Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What to feed weanling heifers.

• 24-10-2011 2:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭

Just wondering whats the best ration to feed weanling heifers that I intend keeping. They are charolais and parth. I was warned not to feed anything to the parths that would make them too fat, as I would have problems calving, so was wondering whats a good feed to promote growth as opposed to weight? Is it high protein for growth?
    Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

Are they weanling heifers or incalf heifers? Protein for growth energy for fattening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

We would usually have a pen of weanling heifers on the slats, on rubber, they would get good silage and few lbs of general ration to keep them warm over the winter, till about the end of Jan. they would go out to good grass and kick on from there.
    If they are weanlings now, and are going to the bull next backend, a few lb of ration over this winter won't fatten them but will just keep them growing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭johnpawl

Thanks for the replies. I have them on 19% protein calf nuts at present mixed with weanling crunch, 50% of each. Am I ok to just continue on with this? roughly how much each should they be getting? Some of the heifers are pedigree so i'm trying to keep them thriving

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭wiggy123

i'd be in the same boat...have 4 weanling angus heifers(purebreds)they have height+size to them..will be outdoors this winter all going well--have a few acres of aftergrass(strong) for them debating about strip grazing it.or lettin them have it all?? 3 acres!! what would u do??
    also plan to give them maybe a lb of a coarse ration each--just to keep them ticking over! not fattening them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭case 5150

wiggy123 wrote: »
    i'd be in the same boat...have 4 weanling angus heifers(purebreds)they have height+size to them..will be outdoors this winter all going well--have a few acres of aftergrass(strong) for them debating about strip grazing it.or lettin them have it all?? 3 acres!! what would u do??
    also plan to give them maybe a lb of a coarse ration each--just to keep them ticking over! not fattening them

if it was me i would strip graze them as i find there inclined to walk it into the ground and waste more than they eat, i would feed about 1.5kg/head just to keep them ticking along

• Advertisement
Advertisement