Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Traditional thanksgiving meal? (recipe req)

Options
  • 24-10-2011 4:19pm

Hi all,

I'm having a thanksgiving party this year and I'm looking for some ideas as to make and potential pitfalls to look for. I know I have to cook a turkey (I've never done that before)

Also, it won't be a sit down meal, but I plan on putting the dishes out on the table and let people take whatever they want from the table.

Any help much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭trackguy

Turkeys are tricky so you could opt for a boned and rolled turkey breast? It would be much easier to carve and for people to help themselves.

Sweet potato mash or sweet potato pie is normally part of Thanksgiving meals I think, as is cranberry sauce.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭DaDartle

Some side dishes I grew up on in America were mashed sweet potatoes topped with marshmallows and then baked in the oven until the marshmallows were melted. Very sweet but might make a good conversation piece.

Another is green beans baked with a thick mushroom soup and topped with dried, fried onions.

Along with a good hearty stuffing, mashed potatoes and a proper homemade gravy, you'll need a good apple, pecan or pumpkin pie for dessert.

For a drink, apple cider, the non alcoholic variety warmed in a pot on the stove with a few cinnamon sticks in it is very nice indeed. For those so inclined, a bit of whiskey in the cider and you're sorted.

Enjoy, it's the best holiday of the year.

What I'm thinking so far:10-12 people
    Turkey
    Roasties
    Sweet potato chips
    Hot dogs
    Pecan pie
    Corn on the cob
    Cornbread
    a cheescake
    Meatloaf

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭DaDartle

What I'm thinking so far:10-12 people
    Turkey
    Roasties
    Sweet potato chips
    Hot dogs
    Pecan pie
    Corn on the cob
    Cornbread
    a cheescake
    Meatloaf

There's something about hot dogs on Thanksgiving that doesn't seem right. The corn bread is a good addition though. I know a lot of stuffing recipes use cornbread so that might be one way to incorporate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭SBWife

Hot dogs say July 4th not Thanksgiving.
    Meatloaf would never feature either.

Try MarthaStewart.com for side dish ideas, she has a whole Thanksgiving section.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,289 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

I am STARVING now after reading this:D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Sweet potato mash with some nutmeg grated in, perfection!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭chickenbutt

Green bean casserole is what someone else mentioned, it's soooo good, my favorite thing ever at Thanksgiving besides homemade cranberry sauce!

Definitely not hot dogs. A few other things like cheesecake and corn on the cob really aren't "Thanksgiving". Pumpkin pie, though, now that is staple of a Thanksgiving dinner.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭FTGFOP

I'm not a fan of it but if you're making green bean casserole you might like to know that crispy onions are available in Aldi at the moment. (still stock left in my local anyway)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

While meatloaf isn't traditional, it's nice to serve a vegetarian meatloaf for vegetarians, so they have something "meaty", rather than just the side dishes.
    That's what my American friends do for Thanksgiving dinner anyway!
    Let me know if you want a recipe for a nice veggie meatloaf.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 44,501 ✭✭✭✭Deki

I'm from Ohio and tradition says : Roast Turkey with dressing (I like oyster dressing)
    Mashed Potatoes and Giblet Gravy, Candied Sweet Potatoes, Green Bean Casserole, Broccoli Casserole, Hot Rolls and butter, Cranberry Relish, Hot cofffee, Soft drinks or Iced Tea, Pumpkin Pie topped with whipped cream (usually it's non dairy dessert topping) and Apple Pie. Usually some one brings a veggie tray with cherry tomatoes, carrot slices, cauliflower and broccoli flowerets, olives, pickles, celery, cheese cut in sticks, Ranch dip or French Onion. We eat more at Thanksgiving than any other time of year. We snack on left overs for the rest of the week end (turkey and mayo sandwiches- yum). People bring things to add to the meal- baked beans, chicken and home made noodles, desserts like fruit pizza and tiramisu and stuff. By the time you set it all out the table groans :D:) (and turkey is not so hard to cook, if you have those large size cooking bags it's really easy to keep them moist.)

