Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Creditcard chargeback on paypal gift??

Options
  • 24-10-2011 5:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭

Okay, i did something really stupid and i know it, so please dont lay into me, i feel like a fool...

i agreed to send a paypal gift to someone but i did say it's conditional that it was used for travel expenses...of course it wasnt...

paypal have told me to get lost already because its a gift...

i have sent requests for my money back, no reply and cancelled every time...

i have sent messages asking them to prove they used the money for travel expenses (whch they cant, so they ignore)

i contacted my bank and asked for chargeback, i have never queried or cancelled a transaction in 5 years of credit card usage but i get the feeling they arent gonna be too helpful either... they are sending out some form and it will take 10 days to post to me !!!! i feel im losing time, and im getting nowhere , is this a lost cause, we arent talking piddly amount , its 200 euro, im sick

any advice or experiences of charback procedures with ulster bank credit card? thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

Chargebacks are for when your account has been debited without your permission, for example through fraudulent use of your credit card by a third party, or a company debiting your account without permission. You clearly authorised paypal to debit your credit card.

Even if the bank allow the chargeback, the money will come from paypal's account. They would be able to contest the chargeback (easily done, you used a secure log-in and possibly "verified by visa"). They may also try to recover the money from you, possibly freezing your paypal account.

Your issue isn't with paypal. It's with the person you gave the money to. You would need to take legal action against them to get your money back.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

tenchi-fan wrote: »
    Chargebacks are for when your account has been debited without your permission, for example through fraudulent use of your credit card by a third party, or a company debiting your account without permission. You clearly authorised paypal to debit your credit card.

Even if the bank allow the chargeback, the money will come from paypal's account. They would be able to contest the chargeback (easily done, you used a secure log-in and possibly "verified by visa"). They may also try to recover the money from you, possibly freezing your paypal account.

Your issue isn't with paypal. It's with the person you gave the money to. You would need to take legal action against them to get your money back.

Nothing bank or paypal can do. Your credit card paid paypal the money you requested. Nothing wrong there. Paypal made a gift payment to the beneficiary which was done. The gift option removes the buyer protection inherent in Paypal payments.

Was this a family member or something? Odd to be sending someone travel expenses?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭fjireland

so i literally have no comeback... i know it was foolish on my part but paypal never expressly notified me during the transaction to say it would not be protected transaction, yeah they have in the small print i know when you search it out now that i have a problem but i have seen online that chargebacks are straight forward... and i have seen some american people say they got back gifts... im guessing it will be long and hard fight but im not prepared to let it slide

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

fjireland wrote: »
    so i literally have no comeback... i know it was foolish on my part but paypal never expressly notified me during the transaction to say it would not be protected transaction, yeah they have in the small print i know when you search it out now that i have a problem but i have seen online that chargebacks are straight forward... and i have seen some american people say they got back gifts... im guessing it will be long and hard fight but im not prepared to let it slide

You sent a gift payment. Its in the small print but either way its common sense that a gift is a one way transaction. A gift my definition is the exhange of something with nothing expected in return.

A charge back from the card is where the card has paid for something direct with a seller and the goods/service was not recieved. The credit card paid paypal and thus you got that service. Nothing more CC can do.

Was it family or something otherwise dont understand at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Immaculata

I'm sorry for your situation but IMO, you have no way of reclaiming that money through the bank, credit card company or PayPal. You gave it away, so the bank/credit card company/PayPal don't have any legal way to reclaim it. I'm not giving out to you, it was not your fault that your friend is unreliable but it's not the bank/credit card company/PayPal's fault either. Nor is it their fault that they didn't warn you that the transaction wasn't protected. Lack of protection is to be expected.

I think your best bet is writing to or emailing the person you gave the money to and asking them to return it a.s.a.p.; if they don't within (give a deadline, say 48 hours or a week), then you'll be putting the matter in the hands of your solicitor/taking a case against them to the small claims court.

If no joy from that, then go to the solicitor/small claims court and follow through. I think the small claims court would be better.

Don't beat yourself up. Nobody's perfect and experience is always expensive.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Motorist

It was a bad decision on your behalf, you should take time in future to read the small print and not expect an express notification of everything that can potentially go wrong. That applies to all walks of life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭mackmuffin

Its in the terms and conditions, if you give someone money in say a birthday card and they dont use the money for something you intended, do you ask for it back?

Thanks a mil for the advice... you are about 6 months too late with it though :)

why drag up a thread this old??... im honestly not that slow that i still havent figured out i have no way back to rectifying this ...

i dont use paypal or ebay anymore ... i learned a valuable lesson .. paypal is owned by ebay and actively try to stop chargebacks despit evidence from myself and another person that we both were scammed ...

you ever pay for a service upfront and arent happy with it when you get it, you wouldnt dream of asking for a refund would you????

eg. a builder asks for part or full payment upfront , you arent happy with the work, you wouldnt look for a part or full refund no????

but again thanks for the adive 6 months later, cheers, kinda figured out i had no comeback along time ago

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Don't dig up old threads. Don't respond to posts you don't like on thread, report them.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement