Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why not Name and Shame?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Madam

Not the young ones but the pubs who do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

Naming will not necessarily be shaming. I'd have thought the pubs in question would find it valuable free advertising.:rolleyes:

Anyway, how can anyone be sure that low prices are such a major factor? It seems to me that those who want to get pissed out of their tree will find the money no matter how high the prices are.:eek:

The problem has to be looked at from other angles, not least how to encourage young people to behave responsibly. The question is, though, how many members of the older generation are in a position to do that?:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

I think the OP wants to discuss why the pubs are not named that has resulted in people being brought to court and ending up is hospital due to the cheap 99c drink offers, although you wouldn't think that because her opening post contained just a link and nothing else!

I'll let it run but no silly comments please ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭overshoot

wait theres pubs with 99c drink?:eek: damn being in college in dublin! id love to know how they are making money though. in dublin, if ur selling drink at 2e a go they said you need to sell 1000pints to break even according to one pub owner anyway.
    in all fairness, no matter the price the pub still has a responsibility where the client is grossly intoxicated not to be serving them. the client (if they want to) will still get locked, the only difference is people are doing it in the pub now rather then the carryout before hand... and hoping they get into wherever before it shows

'Oops' Sorry, I was'nt aware just posting a link was some sort of infringement of the rules:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

Madam wrote: »
    'Oops' Sorry, I was'nt aware just posting a link was some sort of infringement of the rules:(

Your grand, if ya hadn't have read that thread you wern't to know.

Ok, thanks, I live and learn:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

Afaik the Guards can close a pub down if they enter the premises and witness staff serving a drunk customer. Not too sure though. Failing that they can object a license application by an establishment when it come up in front of a judge. And a nightclub has to apply for a license any night they wish to open.

What I can't understand is staff or management serving people who are clearly intoxicated to the point they are a hazard, at the end of the day it is the staff who will be held responsible should any thing happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭paulmclaughlin

What I can't understand is staff or management serving people who are clearly intoxicated to the point they are a hazard, at the end of the day it is the staff who will be held responsible should any thing happen.

Money.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭oranbhoy67

Afaik the Guards can close a pub down if they enter the premises and witness staff serving a drunk customer. Not too sure though. Failing that they can object a license application by an establishment when it come up in front of a judge. And a nightclub has to apply for a license any night they wish to open.

yes true if it happens in THERE establishment but the trouble usually happens outside .. & when do we see pubs & clubs around here being punished for the trouble that people using there establishments cause?? never! they just go home & count the cash.. i remember when i first moved here the amount of times youd see someone at the bar comatose thru drunk only to raise there head & get served again... in the UK they might still serve you when your drunk but if you get in the state that you are going to pass out then the most you will be getting is a taxi!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭mistermouse

The drinking at home or in flats etc before and after pubs and clubs is an epidemic here these days.

I don't think it is all down to venues and their prices. Even some Teenage venues have been known to breathalyse the customers coming in

If Ireland was a responsible nation of drinkers we would applaud cheap bar prices and know how to handle and not abuse them.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,383 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

The drinking at home or in flats etc before and after pubs and clubs is an epidemic here these days.

it will only get wore as the price of drink goes up, i was in iceland ten years ago and asking to some locals who basically said you got drunk to the point of struggling to stand up and then went to the night clubs until dawn, bacuase drink prices were so high (remember having to use my credit card in the pub as i didnt have enough money)

Pubs and clubs have to pay around €500 per night for exemptions, just to stay open and try to compete with below cost price selling from supermarkets. Let me restate that, Tesco etc can sell below cost price legally but a pub or club has to pay €500 to stay open later than 11.30 most nights that's before entertainment and heavily weighted insurance etc.

There is no onus on off sales to pay exemptions or any charges really to the state to subsidise anything, be it Gardai or health services.

Not only do the venues employ people, entertainent etc and have to keep investing, but they also have to pay an additional charge to be open late.

If anything off sales account for a large proportion of the problems but work on more favourable terms, many large supermarkets also use their cheap drink as a way of getting you instore to pay for other very profitable products. The like of Tesco have been criticised for not showing their profits from the Irish Market. Many supermarkets have been accused for squeezing suppliers, farmers etc.

