close your account? Nothing major, even 10 or so so that trolls can be caught and banned before they close their own account!
    I dont see the difference between them closing their account and being banned. Closing their account is kinda like banning themselves anyway.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Kadongy wrote: »
    I dont see the difference between them closing their account and being banned. Closing their account is kinda like banning themselves anyway.

Their trail of crap still has to get nuked though.

Their trail of crap still has to get nuked though.
    Yeah but banning someone doesn't erase their trail of crap either.

Otherwise people wanting all their posts to be removed could just put up tubgirl or something :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

I'd just like to say that I approve of this. Good job boards! :)

o/

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

I'd just like to say that I approve of this. Good job boards! :)

o/
    and now you're gone too. WTF?
    This is like a suicide thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Wow.. It's good that the option to close your account is there, but sad to see good posters avail of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

most depressing thread ever....

I'll do it, I'll ****ing do it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭The Left Hand Of God

Overheal wrote: »
    So your electrons are liable for damages in court, not you?

I wasn't aware that handguns got the death penalty.

What are you on about? Is that one of those strawmen things? Slight of hand? I asked a pretty straightforward question.

Now I get the impression you would love to be an admin but maybe just fuk off somewhere and let someone sensible answer my question rather than rambling on about sh1te that isn't funny?

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

What are you on about? Is that one of those strawmen things? Slight of hand? I asked a pretty straightforward question.

Now I get the impression you would love to be an admin but maybe just fuk off somewhere and let someone sensible answer my question rather than rambling on about sh1te that isn't funny?

Thanks.

Leave out the abusive language please.

• Advertisement

Zaph wrote: »
    Leave out the abusive language please.

Noted.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,174 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I think it was a rather straightforward problem from a legal standpoint. An 'account' doesn't agree to the Terms and Conditions, a Person does. A person controls the account. "You agree to abide by the terms and conditions", not "your account agrees to abide by the terms and conditions".

I mean if we were really going to go that route what would that say about the US Military and it's use of drone warfare? Or pedophiles who use world of warcraft to arrange victims for themselves? "It wasn't me officer, it was the Night Elf. Arrest the Night Elf."

I don't know how much simpler to make the point: You agree to abide by the terms and conditions. Whether or not you have used the same account to continue using the site or not, You are still using the site, and in doing so have agreed to the terms and conditions. The answer to your question then is yeah, you have to contact the office by email (hello@boards.ie) to close the account, I reckon, if you are that concerned about it. I suppose you could make the argument about whether the account created new posts since the T&C changed though. Either way, electrons aren't the ones agreeing to the T&C.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Danny

How many have used this since it became available?

286 closed accounts so far.

RIP:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭Hal Emmerich

Golly! That's alot. 240 more than I would have guessed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Golly! That's alot. 240 more than I would have guessed.

Some of them could be posters with multiple accounts changing their evil ways:pac:

Overheal wrote: »
    I think it was a rather straightforward problem from a legal standpoint. An 'account' doesn't agree to the Terms and Conditions, a Person does. A person controls the account. "You agree to abide by the terms and conditions", not "your account agrees to abide by the terms and conditions".

I mean if we were really going to go that route what would that say about the US Military and it's use of drone warfare? Or pedophiles who use world of warcraft to arrange victims for themselves? "It wasn't me officer, it was the Night Elf. Arrest the Night Elf."

I don't know how much simpler to make the point: You agree to abide by the terms and conditions. Whether or not you have used the same account to continue using the site or not, You are still using the site, and in doing so have agreed to the terms and conditions. The answer to your question then is yeah, you have to contact the office by email (hello@boards.ie) to close the account, I reckon, if you are that concerned about it. I suppose you could make the argument about whether the account created new posts since the T&C changed though. Either way, electrons aren't the ones agreeing to the T&C.

That's not really an answer. It is an answer in the sense that what you say is true but it is not the answer to my question.

I will ask a more simpler version. Not for you but the actual people who can provide a proper answer. Dav and the team.

If a user had a boards account from 2000 to 2003. Never used boards since. When they signed up it said "Hi and Welcome"

Could they have all their posts history deleted as the new T&C's more or less infer that prior to them they didn't exist? If you get me?

I say it is more a question for Dav and the team really as they have the ability to seek a proper legal answer rather than finding a square'ish peg to fit a square hole.

Corsendonk wrote: »
    Some of them could be posters with multiple accounts changing their evil ways:pac:
    -if not all of them.
    Doubt most people wanting to close primary accounts would use them enough to stumble across this thread so quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

How many of them are >2000 posts (to pluck a number out of my ass) and how many regged before say 2009?

It has been pointed out to me that there may be some confusion regarding the total number of closed accounts. 286 is the total number of accounts marked as closed on Boards. It is not the number of people who have closed their accounts since this feature was made publicly available.

Previously, account closures have been available through Dav (via hello@ or the contact page). I do not have figures on how many accounts have been closed since the feature was made public.

It isn't my place to give a breakdown of X/Y/Z for closed accounts either.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Wow, did you get a talking to??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

-Chris- wrote: »

Have you considered it Chris....:pac::pac:

If herself finds the close account button I will be gone for sure..

-Chris- wrote: »

Nope, not at all - it is the weekend after all ;) I was in a rush earlier so it may have come across a bit sharp but I don't see the point in running stats or analysing people who took the decision to close their accounts. The fact my username has Boards.ie: prefixed to it doesn't mean I can't make my own decisions :)

*avoids Feedback :pac:*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

It isn't my place to give a breakdown of X/Y/Z for closed accounts either.
    No probs. It was just idle curiosity. I've seen old and new accounts closed since the feature was made available.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Kadongy wrote: »
    It just doesn't give me the same satisfaction when they close their account before I ban them.

biko wrote: »
    It just doesn't give me the same satisfaction when they close their account before I ban them.
    Is it kinda like someone saying "You can't fire me! - I quit!"?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Ha, yeah that's it :D

Hi Danny. I emailed hello@boards.ie an received a reply form Nicola so thank her for that.
    How can I get a job like you?

Hi Danny. I emailed hello@boards.ie an received a reply form Nicola so thank her for that.
    How can I get a job like you?

What Nicola & Dav do (Community-based work) is entirely different to what myself and the other guys do (Tech-based work). If you are actually interested in a tech role then Distilled Media have plenty of opportunities you can check out on the Adverts.ie Jobs Page.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

eVeNtInE wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

I like the Deleted Poster idea for the reasons you state, but would take it a little further and add a number at the end. If you had an old thread with a few closed accounts it could get confusing which deleted poster is which. Numbering changes a previously known username to an anonymous number, yet wont be confusing in threads, as you can distinguish "deleted user 101" from "deleted user 293"

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement