Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Submission Wrestling Tournament 10 and 11th of December

• 24-10-2011 3:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭

After the Huge success of our last Sub Wrestling Tournament Spartan Martial Arts will be holding Competition on the 10 and 11th of December

The venue for the event will be Spartan Training Centre,Glen Abbey Industrial Estate,Belgard Road,Tallaght, Dublin 24.

Here is a google maps link of the venue

http://maps.google.com/maps/place?ge...8997c1c2&hl=en

The Weight Categories for this event will be the following for the Beginner ( under 1 year of Training) and Intermediate level (under 3 years of training).

Under 65kg,70kg,75kg,80kg,85kg,90kg,95kg,Open

Advanced Level (3 or over years of training) will be an Absolute of under 80kg and over 80kg.

Adults Tournament is on Saturday the 10th while on Sunday the 11th will be the Teens event.

Entry Fees are 20 euro (Adults) and 15 euro (Teens) and it is Pay on the Day

It will be a League Format so you will fight every one in your division... so plenty of matches

If anyone would like the register for this event please send the following Criteria to the following email

subwrestlingimpact@gmail.com

Name
    Weight
    Experience/Level

If anyone has any questions about the tournament you can PM me

Thanks

Daniel

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 525 ✭✭✭da-bres

awesome!! Il be there for sure! would it not be better to have advanced 3 years up?? intermediate is usually under 3 years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

It will be a League Format so you will fight every one in your division... so plenty of matches

Awesome. I'll be there

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Ohhhhhhh this is interesting!!

EDIT: someone's gonna ask it, so I may as well - what are the leg lock rules?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Barry.Oglesby

Great stuff guys. Can I suggest dropping the price marginally though? €25 is a lot when there's no premises or mat rental costs. I would think this would encourage a lot more guys to enter hopefully.

I'll be encouraging my guys to enter either way. Very best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭DavidPhelan

Great stuff guys. Can I suggest dropping the price marginally though? €25 is a lot when there's no premises or mat rental costs. I would think this would encourage a lot more guys to enter hopefully.

Price is definitely too high. Economics would suggest that a lower price would result in significantly increased demand. If you charged €15, you would get double the competitors, resulting in a better tournament and 20% more income.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Price is definitely too high. Economics would suggest that a lower price would result in significantly increased demand. If you charged €15, you would get double the competitors, resulting in a better tournament and 20% more income.

Where'd you pull those figures from!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭Tallaght Martial Arts Academy

I'll be encouraging my guys to enter either way. Very best of luck with it.

I understand what you are saying Barry but unfortunately we do have mat rental and transport and medics to pay.. as we do not have enough mats to have 2 competition areas and a warm up area so we do bring in mates for that.

So we are trying to see if we can find another solution and hopefully make the entrance fee a bit cheaper but for the moment it does not seem so

Thanks

Daniel

Thanks for the effort Dan. I'm sure the tournament will be a success. I'm just interested in keeping competition costs down for my guys as €25 is a lot to be asking of guys who might not be working right now. Like you I had costs for refs, mat rental (4 areas including the warm up), tech staff, the hall, medals, insurance, plus sundries like safety tape and refs wristbands, and so on and so on. I understand fully the expenses involved in running a tournament.

Anything you could do to reduce the price would be brilliant. You guys will still do well and get some funding for your club with a lower price plus I think more of my guys will go. Based on feedback so far there's at least 3 of my lads who would compete who won't go if it's €25. Just letting you know.

Thanks for the effort Dan. I'm sure the tournament will be a success. I'm just interested in keeping competition costs down for my guys as €25 is a lot to be asking of guys who might not be working right now. Like you I had costs for refs, mat rental (4 areas including the warm up), tech staff, the hall, medals, insurance, plus sundries like safety tape and refs wristbands, and so on and so on. I understand fully the expenses involved in running a tournament.

Anything you could do to reduce the price would be brilliant. You guys will still do well and get some funding for your club with a lower price plus I think more of my guys will go. Based on feedback so far there's at least 3 of my lads who would compete who won't go if it's €25. Just letting you know.

After much thought and Consideration we have decided to lower the price to 20 euro.. we want to try and encourage as many people to enter as possible and think that lowering the price will help promote that and still help us cover our expenses as well...

Any other feed back would be greatly appreciated...

