Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

decent winter running jacket

• 24-10-2011 3:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭

anyone here recommend a good showerproof jacket, doesn't have to be waterproof as i still want to do some tempo training without over heating.
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 978 ✭✭✭JohnnyCrash

I picked up the winter jacket in Aldi recently.Find it snug on cold nights,and have worn it on a couple of muggy nights without overheating much

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,084 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Picked up a Craft jacket in TKMax, bright red, but apart from that does the trick - think is was about 26 yoyos

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Buck

I picked up the winter jacket in Aldi recently.Find it snug on cold nights,and have worn it on a couple of muggy nights without overheating much

+1 on this.

Very comfortable and surprisingly light.

Lidl running jacket does the job - has breathable areas and zips on arms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭jfh

i have an old lidl jacket and it's fine but it's not very streamlined, was out last sunday and it was fairly windy so decided a new one was in order.
    think the new one's may be better.
    i knew about the aldi/lidl sale but working that morning, by the time i got there the place was scavenged.
    i do like the sound of that craft jacket in tkmaxx, never heard of them before but after a quick google, you got it at a steal!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

Recently I was looking for a lightweight rainproof, and got the following recommendations, for between €100- €200. Worth thinking of in case you're looking for something that is waterproof (may be too much for your requirements, but no harm adding to this thread).

OMM Cypher €180

OMM kamleika-race-smock €120

OZO Pullover €200

My budget just about stretched to the Kamleika. Having worn an Aldi top for years, and been generally happy with it, I'd have to say that the new top is well worth the extra money, it is just a different running experience, keeps you bone dry in comfort, and you don't even notice you're wearing anything extra. Go with a smock instead of a full zip jacket, if you can- any time you have a full unzipped, you don't need to be wearing it.

Slightly OT - but I picked up 2 waterproof ponchos in the € shop for €2 each - handy to throw in the gear bag and to be used when you are standing on the start line in pi$$ing rain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

If someone wants my old adidas DCM jacket from last year, let me know.

Let's say first reply gets it.

I'm 6'4 13 st 5. Would suit a bigger lad. Any of the pacers from last year will know how oversized they are. It's XL, fits XXL or larger.

Oh yeah, free :) I'm in Dublin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,531 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Slightly OT - but I picked up 2 waterproof ponchos in the € shop for €2 each - handy to throw in the gear bag and to be used when you are standing on the start line in pi$$ing rain.
    Cool. Whereabouts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Recently I was looking for a lightweight rainproof........
    OMM Cypher €180

Same as myself, but my budget wouldn't stretch that far.

A couple of issues back Trail Running Magazine tested 16 waterproof jackets, the Cypher got a 5/5 rating with the verdict being "A brilliant, light smock for mountain runs".

Others to get 5 stars were the Rab Kinetic, "An excellent waterproof at a good price that will also perform well for other fast, light outdoor activities." and the Haglof Ozo Pullover that you also linked to, "Excellent and super light, for trail and mountain runs".

The overall winner was the Montane Minimus
    http://www.montane.co.uk/products/men/shell/minimus-jacket/412
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=60763

The reason they gave for this coming in just ahead over the other 3 was "it's a great investment for adventurous, regular trail runners. For £120 you get a light, very well made jacket suitable for everything from your local park to forays into mountains."

Out of the 16 best for value for the Berghaus Elite half zip coming in sub £100 in comparison to the rest.

The Kamleika wasn't in the test but the OMM brand apparently is second to none in this area.

• Advertisement

Cool. Whereabouts?

In Wickla - I'll pick up a few more at the weekend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

I picked up one of these a few weeks ago on clearance in Great Outdoors, Galway for €20.
    Montane Featherlight Velo
    Super light, yes its a bike jacket, but I've no problem with that, and it well survives a light shower with little over-heating.
    Its not fully waterproof, and dries out quickly if its a heavy shower.

If you want a more waterproof version, its going to heat more.

