Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New PC - Info included

Options
  • 24-10-2011 3:39pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭

1. What is your budget? €500 but could be pushed for the right machine.

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? Poker. Playing upwards of 18-20 tables.

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? Yes

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? Sure

5. Do you need a monitor? No but it does have to have the ability to allow 2 monitors in use.

5a. If yes, what size do you need. N/A

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future?
    I have one monitor but plan to be operating with 2. As for resolution, I'm not sure on this.

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? Keyboard, Wireless mouse and Speakers.

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? Have no idea what this is:o

8. How can you pay? Cash, Credit Card or Laser Card.

9. When are you purchasing? ASAP

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? North Dublin

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

If going from what the other thread said is true, then this could be a tight build. The minimum for the tower is probably the following:

Item|Price
    Total build cost: €407.03 + €30 shipping
    Intel Core i3-2100 Box, LGA1155|€100.47
    ASRock H61DE/S3, Sockel 1155, ATX|€63.23
    2 x 8GB-Kit G.Skill PC3-10667U CL9|€34.61
    Crucial M4 64GB SSD 6,4cm (2,5")|€90.50
    Xigmatek Asgard III Midi Tower - black, ohne Netzteil|€32.63
    Antec BasiQ VP350|€35.00
    Samsung SH-222AB bare schwarz SATA|€15.98

On top of that you need your windows license and peripherals which will add to the cost. However if you're a student (or have access to a college email address) you can get windows for €45 which will help a bit.

The other thing I'm unsure about is if the motherboard can do 2 monitors. It has a VGA and DVI connection but I don't know can it use both at the same time, so I'm gonna have a look at that now. If it can't you'll need a cheap ~€25 graphics card as well like a 5450.

It also just has the single SSD, so if you need more space you'll have to add a mechanical hard drive as well.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

As I said, if the right machine requires my budget to be upped, I guess I could stretch to €600.

I've someone who owns their own company so hopefully can get it VAT free.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,330 ✭✭✭NeVeR

16 GB is madness.

4gb will be fine. Kick it to 8 if you need.

SSD is good and will speed up things but I dont think it's needed for poker. get a good 7200 drive.

Get a graphics card that had HDMI so you can use your TV and watch movies if you like.

I can't post spec as i'm in work.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭longshotvalue

8 gig would be fine, i just have 16 in my own.

The ssd makes a big differance to the Holdem Manager Database, and for the price makes sense..

A pc with 20 poker tables open and and Holden Manager Database running with HUD display over each player, is very heavy use and does benefit from a higher spec..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,330 ✭✭✭NeVeR

How do you know he's going to Run Hold'em manager ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭longshotvalue

NeVeR wrote: »
    How do you know he's going to Run Hold'em manager ?

I suppose i dont, but most players running 20 tables would be using Holdem Manager or Poker Tracker, otherwise it would be impossible to keep track..

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

I will be running HEM and Table Ninja.

Advertisement