Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chèvre - goats cheese

Options
  • 24-10-2011 2:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭

Is there anyone else here on the forum who has a specific lactose (or milk protein) intolerance whereby they cannot tolerate cow milk/cheese but can process goat or sheep cheese ?

I fall into that category (as does 1 of my 3 brothers).
    I've often meant to get it checked to understand the nature of the intolerance.

Anyway... on to Goats cheese or the chèvre type which I have only recently discovered (in my 40s!).
    I've purchased the little bars of it from Aldi.
    I really like it. Spreading it is a bit difficult (any tips or serving suggestions?)

Are there other brands of chèvre or similar available in Irish outlets worth trying ?
    From what I can make out the Loire valley and Charentes/Poitou/Viennes are the best regions for this type of cheese.

The cheeses which seem to agree with me are chèvre, feta and halloumi.
    I can just about get away with some pesto sauces which have a very light cheese content. Some may contain peccorino , which I believe is made from a sheep milk curd.

-ifc

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

There is a whole world of non-cow cheese out there!! I'd pop into a cheese shop and start exploring. You've mentioned most of the supermarket available cheese in your post. You can get chevre in tubs that's a little more spreadable. Or you could just whizz it up with some liquid to make it easier to spread.

Was once in a restaurant that had TWO mahoosive cheese trollies, one was cow and one was goat/sheep. Fantastic!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Regarding your food intolerances - the folks in Nutrition & Diet can be a good source of information.

Advertisement