Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

where is bawnmore in Limerick please

• 24-10-2011 4:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 243 ✭✭

Hello,

im just wondering would someone tell me where is bawnmore in limerick please as my sister is a new student down there as she dosent know her way areound and she has to go to bawnmore and im wondering would people know how far away it is from cratloe area please and what buses she would need to get there - if any
    thanks so much

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Is it the Bawnmore Centre you're looking for?

That's on the Kilmallock Road. From Cratloe, you'd probably have to get the Shannon bus into Limerick. If she's on the Old Cratloe Road, the Caherdavin bus (302) would bring her into town.

I think the 306 goes out near the Kilmallock Road. That departs from the middle of William Street. Someone will have to confirm that for you though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 243 ✭✭squeky

Hello thank you for your speedy reply. Yes the brother of charity centre in bawnmore she wants to go to.
    She is able to make her way into Limerick city from cratloe. So she gets on a bus 306 aiming for Kilmallock. Is that correct? Is the centre far from the city itself.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Okay, I've found the location: http://maps.google.ie/maps?saddr=Unknown+road&daddr=Colbert+Station,+Parnell+Street,+Limerick&hl=en&sll=52.644769,-8.596072&sspn=0.0072,0.021136&geocode=FR5DIwMdquN8_w%3BFYOEIwMdiGV8_ymlJS8JZVxbSDFAhroZqMcAHQ&vpsrc=0&mra=ls&t=h&z=14

It's more likely that she'll need to get the 329 bus from Colbert Station (the bus/train station in Limerick) which does go to Kilmallock. She'll have to ask the driver for the correct ticket price.

I looked up that google map location and it showed me America!!! And the hudson river!! But I'm grateful for your help il get her to go to train/bus station and do what you said and I'm sure bus driver would no. The reason I wondered how far outside Limerick city the bawnmore centre us cause would taxi be better or how long would the bus take. Nut she will no when she tries it!

Got the map working now and it seems to be an hour away on the bus. Would love to work in a residential house or day centre that is nearer to the city. Thanks for all your help to me

• Advertisement

squeky wrote: »
    Got the map working now and it seems to be an hour away on the bus. Would love to work in a residential house or day centre that is nearer to the city. Thanks for all your help to me

An hour? It's only 10 minutes of a drive from the city centre to Bawnmore. A bus should do it in 15 minutes, allowing for traffic and stops on the way. It would take longer if you include the trip in from Cratloe, but not 45 minutes longer.

Are you sure you clicked the link I posted above?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Best off just getting a taxi from town as it isn't the best place to be waking around! It's off the beaten track and it's close to southill!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,339 ✭✭✭✭phog

Bawnmore centre is about a mile from the Kilmallock Rd and not a nice walk for someone on their own, especially in the evenings as daylight hours are getting shorter.

I dont know if a bus goes up towards Bawnmore, if not then best thing would be to check could you bum a lift of another member of staff to and from the centre/bus stop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,087 ✭✭✭Jofspring

No bus to bawnmore as its at a dead end. I definitely wouldn't walk it. A taxi is the best bet the first few times and then maybe see if someone could. Pick you up near by.

Driving directions to Bawnmore, Co. Limerick
    Limerick Co. Cathair Luimnigh 43.1 km, 50 mins

Thats just a copy of what i put into google maps, and thats the time that came up as when i opened your link i had to put in where i was going to, i obviously did it wrong but wasn't going posting up all the directions!! but i believe you as ye would no!

Thanks very much for the tips not not to walk, its just a nusience its so far away would prefer something in the city itself for her as ye said the evenings getting darker and she dosent know limerick at all apart from the city centre!
    im very grateful for all the help,

St. Vincent’s day centre, Lisnagry - would that be closer in the city??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,087 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Thats just a copy of what i put into google maps, and thats the time that came up as when i opened your link i had to put in where i was going to, i obviously did it wrong but wasn't going posting up all the directions!! but i believe you as ye would no!

Thanks very much for the tips not not to walk, its just a nusience its so far away would prefer something in the city itself for her as ye said the evenings getting darker and she dosent know limerick at all apart from the city centre!

No Lisnagry would be further again, its out past UL as if your going to Dublin, but there might be a bus to Lisnagry....a castleconnell bus that stops their perhaps??

