Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Road Running in Letterkenny

Options
  • 24-10-2011 2:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭

I just starting running on a treadmill in the gym. I enjoy it but would also like to run outdoors from time to time. Can anyone recommend a 5 km run around Letterkenny area, which is not to hilly.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭mk2

martyeds wrote: »
    I just starting running on a treadmill in the gym. I enjoy it but would also like to run outdoors from time to time. Can anyone recommend a 5 km run around Letterkenny area, which is not to hilly.
    Start in aura take a left run to the grave yard and back roughly 5k or there abouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Pique

Please do NOT run on the road. Use the footpaths or the hard shoulder.

Do not run in a group 3-4 abreast and do not act like you own the road.
    Visibility these evenings has dramatically dropped.
    Dark, wet evenings with heavy traffic and these idiots are encountered regularly by myself on the Pearse road.
    I'm amazed no-one has been hit yet, but they will one day.
    The driver may be in the wrong (insanely), but the runner will be in the hospital.

I'd love to know where these people are during the bright summer evenings....not a sign of them on the roads then (when it would be much safer!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭paulmclaughlin

http://runkeeper.com/

Perfect for planning routes and even shows elevation and hills!

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭martyeds

Pique wrote: »

Dark, wet evenings with heavy traffic and these idiots are encountered regularly by myself on the Pearse road.
    The driver may be in the wrong (insanely), but the runner will be in the hospital.

I'd love to know where these people are during the bright summer evenings....not a sign of them on the roads then (when it would be much safer!).

Hope i don't meet you while i'm running.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Pique

martyeds wrote: »
    Hope i don't meet you while i'm running.

If you run like the idiots I described...then ditto mate !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

Pique wrote: »

Running on footpaths would still be described as road running! It's catchier than footpath running :pac:

But I agree, why some people run without reflectives is beyond me, costs nothing. And add to that the number of people who run across the road without looking for a car, stupidity!

Runkeeper is excellent for planning routes and Letterkenny is a great town for running. If you use the community centre as a start point its handy. You can get your 5k done starting there, going past the cinema, and on the Neil T Blaney road to behind the IT and back to the CC. And no hills!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭yourpics

There are 2 running tracks at the Community Centre and the Aura Centre.

12.5 laps = 5 KM

Much safer options

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

yourpics wrote: »

Much safer options

But boring as fook! Grand starting off but once you up your distance running anything over 3 miles on the track is awful, never mind 10!

I run and have never had a close call with a car, because I run in good light with reflectives and the only time I go on the road is to cross it or avoid ignorant people on the foot path, and even then I don't run out blind onto the road!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭paulmclaughlin

yourpics wrote: »

12.5 laps = 5 KM

Much safer options

Road running is safe if you stick to footpaths and wear the proper reflective gear.

But boring as fook! Grand starting off but once you up your distance running anything over 3 miles on the track is awful, never mind 10!

I run and have never had a close call with a car, because I run in good light with reflectives and the only time I go on the road is to cross it or avoid ignorant people on the foot path, and even then I don't run out blind onto the road!

Yeah fair play to those who are vigilant and careful!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭martyeds

Thanks for all the safety tips and i have to agree footpath is quite a mouthful.
    Any motorists here should not worry about me running blind onto the road.....such is my fitness levels, you could get out and change a wheel and i still wouldnt have reached the other side of the road! :D

Does anyone know if there are many into mountain running up here?

http://www.imra.ie/

Advertisement