Before anyone criticises a venue for charging just more than the supermarkets, look at the playing field, taxes, exemptions, music rights, entertainment costs, look at the local ecomomy and if you can spend money with local pubs etc, or ask your TD why Pubs pay more than off licenses just to sell drink for example and are much more regulated.

Just as the lack of bank regulation destroyed the country, the onslaught of regulation and off sales will destroy the nations health.

Pubs and clubs are a safer place to drink, but the time has come they must compete to survive on an uneven playing field, even if they get blamed for everyone who ended up in A+E

• Registered Users Posts: 46,098 ✭✭✭✭muffler

You in the pub trade mistermouse?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

It is an offence for any pub to serve anyone who is drunk or to serve a person who they believe is buying a drink for a drunk person.

Let me just say that NO pub in this country complies with the law. Not one. If they did they would be out of business by now.

Naming and shaming will do absolutely no good. As someone said it would more than lightly be good free advertising. Since every single pub breaks the licencing law to some degree on a daily basis no pub will object to another's policies or behaviour. "let him without sin cast the first stone" and all that.

If the authorities enforced the letter of the law on all pubs chaos would ensue. Another case of successive governments passing laws which in practice are unenforceable !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭Noreen1

Pubs and clubs have to pay around €500 per night for exemptions, just to stay open and try to compete with below cost price selling from supermarkets. Let me restate that, Tesco etc can sell below cost price legally but a pub or club has to pay €500 to stay open later than 11.30 most nights that's before entertainment and heavily weighted insurance etc.

There is no onus on off sales to pay exemptions or any charges really to the state to subsidise anything, be it Gardai or health services.

Not only do the venues employ people, entertainent etc and have to keep investing, but they also have to pay an additional charge to be open late.

If anything off sales account for a large proportion of the problems but work on more favourable terms, many large supermarkets also use their cheap drink as a way of getting you instore to pay for other very profitable products. The like of Tesco have been criticised for not showing their profits from the Irish Market. Many supermarkets have been accused for squeezing suppliers, farmers etc.

Before anyone criticises a venue for charging just more than the supermarkets, look at the playing field, taxes, exemptions, music rights, entertainment costs, look at the local ecomomy and if you can spend money with local pubs etc, or ask your TD why Pubs pay more than off licenses just to sell drink for example and are much more regulated.

Just as the lack of bank regulation destroyed the country, the onslaught of regulation and off sales will destroy the nations health.

Pubs and clubs are a safer place to drink, but the time has come they must compete to survive on an uneven playing field, even if they get blamed for everyone who ended up in A+E

I'm not so sure that pubs and clubs are the safest place to drink (Alcohol + testosterone often lead to violence), but I do think that the amount of alcohol that can be purchased from an off-licence needs to be regulated.

I'm not trying to be a kill-joy for those who enjoy a drink, but I know of two elderly people who buy a full trolley load of booze (Spirits and beer) every week - and they both live alone.:eek:

If they're spending that much on booze - and it is every week - then they can't possibly be eating properly, poor souls.
    The shop staff are clearly uncomfortable serving them, but there doesn't seem to be any regulation that would give them grounds to refuse?

No Muffler, I am not a publican, and actually, I wouldn't want to be one these days, regardless of how well pubs used to be connected.

But I used to work in a pub and everything I said is fully correct in terms of the law. I could tell you lots of things that used to go on and some things in recent times that certainly would ask questions of the law enforcement here, but I don't wish to put the thread into question.

Irish1967 is right, on top of what i stated, though, its also an offence to serve someone who is drunk. Its also an offence to be drunk and disorderly.

The Gardai in Letterkenny are directed by the Super in the area, he was very vocal not so long ago and coming up to his retirement hasn't been heard of, though I suspect that there is alot of reasons for that.

It would be interesting to see who in Letterkenny/Donegal actually have exemptions (required by law for late nights) and who don't, that would open a real can of worms that has been around for years.

I have seen it all, worked for lots of venues and actually could name and shame more than anyone. Thats not the point of what is the problem here.

I think there will be an alcohol pricing initiative nationwide soon, but Donegal will still lose out due to its proximity to the Border.

On radio yesterday a club was criticised for questioning ID, I know for a fact that people have tried to use their siblings ID. Ironically its operated by the same people who are being questioned in this thread, and whom I have always observed to be the strictest in town in their door policy etc

Advertisement