Edit: according to bus eireann there is a bus from limerick to st.vincents Lisnagry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

Get the bus to Southill and get off at the very very top and there is a roadway that leads directly to the road that heads to bawnmore. Go down the road and take a right hand turn and it is approx 5-10m mins walk depending on your walking speed. Here is a streetview of where to turn off.

http://maps.google.ie/maps?q=southill+limerick&hl=en&ll=52.646683,-8.602896&spn=0.020231,0.038581&sll=53.401034,-8.307638&sspn=10.189246,19.753418&vpsrc=0&hnear=Southill,+County+Limerick&t=m&z=15&layer=c&cbll=52.647208,-8.602344&panoid=S8J5XasWhb-UriTbrUuTSQ&cbp=12,164.84,,0,9.11

steveon wrote: »
    Get the bus to Southill and get off at the very very top and there is a roadway that leads directly to the road that heads to bawnmore. Go down the road and take a right hand turn and it is approx 5-10m mins walk depending on your walking speed. Here is a streetview of where to turn off.

http://maps.google.ie/maps?q=southill+limerick&hl=en&ll=52.646683,-8.602896&spn=0.020231,0.038581&sll=53.401034,-8.307638&sspn=10.189246,19.753418&vpsrc=0&hnear=Southill,+County+Limerick&t=m&z=15&layer=c&cbll=52.647208,-8.602344&panoid=S8J5XasWhb-UriTbrUuTSQ&cbp=12,164.84,,0,9.11

I wouldn't do it and wouldn't recommend it either.

TBH, I'm disappointed in having to say that but it reflects Irish society as it is today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭padma

i'd take steveon's advise, the bus stop is at the very edge of Southill, a ten minute walk, and within a week or so you'll find someone who'll give a lift.

God lads I'm terrified for her now! Lisnagry might be further away but it's the total opposite direction from moyross and southill I take it!!Be great jofspring If your right and there is a bus direct to that st vincents centre.

Any other day centres closer to Limerick that ye no off?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Here's an idea, most places like Bawnmore/ Lisnagry/St Gabriels collect their patients on buses in the morning and drop them home in the evening...perhaps your sister could ring Bawnmore before starting and see could she catch a lift in the closest bus to where she is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

padma wrote: »
    i'd take steveon's advise, the bus stop is at the very edge of Southill, a ten minute walk, and within a week or so you'll find someone who'll give a lift.

Exactly ,my way of thinking, just cause its southill doesnt mean u will run into trouble, 2 mins walk and your out of southill and not every1 from there is bad..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭source

That's way off, it's only about 7km, here's a map. It says 17 minutes drive time. so probably half hour on buses.

FYI, Google maps has Bawnmore, County Limerick, the tiny village 8 km south of Kilmallock.

The area squeky is looking for is given on Google Maps as Banemore (Ed Limerick South Ru), and is quite near Rathbane, Rathurd and O'Malley Park.

Thanks everyone I'm very grateful to you all. Ye are all very helpful. I agree with You Padma about not tarnishing everyone with the same brush. She will ring both centres today and see what they can do for her and catch a lift on the buses with the service users would be ideal..

• Advertisement

Enable Ireland may also have day centres, they are based out the dock road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LB6

St. Gabriels Day Centre is in Dooradoyle beside St. Paul's NS. Bus to town and then bus from outside Debenhams 304/308 to the Hi-way Restaurant/Hospital. (10 bus ride from town). Safe to walk (3mins) in from stop to St. Gabriels (lovely place btw). Just up the road from the Crescent Shopping Centre. Safest bet of all the centres around the area.

There is also Enable Ireland on the Fr. Russell Road -bus goes down to EI too. Don't know that bus no tho....

Phog, LB6,

Im very grateful thanks a million for that advice yer very sound!! thats great news will get sister to get on to them now, thanks again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭rainbowdrop

That Bawnmore is a townland in Ardpatrick, Co Limerick:D....... Unless your sister want's to be stuck near the Ballyhoura mountains, 30 miles from the city, definitely DON'T follow those directions lol

That Bawnmore is a townland in Ardpatrick, Co Limerick:D....... Unless your sister want's to be stuck near the Ballyhoura mountains, 30 miles from the city, definitely DON'T follow those directions lol

ha ha rainbow drop she definitely wouldn't want that!! google maps not very accurate!!!!!

Advertisement