Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question on my rights for faulty replacement parts...

Options
  • 24-10-2011 2:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

Hi, sorry if this has been asked before but I couldn't find anything about it.

I have a laptop that had a faulty charger replaced under warranty about 18 months ago. The laptop is no longer under warranty but the replacement charger has just packed in again.

I know there is an EU directive ( 99/44/EC I think) guaranteeing electrical goods for 2 years after purchase; but does this also apply to replacement parts?

Could someone offer any advice on this please?

Kev

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,690 ✭✭✭whippet

your purchase date of the charger would be classified as when you bought the original item (notebook). I would assume that the notebook was bought between 18mts - 30mts ago considering you got the replacement 18 months ago.

This would have a bearing on your claim under the EU directive.

from experience, batteries and a/c adaptors are very common failure items and should your original purchase be almost 3 years ago wouldn't be covered.

The key to this is that you didn't purchase the 'replacement' adaptor 18 months ago ....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

You can buy laptop chargers for less than £10 on ebay. They all go bust particularly around the output from the charger. I wouldn't bother about it and just get one of these as I've done for more than one laptop.

Also the type of fault is commonly a wear and tear fault even though they really should be designed to be more resilient, they are all designed the same.

Advertisement