Start Fitness have More Miles jackets on half price £14.99: http://www.startfitness.co.uk/search.asp?strKeywords=mmm190

could have done with that at a few recent races

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭neilc

I picked up an Azzurri wind shielder in Sports World for €9.99 a couple of weeks ago. Find it great, very light and keeps out the rain. Only thing is probably sweat a bit more though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭opus

Start Fitness have More Miles jackets on half price £14.99: http://www.startfitness.co.uk/search.asp?strKeywords=mmm190

And I just posted a 10% discount code in the Deals & Vouchers thread :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,820 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Are they shower proof?doesn't say so maybe i am to assume not..........????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

The prize for completing the imra leinster league this year was a very nice inov8 rainjacket that folds into a small pocket that can be belted around the waist. Has a hood too. I don't have the name of the make/model, but if memory serves it retails in the 40 quid mark. Its a great little jacket.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭earlyevening

The prize for completing the imra leinster league this year was a very nice inov8 rainjacket that folds into a small pocket that can be belted around the waist. Has a hood too. I don't have the name of the make/model, but if memory serves it retails in the 40 quid mark. Its a great little jacket.

That jacket is an inov-8 mistlite 210 shell. Its a great little jacket. It could be very important tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,820 ✭✭✭✭dahat

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭thirstywork2

A jacket that is lightweight and breathable.Handy alos if the arms zip off then you can use as a gillet in the spring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Anyone know where I'd get a large XXL running jacket in Dublin, needs to be foldable etc..

Recently I was looking for a lightweight rainproof, and got the following recommendations, for between €100- €200. Worth thinking of in case you're looking for something that is waterproof (may be too much for your requirements, but no harm adding to this thread).

OMM Cypher €180

OMM kamleika-race-smock €120

OZO Pullover €200

My budget just about stretched to the Kamleika. Having worn an Aldi top for years, and been generally happy with it, I'd have to say that the new top is well worth the extra money, it is just a different running experience, keeps you bone dry in comfort, and you don't even notice you're wearing anything extra. Go with a smock instead of a full zip jacket, if you can- any time you have a full unzipped, you don't need to be wearing it.

i'm tethering on the edge over going for the kamleika, one question does the hood come off? look that the business alright. trying to justify it to myself.
    :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

jfh wrote: »
    i'm tethering on the edge over going for the kamleika, one question does the hood come off? look that the business alright. trying to justify it to myself.

No, the hood is attached. The design is great though, you can fold it away with a velcro tab, so it becomes a collar. There's also an integrated peak which serves to shield the rain from your eyes- again, this can be folded away if you just want a close-fitting hood.

Other things of note- the material is stretchy, waterproof, and breathable. Both zips are waterproof. One pocket. Very handy thumb holes for when you want to cover your hands. The low arse flap keeps your buttocks pristine and mud-free, even in the boggiest conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭jeffontour

I have a Hagloffs half zip job for over 2 years now. It was not cheap but it's fairly bullet proof. The night of the recent flooding I wore it cycling home and it resisted the rain well that night, there was some leaking around the zip though. Zips are a weak point, as already said if you want something to keep you dry, go for a half zip to minimise the risk.

Have heard nothing but good things about OMM and will likely go for one of those when the time comes to replace the Hagloffs but I don't see that need arising anytime soon.

In reality unless you plan to be out on the hills for hours on end you don't need to spend a fortune on a jacket, just get something that will keep the showers out and block the wind.

No, the hood is attached. The design is great though, you can fold it away with a velcro tab, so it becomes a collar. There's also an integrated peak which serves to shield the rain from your eyes- again, this can be folded away if you just want a close-fitting hood.

Other things of note- the material is stretchy, waterproof, and breathable. Both zips are waterproof. One pocket. Very handy thumb holes for when you want to cover your hands. The low arse flap keeps your buttocks pristine and mud-free, even in the boggiest conditions.
    thats enough for me, i'm sold.
    early christmas pressie for me. now let hope we get a bit of rain!
    presume u got it on wiggle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

thats enough for me, i'm sold.
    early christmas pressie for me. now let hope we get a bit of rain!
    presume u got it on wiggle

Amazon sell them for £102/€124 including delivery. Not alot of them left though xl, l, m by the looks

thanks woddle, but i couldn't hold off any longer, that jacket is winging it's way over to me as i type, from wiggle. they've 10% off at the mo

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

I have the ozo pullover mentioned above and it's pretty decent, but I find I seldom need it. I've used it mostly for bringing when out for the day during the summer and it might rain, matches etc. great for that. Very waterproof and the outside hood adjustment looks a bit funny but works.

I've only worn it a couple of times for running and only because it was lashing out and was going to be out for a good while/high up.

Otherwise I much prefer a long sleeve baselayer and a gillet to keep rain off torso.

• Advertisement
Advertisement