Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garmin Edge 500

• 24-10-2011 1:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭

Is it worth it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,776 ✭✭✭C3PO

Yes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

"Is it worth it?" depends entirely on what you need out of it.

Do you just want to know how fast you are going? Do you need GPS?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭Plastik

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    "Is it worth it?" depends entirely on what you need out of it.

Do you just want to know how fast you are going? Do you need GPS?

Yes.

Yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

Get the 800:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

I think the question is, are you worth it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭cantalach

Yes, it's worth it. And once you get one, be sure to join Strava. Makes solo training a lot more fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭aquanaut

cantalach wrote: »
    Yes, it's worth it. And once you get one, be sure to join Strava. Makes solo training a lot more fun.

+1 on Edge 500 - get HRM / cadence - as for Strava, any other in agreement? I just use connect, but wondering if mapmyride etc get much good reviews (for Ireland)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭Plastik

For me, its all about Strava. It makes every solo spin a competition!

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭aquanaut

Plastik wrote: »
    For me, its all about Strava. It makes every solo spin a competition!

Just found you all on Strava! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭not sane

Took the plunge its in post. Whats so good about strava?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 304 ✭✭mfdc

not sane wrote: »
    Took the plunge its in post. Whats so good about strava?

Anyone can mark a segment of road and Strava creates a leaderboard for it. In practice this means marking out all the hills, so you can see how you fare against everyone else on the climbs, but you can also mark out flat bits of road (or descents) and TT along them to try and get the best time.

It's all automatically done once you create a segment, Strava parses out times from all the rides already uploaded. Also whenever you upload a ride it goes through and picks out any segments you've done, and lets you know if you beat your own best time on that segment or if you've gone up the leaderboard. Introduces some incentive to put the hammer down when out on a solo spin :)

edit: here's an example from another thread - if you rode up Stocking Lane and uploaded your ride, you'd show up somewhere in that leaderboard. Ride up it again and it would let you know if you beat your previous time and moved up the board or not, all automatically.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Special Red

Hoping Santy will bring a Garmin 500 to me.

As for Strava, excellent app/tool when you are on the bike as outlined by previous contributors on here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

I wonder if he's on Strava:confused:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Santy claims to already have my present, which is annoying, as I hadn't told her that this is what I wanted :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭levitronix

Anyone know if the joule gps will work with strava ?

Advertisement