Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dingle Ultra

Options
  • 24-10-2011 1:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭

I see Entries are soon opening for Dingle races. Again with the proviso for the ultra that it wont happen unless there are 100 entrants.
    I hope that he doesnt close prematurely again as many people cant decide until at least a few months before it .

If I can get fit and strong enough in time, I think I will have a go .Anyone else interested?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I was emailing him yesterday. I was hoping to set it as my goal race for 2012 a few months ago, can't see myself doing it now though as I've all sorts of other plands :) Great race last year, I would highly recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

I'll put my name down and really hope it will happen again. It was just brilliant in 2010.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

They will do well to get 100 to commit early. Did the full there this year and it was decent. Ill be back next year but foot know which race yet.

They're not looking for 100 people to commit. They're looking for 100 people who are interested...

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭jeffontour

Setting themselves up for a fall having a proviso like that in it if you ask me. To build a race like this you need to accept low numbers for a year or two I think until it's builds a name for itself.

I don't want to start training for something that may or may not take place.

• Advertisement

Yep, 100 is a silly number. In 2010 they had 64 or so registrants and only 50 something ran. Effectively they're looking to double the numbers of an event that took place 2 years ago. Either he wants to have an ultra there, and it is a great place for an ultra and a great route - but you have to be willing to lose money at the start to make gains in the future.

He's only looking to gauge interest really, but there were a lot of disappointed people in 2011 when they found out that it wasn't happening this year so the interest is there, he just needs to set his sights a little lower...

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Vitamin T

I'm hoping to give it a go for next year too. It'll be my first race of longer distance than a marathon and thought it sounded like a good intro to ultra distance running.

I'm a little bit worried about how my shins/knees will hold up for that distance with it all being run on road though! Anybody got any insight from experience?

Vitamin T wrote: »
    I'm a little bit worried about how my shins/knees will hold up for that distance with it all being run on road though! Anybody got any insight from experience?

I did most of my long runs on trails/off-road, but had plenty of road miles in my legs. They held up just fine for the race itself, but I got an Achilles injury in the weeks after the race.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭iamjenko

I had signed up for it this year and was pretty disappointed it didnt go ahead. Ended up doing the Causeway Coast Ultra which was great! Dunno if would bother signing up again for Dingle

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭Zuppy

I am not sure a 100 is a realistic number considering the number of ultra runners in the country, the fact the race didnt have a 100 runners before and the non event last year. The non event will hurt numbers the most as you won't find too many people training for the distance on the hope the race will run.

This by all reports and accounts from 2010 was a great race and I hope it will continue but maybe a two or three year build up to large numbers would be more realistic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Murta

I'm hoping Dingle Ultra goes ahead. I kinda have my heart set on it being my first Ultra plus the timing of it my other plans. If not I'll have to look for an alternative. I like the look of the Causeway Coast ultra but it's likely to be too close to Berlin. Conemarathon ultra ruled out as too close to Boston.
    Anyone know of any nice ones for a first timer between July and September.

Murta wrote: »
    Anyone know of any nice ones for a first timer between July and September.

Portumna, 50k or 100k on a loop course
    Edit: Actually, that's in June.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Murta

Thanks TBF. Portumna 50K is one to consider (only a few miles further than a marathon but still qualifies as an Ultra). 10 laps of 5km doesn't appeal but route being scenic will help prevent/ease boredom factor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭Mr Marenghi

I'd be very interested. Want to try Connemara as a 1st Ultra, then maybe this.

But is it too close to run a good Dublin marathon ?

But is it too close to run a good Dublin marathon ?

Almost certainly, yes.

Last year I ran Dublin as a pacer. I would not have been able to do myself justice had I tried to race Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 run101

Hi Guys,

I said it was worth posting a few points on this.

Right now I am only trying to see if it is possible that we can get 100 or so. It is only to see what kind of numbers/what kind of interest is out there.

If we can get 100 or so interested people (100 emails), I will open up for registration.

If this happens, we will open in January. Once open we will stay open and the event will go ahead 100%.

2010 was a superb event. 2011 was disappointing. I dont want to run an event with only a few on the course. Its not worth it from all perspectives.

I feel this is the best approach. This way people will know nice and early with certainty whether this is happening or not.

Ken
    ken@dinglemarathon.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭ray lanigan

i would love to run this in 2012,bring on the dingle ultra

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 ReillyGeb

Similar . Hope this happens in 2012. Running up and over the Connor Pass is one of my ambitions. (Get me help please)

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Ath36

Hi Ken
    How is interest in ultra going. Are you close to the 100 interested target.
    Is this likely to happen in 2012?

Advertisement