Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A classy perfume that is popular

• 24-10-2011 2:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Classact

I often out and about, get the scent of a lovely perfume but never find it in myself to ask the person what they are wearing. I am 32 and looking to buy a classy perfume that is well liked...... Could people post up their favourite perfume or one that they don't mind spending some money on or Is your favourite perfume a not so expensive one and that you just love....

Would love to have a perfume that I could always use. I find I just use what I may get as presents from one year to next!!!!

Would love to hear your favourites and why?!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 184 ✭✭Jennypops

Oh perfume, my favourite thing!

I love Jo Malone- Vanilla & Anise and Blue Agave & Cacao..both beautiful warm scents that last forever.

Also love Tom Ford Black Orchid, smells a bit strange on first spray but once it settle on skin its fab..have had a few comments wearing this as it is unusual, I love it.

My next purchase is Jo Malone Dark Amber & Gingerlilly..quite simply the most beautiful perfume I ever smelt.

I like warm spicy smells, never was a CK fan or any of those watery smells that remind me of cheap showergel..I like a perfume to last on my skin all day and to not smell like a teenagers bedroom after an Impulse frenzy!

Best thing to do is head into perfume counters, narrow down to a few perfumes you like and ask for samples or spray it on a small piece of fabric..be careful not to smell too many though as your senses stop picking it up properly.

What may smell lovely on someone else may not suit you and your skins reaction with it, for example Angel smells absolutely gorgeous on my cousin whereas on my its like a pound shop candle gone wrong.

What sort of smells do you like? Do you like floral, musky, sweet, clean..identify what sort of smell you want and go from there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

Jennypops wrote: »
    My next purchase is Jo Malone Dark Amber & Gingerlilly..quite simply the most beautiful perfume I ever smelt.

Can you still get that? I had it before but I couldn't find it anywhere when it ran out, they said it was a limited edition. It's amazing alright.

rain on wrote: »
    Can you still get that? I had it before but I couldn't find it anywhere when it ran out, they said it was a limited edition. It's amazing alright.

OH NO!! Please dont say that!! Im ringing BT now, pleeeeease let them have some, early christmas present if they do..deep despair if they dont!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

Jennypops wrote: »
    OH NO!! Please dont say that!! Im ringing BT now, pleeeeease let them have some, early christmas present if they do..deep despair if they dont!!
    A google sort of answered my own question, it's for sale on the Jo Malone website anyway! One of the women I talked to in BTs had never heard of it :mad: Let us know what they say on the phone please :)

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭CarMe

God I hate admitting this but my absolutely favourite perfume ever on me is Curious :O I've been wearing it for years and at this stage it's just "me".
    I wish I could get into something a bit classier and always try but give up after a while as I miss "my smell"!

• Advertisement

All is SAVED!!

Its been added to the permanent range!! The girl I spoke to said that it was part of the limited edition range (was in those black bottles) but its been made permanent.

I cant wait to get this. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 133 ✭✭glitterbug86

I love Chanel Mademoiselle. Wouldn't have a clue how to describe the scent but wanted to mention it anyways. Maybe if you were to describe the one you keep smelling someone else may be able to throw out some suggestions for what it could be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

Calvin Klein - Truth (I personally find this very strong)
    Chanel - Coco Mademoiselle
    Christian Dior - Pure Poison
    Armani - Code
    Chanel - (The Original) Chance
    Calvin Klein - Contradiction
    Dior - Addict 2
    Hugo Boss - Orange
    Lacoste Touch of Pink

Armani Code, Chanel (The Original Chance), Christian Dior Pure Poison and Dior Addict 2 would be my favourites from the above.

My absolute faveourites are Armani Code and Pure Poison though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 408 ✭✭pencilsharp

My absolute two favourite perfumes that both last all day are:

Chanel Allure (usually wear this at nighttime)

Stella by Stella McCartney (daytime).

Stella is my number one favouite though. It lasts all day, I never get sick of the smell, everyone always comments on how lovely it is! As corny as it sounds, I love it, it always makes me feel good when I wear it!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

I love Angel by Theirry Mugler. It's a very heavy scent, definitely for night time!

After that it's Bvlgari Jasmin Noir. Haven't bought it yet, but am lusting after it. Another dark, heavier smell.

For light scents I have Carolina Herrera 212 VIP Sexy and Marc Jacobs Oh Lola! The MJ one is new and sweeter than I normally wear but it's beautiful.

• Advertisement

Jasmin Noir is gorgeous!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 373 ✭✭ShortskirtCiara

I love Juicy Coutures 'Viva la Juicy' and also Paco Rabonne 'Lady Million', there currently my staple perfumes that I use!

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Sugarbomb

i love Hugo Boss Intense and Burberry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Sibylla

I think anything by Chanel is classic, No.5 is a classic fragrance for sure, I love Allure and Chance too not to everyone's tastes but they work well for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭chickenbutt

I don't know as much about perfume as other people on here, but I do agree with Sibylla, Chanel is classic. I also think Burberry is really nice.