This is a link to probably the most popular Thanksgiving site in US, I hope it is useful to someone.
    http://www.butterball.com/occasion/lets-be-thankful

If I am not supposed to post links here please forgive me and delete.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

Deki wrote: »
    I'm from Ohio and tradition says : Roast Turkey with dressing (I like oyster dressing)
    Mashed Potatoes and Giblet Gravy, Candied Sweet Potatoes, Green Bean Casserole, Broccoli Casserole, Hot Rolls and butter, Cranberry Relish, Hot cofffee, Soft drinks or Iced Tea, Pumpkin Pie topped with whipped cream (usually it's non dairy dessert topping) and Apple Pie. Usually some one brings a veggie tray with cherry tomatoes, carrot slices, cauliflower and broccoli flowerets, olives, pickles, celery, cheese cut in sticks, Ranch dip or French Onion. We eat more at Thanksgiving than any other time of year. We snack on left overs for the rest of the week end (turkey and mayo sandwiches- yum). People bring things to add to the meal- baked beans, chicken and home made noodles, desserts like fruit pizza and tiramisu and stuff. By the time you set it all out the table groans :D:) (and turkey is not so hard to cook, if you have those large size cooking bags it's really easy to keep them moist.)
    What would you eat on Christmas Day then, out of interest?

Christmas day? Ham probably some good bread,couple of side dishes maybe potato salad or hash brown casserole a green salad usually there's some Christmas candy, cookies and a cake.
    not nearly as much food- doesn't have to last the 4 days not to mention thru the football games and day after Thanksgiving women usually run off to shop. Thanksgiving is decadent. Also you take food to people and send food home with people. Usually when I am through the cooking I can't eat anything. Just don't want to see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭amandausa

My family's traditional Thanksgiving dinner would include:

Turkey
    Sausage Stuffing
    Gravy
    Cranberry Sauce (homemade is so easy jellied or whole berry)
    Mashed potatoes
    Sweet potato casserole (sliced - and after cooked topped with brown sugar, butter and marshmallows - then toasted)
    Green bean casserole
    Mashed turnips
    Candied carrots
    Garlic mushrooms with breadcrumbs
    Sauteed brussel sprouts
    Biscuits

Desserts:
    Pumpkin pie
    Sweet potato pie
    Pecan pie
    Apple Pie
    Stuffed dates

Believe it or not we used to start with some light appetizers and homemade cappelletti soup..

Its definitely a lot but so delicious and leftovers are great!

Yes, that's it- not a one day thing it lasts for at least four days. All that food does get eaten - eventually (or frozen first):p;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,289 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

My American friend has prime rib for Christmas dinner - would this be common in the states deki?

I forgot corn pudding too!

My family always had a filet beef roast for Christmas - but it varies - some people would have turkey - some do a turkey and a ham as well depending on the number of people to serve.

Everyone does Christmas differently. Prime rib sounds good to me. At my house Christmas eve is sort of traditionally fishy- orange roughy, shrimp, crab cakes, fried oysters, scallops, I don't remember how that got started but I enjoy it. We usually have ham on Christmas day because it's easy. Christmas here is a slow day, unless you have to travel. (I know people who try to hit both in laws homes and local grandparents who all try to feed them - dragging their kids along with them- no one is really happy and kids are cranky cause they never get to slow down enough to play with any of the toys ) Christmas is just more laid back.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

amandausa wrote: »
    My family's traditional Thanksgiving dinner would include:

Turkey
    Sausage Stuffing
    Gravy
    Cranberry Sauce (homemade is so easy jellied or whole berry)
    Mashed potatoes
    Sweet potato casserole (sliced - and after cooked topped with brown sugar, butter and marshmallows - then toasted)
    Green bean casserole
    Mashed turnips
    Candied carrots
    Garlic mushrooms with breadcrumbs
    Sauteed brussel sprouts
    Biscuits

Desserts:
    Pumpkin pie
    Sweet potato pie
    Pecan pie
    Apple Pie
    Stuffed dates

Believe it or not we used to start with some light appetizers and homemade cappelletti soup..

Its definitely a lot but so delicious and leftovers are great!

Do you eat the sweet potato casserole as a savoury with the main meal?!:eek:

• Advertisement

We do, yes! As long as you don't overload it with the brown sugar and use mini marshmallows, it works well with the meal... a few sweet components is nice when you have all that food going on! My favorite is the turkey, stuffing and cranberry sauce together yum :)

We usually just heat some butter and some brown sugar to taste and cook canned sweet potatoes in the syrup until heated through, candied sweet potatoes not the casserole. It is a not a dessert - and some people take more sauce than others. Truth is desserts are something left to later in the day with coffee.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

Jasus, no wonder Americans are fat. They make sweet things savoury.

I wait in hope of an invite to a proper thanksgiving meal. I love the idea of hot biscuits/ rolls whatever they are.

We don't eat like this every day :eek::D We couldn't - it takes days. :p But we have a lot to be thankful for ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

You're a little early, ain't ya?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Swampy wrote: »
    I love the idea of hot biscuits/ rolls whatever they are.

Biscuits are white scones, pretty much. Dinner rolls are, well, rolls.

Advertisement