Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

money questions before i leave

Options
  • 24-10-2011 4:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭

hello again i am heading to melbourne in about 3 weeks! i have a place to stay and a cafe job sorted so im wondering how much money should i bring/borrow in order to support myself. Visa first say you need 4000 euros to enter the country which i simply dont have. i have 3000 euros, 1000 of which is going towards visa and flights and 2000 euros to fund my initial stay until i get my own place.

In order to do it legally and get past border control should i borrow an extra 2000 euro from a family member lodge it in my irish bank account so if i get questioned i can show them that i have the required 4000. 2,600 in ozzie dollars in cash and 2,000 euros at home that i can use via my bank card. sorry if this constitutes illegal activity on the forum.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭Kaneda_

Can i ask what age you are?

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭markymark21

danotroy wrote: »
    hello again i am heading to melbourne in about 3 weeks! i have a place to stay and a cafe job sorted so im wondering how much money should i bring/borrow in order to support myself. Visa first say you need 4000 euros to enter the country which i simply dont have. i have 3000 euros, 1000 of which is going towards visa and flights and 2000 euros to fund my initial stay until i get my own place.

In order to do it legally and get past border control should i borrow an extra 2000 euro from a family member lodge it in my irish bank account so if i get questioned i can show them that i have the required 4000. 2,600 in ozzie dollars in cash and 2,000 euros at home that i can use via my bank card. sorry if this constitutes illegal activity on the forum.

Mate they don't check your bank account before you enter the country. they say you need this money so as you have enough money to support yourself starting off. Personally I think you are leaving yourself quite short. You know how expensive Australia is? Those funds will drain very quickly - especially when you start looking for your own place where you will have to pay a bond and other expenses.

At least you have a job sorted going over (which is move then I have - i'm heading over in 10 days) but if the job turns out wrong for you, you don't have much money to fall back on.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭danotroy

i am 24 years old recent masters graduate in town planning with a small background in property (estate agent). i know i am leaving myself short money wise but i have no job in ireland and i have no friends left in my town, i am not joking everyone i know is gone back to college or moved to dublin, cork oz or the UK. I cannot stand it here any longer the winter is coming so i can either try and find a minimum wage job here where i will earn less than 350 a week whilst having to pay transport to the job which is about 50 a week from where i live to cork and try and save an extra few grand by which time the melbourne summer will be over. Along with christmas coming i think i may aswel leave with my little money and do the same in a nicer climate and join my friends in melbourne.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 SC

Totally agree with the sentiment donottry. How did you get the job btw?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 SC

*** apologies*** danotroy

• Advertisement

a friend i used to live and work with in the uk is out there he is working in the bar/cafe trade and he has said that i will have no problem getting a job as he knows lots of places that are looking for reliable staff and he has already put in a few enquires for me which he has said have been very positive. so technically i dont have a job but he has also just been made assistant manager in a cafe so my chances are pretty high.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

You don't need 4k, you need Access to 4k! Have a search on the forum, you'll find it's rarely checked. Having access means your in a position to get the money if needed e.g. Credit card it sufficient in cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Spunk84

Kaneda_ wrote: »

Kaneda:mad: why in every thread do you ask people what age they are and thats it:eek::eek::eek::eek:

hussey wrote: »
    You don't need 4k, you need Access to 4k! Have a search on the forum, you'll find it's rarely checked. Having access means your in a position to get the money if needed e.g. Credit card it sufficient in cases.
    yeah i have read the forum and i know its rarely checked but i just wanted peoples opinions on what i should do. Access to 4k is shady though could you just say you have a large overdraft facility on your account?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

Spunk84 wrote: »
    Kaneda:mad: why in every thread do you ask people what age they are and thats it:eek::eek::eek::eek:

haha was wondering the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

danotroy wrote: »
    yeah i have read the forum and i know its rarely checked but i just wanted peoples opinions on what i should do. Access to 4k is shady though could you just say you have a large overdraft facility on your account?

There is nothing shady, that is the requirement rather than the 5k (aus) itself.
    what's the point in taking a loan and paying interest in something you don't need?

The whole point of that criteria is to show you can support yourself if things don't go your way, it is more for you than the Gov I think, if you came over with 2.5k and another 2.5k in reserve (either a loan, or a overdraft, credit card etc) you will be more than likely okay.

If someone came over with $200 and didn't have any back up, they can see something dodgy might be going on.

hussey wrote: »
    The whole point of that criteria is to show you can support yourself if things don't go your way, it is more for you than the Gov I think, if you came over with 2.5k and another 2.5k in reserve (either a loan, or a overdraft, credit card etc) you will be more than likely okay.

yeah thats what i figure. although the thing is im flying in on a single ticket they might be more likely to check me but as you say i have access to money so i should be okay.

zweton wrote: »
    haha was wondering the same.

in every single AUS post:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

zweton wrote: »

not before i ask you, What age are you?:D

Advertisement