I got some free samples the other day for Prada, the L'eau Ambree and Prada. I have to say these smell so amazing. Especially Prada. (My mom likes the ambree one more). I wish I had enough money to buy it... I just know these samples won't last long with me :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭cat_dog

J'adore by Dior <3

i love any of the DKNY ones and this one http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002EZIEHU

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Lollers

I got Jennifer Anistons perfume in the sales last Christmas. Generally wouldn't be a fan of celeb perfumes, but I adore it, gorgeous a really light clean smell you could wear forever and not get bored of, it was one of the few perfumes that I went back and got a new bigger bottle of.

I'm not mad on Chanel perfumes generally, don't know what it is, but they always smell as if they are stale to me, or that I'll get a headache if I wear them too long. I mean I know they are meant to be classic infallible sents but I just don't really get it. The exception is Allure which is sophisticated and not as cloying as their other sents. By the way Marks and Spencer do an identical version of this but its packaged under the name Sensual.

I went through using Dolce and Gabbna light blue. This is also has a twin in Marks and Spencer under the name Azure

Final one is Prada Iris, this is really lovely everyday perfume. Again you will find a very similar sent in Zara under the name Pearl.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 538 ✭✭✭OkayWhatever

+1 on the J'adore by Dior.

I think it's soooooo lovely! Quite expensive, but sooooooooo worth it!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭booboo88

Ive a few favourites
    coolwater
    amor amor (my absolute fav, even past bfs have commented)
    chanel coco madmoiselle
    paco rabanne ultraviolet
    jadore

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭moonshinerocks

Estee Lauder's Spellbound is a real classy fragrance that has been around for a while - my boyfriend's mother bought it for me as she has been wearing it for years. I might not have thought to choose it for myself but I grew to absolutely love it - people always ask me what I'm wearing. I don't have Estee Lauder's pure white linen but I have heard good things about it - they seem to do less girly and more womanly scents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭moonshinerocks

Oh, and J'adore Dior is on my wishlist - never got around to buying it but every time i smell it I am reminded that I have to have it :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 687 ✭✭✭headmaster

My other half always uses "Safari", trouble is, i'm finding it difficult to buy of late. Anyone know where I can get it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭jkwxez12yrdgbq

Jean Paul Gaultier 'Classique' is my absolute favourite. It is quite heavy though, so would only really wear it on an evening out.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭CarMe

I just got Versace Bright Crystal today, have had it on all day and absolutely love it. It's clean and fresh with slight sweet citrus undertones. Love :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 536 ✭✭✭nosietoes

headmaster wrote: »
    My other half always uses "Safari", trouble is, i'm finding it difficult to buy of late. Anyone know where I can get it?

I haven't been able to find it for about 5 years in Ireland. My mum used to wear it. I found it a few years ago in a mall in middle America but that was the last time I saw it. It is gorgeous.

headmaster wrote: »

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ralph-Lauren-Safari-Women-Spray/dp/B000R8XB06/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1319797622&sr=8-1

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 687 ✭✭✭headmaster

bluewolf wrote: »

You sweet little beauty, I owe you one!!!!! I've just ordered it and I know my wife will be delighted. Thank you again. Happy Christmas.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭dellas1979

Hypnotic Poison by Christian Dior. Luxury in a bottle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭cailineile

wow , Safari, I was told they weren't making it anymore

So perfume wise, Chanel, No5, sometimes wear coco mademoiselle,

All of the chanels are classics,
    My sis wears lancome poeme, its nice on her,

Michael Kors by Michael Kors is quite distinct also.

Forever and Ever by Dior is gorgeous too,

I always go back to the Chanel but do remember your perfume is quiet personal, get samples go to shops, spray it on a tissue put it in your coat pocket and see if you like it after a few hours/days.

And don't worry, I got a sample of the new chanel chance eau tendre and 2 women stopped me and asked me what it was... its nice....

hope this has helped

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭dellas1979

I was just out shopping there and tried the new Tresor (Lancome). It is fabulous!
    Smells so fresh - like blackberries. Was surprise - something different to the market.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭chunkykate

Lancome Miracle and Lancome Dream of Pink are nice daytime perfumes.

Chloé by Chloe is a classy nighttime perfume, very distinctive. Very strong though. I haven't bought it yet because not sure if it would be too overpowering.

I know someone who wears a perfume that just smells of lilies. Not a flowery granny one, just a lovely smell of lilies. Does anyone know what that would be?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭Boxoffrogs

My favourites:

J'adore - Dior (boys seem to love)
    Alien - Thierry Mugler
    Miracle - Lancome
    Armani Diamonds
    Euphoria - CK
    Daisy - Marc Jacobs
    Miss Dior Cherie - Dior

My newest is Tresor Midnight Rose by Lancome, bought this a few weeks ago and have gotten so many compliments, mainly from other women. Only a hint of the original Tresor about it. A very sensual fragrance, love it, love it, love it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

My favourite is Play by Givenchy. Cool bottle too!

