Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Squeezing Weanlings

• 24-10-2011 2:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭

Hey lads,

I have a few weanlings bought in recently;
    they will all be wintered, some in slats & some outwintered, put to grass next summer, & sold as stores next back end.
    When is the best time to squeeze them, now or next spring? (they need to be squeezed before the grass as i'm not set up for bulls)
    I reckon they will thrive better as bulls for the winter & squeeze them at turnout next April?
    Any opinions/experiences would be appreciated

CC

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

far too old to be squeezed as yearlings. Correct me if i'm wrong but I dont think its legal to castrate them when they're that old

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Agree with bogman.

The older that they are when you do the job on them, the harder on them it will be. It will stunt their growth. Better to stunt their growth when housing than when they are being let out and you want them to thrive on cheap feed (grass).

Don't know what the max legal age is, but I'd always try to do one that I'd be keeping at under 6 months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

Wait till the weather is good and they're well settled in before doing them. Less pneumonia !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

pakalasa wrote: »
    Wait till the weather is good and they're well settled in before doing them. Less pneumonia !

I'm led to believe they swell less if squeezed when out rather than done on housing on slats.
    I have done bulls on slats myself and they were fine though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 258 ✭✭charityboy

anyone ever use the bands on them ,heard it not supposed to be as hard on them never used them myself though

• Advertisement

charityboy wrote: »
    anyone ever use the bands on them ,heard it not supposed to be as hard on them never used them myself though

I never used the bands but I know a man that does. It's my understanding that they go on very young and are unsuitable for weanlings that you would buy in. He tells me they are a great job though!

Bizzum wrote: »
    I'm led to believe they swell less if squeezed when out rather than done on housing on slats.

When I said to wait till they settled in, I meant settle in the farm. Far better to do them while they are still out alright.

As for the bands, we got the vet in to castrate a bought in 18 month bull once. He insisted ( the vet that is, not the bull :D) on banding him. When I said to him, why don't you use the burdizzo. His reply was - "Do you want to do him?". Far easier put on a band on a strong bull. Dont forget the tetanus injection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭BeeDI

Wait till the moon is going back! Very important, if you want to minimise swelling.

BeeDI wrote: »
    Wait till the moon is going back! Very important, if you want to minimise swelling.

Does Lunar Tidal Pull have that much of an impact on swelling??? :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭BeeDI

reilig wrote: »
    Does Lunar Tidal Pull have that much of an impact on swelling??? :D:D:D

Listen, just because you brown nosed your way, to a moderators job, doesn't mean that you can laugh at thousands of years of mans observations as to the effect of the moon.:D:D
    I would NEVER, squeeze a bull unless the moon is waning. It has a significant effect.:cool:

• Advertisement

BeeDI wrote: »
    Listen, just because you brown nosed your way, to a moderators job, doesn't mean that you can laugh at thousands of years of mans observations as to the effect of the moon.:D:D
    I would NEVER, squeeze a bull unless the moon is waning. It has a significant effect.:cool:

I don't doubt you . . . . . But thousands would ;):D

Well, the recent bad weather also coincides with the the full tide. Full or highest tide was on Friday (Galway). That's why the old people waited for the moon to wane. You're more likely to get good weather. Based on observations rather than superstition.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭F.D

so what is the regs towards squeezing them leaving moons aside,
    age limit? (not sucklers)
    are u required to give them anistetic (heard of a few lads injecting them with penicillin at the same time to stop swelling)

When I said to wait till they settled in, I meant settle in the farm. Far better to do them while they are still out alright.

Just to clarify, that too is what I understood from your earlier post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭adne

Bizzum wrote: »

As for the bands, we got the vet in to castrate a bought in 18 month bull once. He insisted ( the vet that is, not the bull :D) on banding him. When I said to him, why don't you use the burdizzo. His reply was - "Do you want to do him?". Far easier put on a band on a strong bull. Dont forget the tetanus injection.

Why would u castrate an 18 Mth old bull??

adne wrote: »

I can't answer for Pakalasa, but in our case over the years we would have ended up with the very odd strong one or a bull that would either slip through the loop or be bought in. When your set up is for bullocks and not bulls, the burdizzo may be introduced!

adne wrote: »

This is going back a while, before bulls became fashionable. Bought in and we were planning on keeping him for another year. Didn't want the hassle of dealing with a bull.

Advertisement