Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem turning off domestic water mains?

• 24-10-2011 4:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭

I have to replace the valve in the attic water cistern so I need to turn off the water mains.

I've had to do this at a neighbour's water mains during the last cold spell and they had a newer on/off handle which was plastic and very easy to turn.

I think ours is probably the original that they used to install in the 70's. Its a metal handle and it is impossible to turn by hand. I'm not even sure if its supposed to be capable of being turned by hand as its difficult to even get a proper grip on the handle as the access hole is so small. Do I need some kind of special wrench to do it or is it more than likely stiff due to rare use?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Sounds like a regular stop cock. Try cutting the hole open a bit more, and use a spanner as a lever on it. When you do open them again, always close it back a turn rather than leaving it in the fully open position

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭gb153

How do you mean to open the hole a bit more? Do you mean to remove the access hatch altogether or something like that?

I took a pic or two just for clarity. 2nd pic shows my hand just for idea of the size of it. I can't even get a proper grip using an adjustable spanner and/or vice grip.

Am I imagining things or did they used to have a large wrench to open these? like a T shaped one that came up to waste level?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

not the normal setup

Is there not one under the sink?

This may well not reopen if u do get it to close so I would look at trying to fit something closer to the tank,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭No1J

Can you get a spanner to sit down on it vertically and put the vise grips on the spanner, T shaped.
    I have one like that in my house and It was very stiff the first time.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭gb153

Thanks No1J that did the trick. It turned very easily after the first nudge. Just very hard to get any purchase on it initially.

Thanks for all the replies!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

gb153 wrote: »
    How do you mean to open the hole a bit more? Do you mean to remove the access hatch altogether or something like that?

I thought it was under your kitchen sink, often just a small hole left in the back of the press for access. Makes no odds now as your sorted :pac:

Advertisement