• Advertisement

After much thought and Consideration we have decided to lower the price to 20 euro.. we want to try and encourage as many people to enter as possible and think that lowering the price will help promote that and still help us cover our expenses as well...

That's brilliant Dan, thank you very much. I will be encouraging as many of my guys to enter this and I have a few teenagers who are mad to get cracking too.

Thanks very much for your consideration,

Barry

That's brilliant Dan, thank you very much. I will be encouraging as many of my guys to enter this and I have a few teenagers who are mad to get cracking too.

Thanks very much for your consideration,

Barry

We just want to run the best Comps that we can and the more people who enter the better :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 525 ✭✭✭da-bres

Awesome!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 254 ✭✭r_obric

Thanks for t..... compete who won't go if it's €25. Just letting you know.

Try and do prepayment. Speeds up the day of the comp and increases your numbers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Niall0

Might as well get this question out of the way too ;)
    Is the Weigh in before the division starts or in the morning?

Niall0 wrote: »
    Might as well get this question out of the way too ;)
    Is the Weigh in before the division starts or in the morning?

Weigh ins are in the morning... you will have a set time to weigh in before the competition starts

• Registered Users Posts: 24 arte suave

Fight Sports will have a team up from Ennis for this. i think prepay would be a good idea too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 cill dara mma

This sounds like a good one, we'll give it a go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41 shanesmith

Tuatha De Danann will be there!

• Registered Users Posts: 34 orol221

Weigh ins are in the morning... you will have a set time to weigh in before the competition starts

Hi there, what time is it starting ... 10am... 11am ?

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭wingnut4

I can never understand the big gap of under one year to 1-3 years, its the same in most competitions i know, but its crazy if someone of 14months is fighting someone of 3 years but sure not much people can do with that.

Good luck with the competition!

wingnut4 wrote: »
    I can never understand the big gap of under one year to 1-3 years, its the same in most competitions i know, but its crazy if someone of 14months is fighting someone of 3 years but sure not much people can do with that.

Good luck with the competition!

Anyone with 3 year or more experience is Advanced. Its just Hard to find a suitable gap between Beginner and Intermediate.

It would be the same scenario if did it like the previous tournament and left Advanced to over 2 year and Inter to under 2. Anyone who just trained a bit over 2 year would get crushed by the other advanced lads as most of the advanced section last time have trained well more than 3 years

Thanks for the well wishes...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 537 ✭✭✭EnjoyChoke

wingnut4 wrote: »
    ... but its crazy if someone of 14months is fighting someone of 3 years

Nothing wrong with this at all. Surely the bigger the challenge the better, surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭wingnut4

Suppose your right! a challenge it is! lol

Hanley wrote: »
    Where'd you pull those figures from!?

Haha, it was theoretical, not to be confused with fact. I was just pointing out that more competitors and, hence, more money could be earned by a slight reduction in price. They have reduced the price, so I think the number of entrants will increase a lot, even with the small decrease in price.

I don't blame you for thinking I was trying to preach that as fact, wouldn't surprise me to see that sort of talk on these forums!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

Haha, it was theoretical, not to be confused with fact. I was just pointing out that more competitors and, hence, more money could be earned by a slight reduction in price. They have reduced the price, so I think the number of entrants will increase a lot, even with the small decrease in price.

I don't blame you for thinking I was trying to preach that as fact, wouldn't surprise me to see that sort of talk on these forums!:D

To suggest price is the driving factor behind demand is flawed. I would suggest that the differential between €25 and €20 is larger than the differential between €20 and €15 for a submission wrestling competition to be held in Dublin on 10/12/2011.

BellCurve.png

Anyway, €20 is a good price. I'll be competiing, my first time in the advanced :eek:

Killme00 wrote: »
    To suggest price is the driving factor behind demand is flawed. I would suggest that the differential between €25 and €20 is larger than the differential between €20 and €15 for a submission wrestling competition to be held in Dublin on 10/12/2011.

BellCurve.png

Anyway, €20 is a good price. I'll be competiing, my first time in the advanced :eek:

To suggest price is not a driving factor behind demand is plain wrong, obviously no degree in economics. However, I would absolutely agree that the differential would be bigger. The fact that you believe there would be a difference between the entrants based on prices completely contradicts your statement! Woops!

Professor Frink needs to get in on this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Donelson

Can people with a MMA background enter this or is it only open to graded BJJ's?

