Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Melbourne, Sydney or Brisbane?!

Options
  • 24-10-2011 3:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭

Hey guys,

Considering making a move to Australia in the new year and the above, Melboure, Sydney or Brisbane are the areas we are looking at..
    Anybody with knowledge of the above be able to help us in making our decision?
    We've basically chosen east Aus because my boyfriend is an avid motocross racer and these are the hot spots for that judging by the research we have done..
    If anyone could help in relation to lifestyle, cost of living etc in these areas it would be very much appreicated!
    (I am aware that Sydney is quiet expensive to live :/)!
    Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭eightyfish

I've never been to Brisbane. I lived in Melbourne for 7 weeks or so after working in SA and road-tripping through WA and VIC. I really liked Melbourne. It's got a bit of style and plenty of good restaurants and bars centrally located. The city centre is like Dublin in that it's very walkable, everything is close and it's buzzing at the weekend. A few of the suburbs are also worth a visit. I'd have stayed in Melbourne if I had found more work.

Most people you meet in Australia who don't live in Sydney will say they don't like Sydney. I was apprehensive when I moved there from Melbourne but Sydney turned out to be even better. They key to Sydney is that the heart of the city does not lie in the city centre - which is all suits and skyscrapers - but in the busy suburbs. If you live somewhere like Newtown, Glebe or Surry Hills you'll have all the bars and restaurants you need on your doorstep at much cheaper prices than in the city centre, and accommodation on quiet streets off the main strips. I found opportunities for work much, much better in Sydney and the transport system (trains) more reliable than Melbourne. Also the weather is slightly better and Sydney Harbour is one of the most beautiful harbours in the world so it would definitely impress friends/visitors.

That's my experience anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Here is a great guide on Melbourne suburbs http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=72661522

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭con___manx1

you should move to melbourne. brisbane is boring in my opinion.its very buisness orientated.there is more culture in melbourne. lots too see and do.there is alot of work aswell. me and my girlfriend had jobs in 3 days of looking here.best of luck anyway where ever you choose..

• Registered Users Posts: 39,347 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

It depends.

It will be impossible for anyone to give you an unbiased answer

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭lippy11

Great guys, thanks for replying!
    We applied for our visa's last week and got granted within a few hours. Booking our flights the end of this month so we will have to decide on our destination between now and then. Melbourne is sounding good. As much as I'd like to go to Sydney the expense of living (from what I've read) is putting me off!
    As you have said Mellor it's difficult to get an unbiased answer, I've spoke to someone who lives in Brisbane and they love it. It all depends on personal opinion!
    We can only find out for ourselves when we get over there! Here's hoping we pick the right location for us :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

I lived in both Mlebourne and Sydney for 3+ months each. I visited Birsbane for a few days so I can't really give an opinion on that other than it seemed incredibly quiet.

For me, if I was to live anywhere in Australia, it would be Melbourne. The cost of living isn't as high as Sydney, there's lots to see and do, it's very relaxed. I found during my time in Sydney that it was all about what you did for a living and how much money you made. I didn't enjoy it at all.

Best of luck with the move!

Chinafoot wrote: »
    I lived in both Mlebourne and Sydney for 3+ months each. !

Thanks Chinafoot! You might be able to shed some light on the weather in Melbourne so. Is it as mixed as I have heard? 4 seasons on one day type thing? We're hoping to arrive in February, what is the weather like that time of the year?
    Also, where would you recommend living in Melbourne from your own experience?
    The guide Hussey previously posted on Melbourne suburbs is of great help also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

lippy11 wrote: »
    Thanks Chinafoot! You might be able to shed some light on the weather in Melbourne so. Is it as mixed as I have heard? 4 seasons on one day type thing? We're hoping to arrive in February, what is the weather like that time of the year?

The weather in Melbourne can frustrate you at times. They say, "if the weather is bad, wait half an hour". It changes so much.

But I picked a city because of the city, not because of the weather. I'd rather a great city with a somewhat unpredictable climate over a souless city like Perth or Darwin, which may have better weather.

A lot of Irish people chase the sun and go further north. Suits me fine. More jobs for us :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭eightyfish

Mellor wrote: »
    It will be impossible for anyone to give you an unbiased answer

This is it. It depends on the people you meet, the suburb you land in initially, the process of finding a job, the people you work with... after that comes the weather and the city. Everyone has a different experience.

Just ask people what they think of Darwin, for example, you'll get completely polarised views.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

lippy11 wrote: »

As above, the weather is very changeable. During February it can go from 20 degrees and cloudy one day to 35+ degrees and sunny the next. It's not unpleasant though. The weather never bothered me but I'm not a sun worshipper so I enjoyed the cooler days.

As for where to live...well I was in the city centre for most of it as I was slumming it in a hostel. I lived in Moonee Ponds for a while which is really, really close to the centre but it was pretty lifeless when I was there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Moonee ponds is awesome shame on you?

Thanks guys, you have all been very helpful :)

Advertisement