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Cherryfizz

Jo Malone's Dark Amber & Gingerlilly is a really nice perfume. Bought it two weeks ago and is now firmly one of my all time favourites!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Oleander

I like a mixture of perfumes, I don't tend to stick to one theme. Here are some of my favourites over the years:

Daisy x Marc Jacobs is gorgeous, sweet but not sickly sweet.
    Light Blue x Dolce & Gobanna is citrusy, very nice.
    Chanel perfumes tend to be very fresh and soapy, coco mademoiselle is lovely. And No. 19 is lovely too.
    Lime, Basil & Mandarin x Jo Malone is really citrusy and fresh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭Linguo

+1 for Daisy, I love the pink one, it's on my list for Christmas, spray it on every time I'm in town!

Stella by Stella McCartney is another gorgeous one!

My absolute fav perfume is Armani Code, sexy and classic, really love it and always have to have it!

For day wear I love the DKNY apples, the green and purple are my favs!

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭skmck

OP Ive been in the same position as you until recently. Ive switched numerous times between perfumes & have a press full of half used perfumes!

Recently I bought Armani Code & Im totally in love with it! I used to always think that nobody could smell the perfume i was wearing but since Ive started wearing this one, you would not believe the amount of compliments Ive got from it & the amount of people asking what perfume im wearing!

Armani Code is definately the nicest perfume Ive come across in a long time & Ill be sticking with it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 272 ✭✭Loopie

Daytime I love - Romance by Ralph Lauren, Chloe by, eh, Chloe, Miracle from Lancome, Jo Malone White Jasmine and Mint, and Miss Dior Cherie

For nightime, I adore Armani Code and Chanel Coco Madamoselle!

Narcisso Rodriguez is lovely, very distinctive but I personally find it can be a little overwhelming, same as Angel.

My fave of all time is/was Nina Ricci, Le Premier Jour but I cannot find it anywhere anymore (been a few years since I've had it!), always check airports when I travel through and it's only her other perfumes I see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 538 ✭✭✭OkayWhatever

Loopie wrote: »

My fave of all time is/was Nina Ricci, Le Premier Jour but I cannot find it anywhere anymore (been a few years since I've had it!), always check airports when I travel through and it's only her other perfumes I see.

My mam likes it too :) She couldn't find it either so bought it on Ebay.

Don't know if you'd be interested, but here's the link anyway :)

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Nina-Ricci-Premier-Jour-Women-EDP-Spray-100ml-/260879264954?pt=UK_Health_Beauty_Fragrances_Women_s_Fragrances_PP&hash=item3cbd9dacba#ht_765wt_1037

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭lubie76

Jo Malone- lime, basil, mandarin for daytime. Bit expensive but lasts ages.
    I like Estee Lauder pleasures or Armani mania for nights out.
    I hate all them Britney, J Lo, kylie etc perfumes. They stink of cheap!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭Aoife9

My two all time faves are Chanel coco Mademoiselle and Flowerbomb by Viktor and Rolf nearly out of both of them good thing Christmas is just around the corner! ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 75 ✭✭Toothpaste89

I wear Miss Dior Cherie. Beautiful perfume, smells great and looks good too ;)

Buy this if you want too smell fantastic

http://www.amazon.com/Dior-Cherie-Christian-Women-Parfum/dp/B000JLCR10

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭shakencat

paco robanne - ultra violet <3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 306 ✭✭audi a4 2008

bought my best freind jimmy choo last week,she just loves it:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 773 ✭✭✭echosound

Estee Lauder's Spellbound is a real classy fragrance that has been around for a while - my boyfriend's mother bought it for me as she has been wearing it for years. I might not have thought to choose it for myself but I grew to absolutely love it - people always ask me what I'm wearing. I don't have Estee Lauder's pure white linen but I have heard good things about it - they seem to do less girly and more womanly scents.

Bit late asking this but where are you buying spellbound? I've been wearing it for 10 years+, love it, have had strangers stop me and ask me what it is, and it's become my signature scent as most people can now recognise me by smell, ha! (although some people I know have gone off and bought a bottle themselves, grr! It's MY smell :p).

But this past year I cannot find a single place that is selling it anymore :( and I'm running out fast.

Have been afraid to go order it online from one of those fragrance sites in case it's a cheap copy. Prefer to buy it in a bricks and mortar shop/chemist.

And another question (to anyone in general), any other perfume recommendations that would be along the lines of Spellbound? Or any recs for a musky/vanilla/woody/sweet fragrance? I prefer heavier richer scents to the lighter type fresh or fruity scents.

Sorry OP for hopping on your bandwagon! To answer your Q, I'm also 32, and my "classic" scents would be Estee lauder Spellbound, Lancome Poeme, I also like Jean Paul Gaultier for women, and Prada.
    For daytime - Chanel mademoiselle, Burberry weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭FueledByAisling

I wear Giorgio Beverly Hills and I constantly get stopped/complimented by both men and women asking what perfume I'm wearing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 243 ✭✭trixie_belle12

Really love Vera Wang, the original scent.

Also wear Chloe alot the last few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Sooopie

My all time favourite is Vicktor & Rolf... Flowerbomb - AMAZING

Recently bought Pradas "Candy" and its fun

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭Missmiddleton

My favourite perfume is Parisienne by Yves Saint Laurent. After that I'd be Daisy by Marc Jacobs but its too mainstream now, I swear I liked it before it was popular

• Advertisement
Advertisement