• Advertisement

Donelson wrote: »
    Can people with a MMA background enter this or is it only open to graded BJJ's?

Anyone is free to enter it does not matter about background

Sounds good, what are the comp rules, is it point scoring or submission only? do we need our own insurance or how does that bit work?

p.s. can you tell I've never entered a comp before :pac: but I'm looking forward to it already.

Sounds good, what are the comp rules, is it point scoring or submission only? do we need our own insurance or how does that bit work?

p.s. can you tell I've never entered a comp before :pac: but I'm looking forward to it already.

Sub only... your club insurance should be fine... we have our own anyway but ur club should have insurance to cover u to compete

Weigh ins will be from 10 till 11 am for this competition

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 829 ✭✭✭nino1

will be coming up from cork for this.
    if there are no submissions is it a draw or how does it work?

nino1 wrote: »
    will be coming up from cork for this.
    if there are no submissions is it a draw or how does it work?

The way it work is you get 3 points for a win and 1 for a draw... u face everyone in your division and whoever has the most points wins... in the case of a draw on points we check to see who won in the fight between competitors and if that bout was a draw they fight again. If they draw that fight then its first to a takedown.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 Griffin wmma

HI guys, just a quick question. I will be entering probably the under 90 beginner category and was wondering how a winner is decided. Obviously a sub wil decide for definate but if theres no sub will it be decided on points or a judges decision?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Griffin wmma

Never mind...i just spotted that you've previously answered a similar question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 254 ✭✭r_obric

The way it work is you get 3 points for a win and 1 for a draw... u face everyone in your division and whoever has the most points wins... in the case of a draw on points we check to see who won in the fight between competitors and if that bout was a draw they fight again. If they draw that fight then its first to a takedown.

Isnt using one of the points systems much fairer? it stops someone dominating fights and losing...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 294 ✭✭Kieran81

r_obric wrote: »
    Isnt using one of the points systems much fairer? it stops someone dominating fights and losing...

if u dominate with points how do you lose without being subbed , so whats the difference . could have some lopsided draws alright , but overall i think it makes guys work harder for the finish as opposed to runnin out the clock if they ahead on points

Kieran81 wrote: »
    if u dominate with points how do you lose without being subbed , so whats the difference . could have some lopsided draws alright , but overall i think it makes guys work harder for the finish as opposed to runnin out the clock if they ahead on points

One of the reasons we choose not to do points as it forces people to look for the finish as opposed to just racking up points

The other reason is with no points be scored we will not receive negative feedback on our event for not giving points to people where points should have been scored and you wont have corner men screaming at the referee to give points and possibly distract him.

• Advertisement

What submissions are avaliable for novices?
    Arm/knees bars, triangles and chokes, all ok?
    bicep & calf splitters?
    ankle/wrist locks and neck cranks?
    arm/shoulder cranks
    anything else i've missed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41 shanesmith

Rather than giving 1 point for a draw, u could do first takedown gets the win?

bicep & calf splitters?
    arm/shoulder cranks

All level there are no neck cranks and no heel hooks

Beginner level no leg locks or slicers...

You have your straight arm locks your bent ones and chokes

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Gorey_R

shanesmith wrote: »

My problem with that is you get scumbags like Richard Gorey who will intentionally stall and refuse to engage for 5 minutes because they know that when it comes to the over-time period and their opponent is forced to stand and trade takedown attempts that they will have a significant advantage.

shanesmith wrote: »

its league format so takedowns will be used if there is a draw on points....

just make the day go quicker as you don't have to wait for a take down when people are gassed which could take up to a minute extra or more... and there will be a few draws... so it means we can run a quick tournament

Gorey_R wrote: »
    My problem with that is you get scumbags like Richard Gorey who will intentionally stall and refuse to engage for 5 minutes because they know that when it comes to the over-time period and their opponent is forced to stand and trade takedown attempts that they will have a significant advantage.

The fact you refer to yourself in the third person makes this statement even more awesome :-p

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭dasmoose

Scumbag Richie:

377505_10150355505042047_534552046_8635033_529657576_n.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 381 ✭✭manga_10

is that a turd or a choc cake :p

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭dasmoose

it's obviously a scumbag steve hat, someone needs to keep up to date with their memes.

qm.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Rob01

bicep & calf splitters?
    arm/shoulder cranks

List of all submission allowed per belt :)
    (taken from the grapplepalooza thread)

• Advertisement
Advertisement