Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

User updating Web Site content

Options
  • 24-10-2011 4:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm creating a simple web site for a client. All fine and well except he wants to be able to update some of the content himself. The sort of thing is a list of special offers maybe updated once a week. The output on the web site would be a bulleted scrolled list. He is very techno afraid and I don't want to let him at the full structure of the site. Ideally, I want some mechanism whereby he can log onto a web site, enter some text, preview the output and press GO.

We don't need a fully blown CMS system - the majority of the site is static and I don't want to re-invent the wheel, providing him with a custom interface when this problem has, no doubt, been solved many times before.

Wondering if anyone has any experience with this - maybe some web-authoring tool that provides a cut-down interface for user specified content.

TIA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Use a CMS with a user friendly interface like WordPress.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭NeoRox

Or use CushyCMS

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭moycullen14

NeoRox wrote: »
    Or use CushyCMS
    Yes, this looks like exactly what I need. Thanks. Have you used it? Any issues?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

I have it on a few sites for exactly this and it's pretty straightforward. You restrict the editable content between class="cushycms" divs and bob's pretty much your uncle. Hard for clients to go wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

That looks like a nice solution, must play with it a bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭adm

used to use cushy but now find http://surrealcms.com/ to be slightly better for editing simple static sites. allows you to edit meta and a few other things.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

is there any free cms, implement yourself solutions? i mean i could code a bad one myself quickly in php or i could just mask wordpress and start giving that away or even worse, repackage and start selling it !?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 web designer meath

Placebo wrote: »
    is there any free cms, implement yourself solutions? i mean i could code a bad one myself quickly in php or i could just mask wordpress and start giving that away or even worse, repackage and start selling it !?

Anything 'opensource' still has terms of use. If you start repackaging stuff you shouldn't be, you're going to land yourself in a whole load of trouble. Most opensource solutions (like wordpress) you can implement yourself very easily.

Advertisement