Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Where to get a fedora

• 24-10-2011 3:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭

Does anyone know any shops that sell fedoras (not trilbies) and how much one would cost?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭ANSI

REPSOC1916 wrote: »
    Does anyone know any shops that sell fedoras (not trilbies) and how much one would cost?

Thanks
    have you tried the hat shop in stephens green? online you could try hatsandcaps.co.uk
    or see this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 228 ✭✭Panda Moanium

The hat shop in Stephen's Green Shopping Centre only does wool fedoras to my knowledge - cost around €60ish.

Fur felt is the way to go in my opinion - much nicer material and less inclined to shrink or taper. My first fedora was wool but I haven't worn it once since I discovered fur felt.

The only place I've found that sells fur felt fedoras in Ireland is Kennedy McSharry in Nassau Street. They have quite a reasonable selection of hats carrying the branding Kennedy & McSharry by Linney, but Linney is I believe a name used by a UK importer called Try and Lilly and in fact these hats are actually made by Czech Republic hat maker Tonak. I got one about a year and a half ago for €85.00. Quite a nice hat but more European than American fedora looking in my opinion.

Personally I'd recommend buying online. Akubra in Australia make some great hats at reasonable prices. They're mainly outback or western styles but they also make some nice fedora styles. I have two Stylemaster models that I'm very happy with. But you'll need to know your head size before ordering anything!

Check out Everything Australian - http://www.everythingaustralian.com.au or Hats Direct - http://www.hatsdirect.com/. I've had great service from both.

The hat shop in Stephen's Green Shopping Centre only does wool fedoras to my knowledge - .
    i think that is wrong

OK maybe. Last time I looked was a year ago and that's all they had then.

OK maybe. Last time I looked was a year ago and that's all they had then.
    Actually you are correct my apologies. They do not have fur felt hats only wool felt as you said

• Advertisement

I have two Stylemaster models that I'm very happy with. But you'll need to know your head size before ordering anything!

Nice hat. Only in two colours though. What is the fit like , not crushable is it?

ANSI wrote: »
    Nice hat. Only in two colours though. What is the fit like , not crushable is it?

Thanks, I do like this hat. Style wise it has quite straight sides which gives it a thirties kind of look rather than say from the sixties where hats tended to be more tapered. Compared to some of the outback Akubras I have the felt is quite soft. Not crushable, but both hats have had a reasonable amount of abuse and have come back into shape every time.

I have it in Moonstone grey and Acorn but Akubra do also make it in Black, Bluegrass Green, Carbon (Mid) Grey and Mid Brown, although some of those are only available on special order. Tempted now to maybe place an order for the Mid Brown as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 445 ✭✭ladhrann

You're better off going for fur felt (100% beaver), Art Fawcett is very well regarded and will send you a conformer to measure your head size. Don't be surprised to spend c. $385 on a custom made hat. The felt blanks themselves cost $150-ish so these guys are working for about $20 per hour.

For mid-range stuff try Locks or Christys of London online.

An Irish maker that may be going into fur felt is John Shevlin of www.shevlin.ie, currently he has wool felts and felt mixes and will do made to measure for the same price as his reguar sizes. He is the only wet-blocked hat maker in ireland to my knowledge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭REPSOC1916

Thanks everyone for the advice.

Advertisement