Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Movie dilemmas

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

bnt wrote: »
    Superman might be able to leap tall buildings with a single bound, but what if he and Lois Lane ever wanted to take their relationship to the next level? It's not as easy as it might sound. Have a read: Man of Steel, Woman of Kleenex. Quote:
    :eek:

I've been looking for that for ages. The relentless logic is brilliant.
    orourkeda wrote: »
    How is it possible to love a film yet not fully understand it?

There's loads (well a fair few) of films I love that I've either not fully understood, or picked up on stuff when watching again that I'd missed first time round.
    * takes deep breath *

Phew!

Huh! That actually makes some kind of sense. Much watch it again.
    You got one for Lost Highway?

Primer. The whole film, really.

The Big Sleep. There's at least one bit that can't be pinned on anyone, but I think even Chandler said he wasn't sure whodunnit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

In Superman the Movie, Superman can fly so fast that he can reverse the spinning of the earth. Outlandish enough. But, he reverses time aswell. :confused: The laziest plot device ever. Even as a youngfella you could tell it was BS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭LittleBook

In Gremlins, you're not supposed to feed them after midnight. But when does "after midnight" end??

Also, who the fúck shot Nice Guy Eddie???

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

LittleBook wrote: »
    In Gremlins, you're not supposed to feed them after midnight. But when does "after midnight" end??

Also, who the fúck shot Nice Guy Eddie???

:)

after midnight..I presume when AM ends.
    Mr.White killed eddie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

In Gremlins it said don't feed the mogwai after midnight.

But sure isn't it in theory always after midnight?

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭godscop

Not a movie but did Tony Soprano
    get whacked
    ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

MOH wrote: »

Huh! That actually makes some kind of sense. Much watch it again.
    You got one for Lost Highway?

I actually do! Though I should point out that these come from reading a lot about David Lynch in college and watching his films many many times.

Lost Highway is actually quite similar to Mulholland Drive.
    Basically Fred (Bill Pullman) is being driven crazy with jealousy at the thought his wife Renee is having an affair. When she's killed and he's convicted of her murder, this pushes him over the edge and he becomes/imagines himself to be Pete (Balthazar Getty).

Like the dream in Mulholland Drive, this is a form of escape into fantasy.
    Fred imagines himself as a younger, better-looking version of himself who gets himself involved in a noir-like plot in which his wife is transformed into Alice, an innocent damsel in distress he gets to rescue and who's attracted to him instead of cheating on him.

But again, reality intrudes, especially at the end in the form of the Mystery Man who tells him Alice is really Renee as Pete transforms back into Fred and is then chased by the cops as his head is physically in turmoil. He tried to escape into fantasy but ultimately he can't escape the guilt of killing his wife and is just going round and round in circles, reflected by the fact that the end of the film syncs up with the beginning ("Dick Laurent is dead," the shot of the highway).

The main difference between Lost Highway and Mulholland Drive is that it's hard to simply explain the fantasy as a dream in Lost Highway.
    The film seems to go out of its way to show that Fred actually physically transforms into Pete, plenty of weird stuff happens before the fantasy begins, and of course there's the paradox of Fred saying "Dick Laurent is dead" at the end of the film which he hears on the intercom at the beginning.
    It gives the film a cool moebius-strip structure which reflects Fred/Pete's mind as it goes round and round but can't escape his guilt and it keeps repeating on him.

Though that's what I like about most of Lynch's films: there's a general story you can identify, but there's always little inconsistencies and weird things that contradict that story. And of course they're so rich you can make your own interpretation.
    Best to just sit back and enjoy!

The Sixth Sense.

For the whole movie,
    Bruce Willis is dead. Yet the film plays out over a matter of weeks and he fails to realise this. Do ghosts not sleep, eat, drive, shower etc. What pissed me off is that when the twist is 'revealed' Willis is shocked to discover this. :confused: It would have been better if the reveal showed that he knew this all along.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

Watch Primer and you'll know

Star Wars Episode 3 - Revenge of the Sith.

The only way for Anakin Skywalker
    to save Padme from death during childbirth is if he embraces and learns from the dark side of the force. Darth Sidious convinces him to become his apprentice in order to achieve this. He goes from annoying Jedi to Darth Vader (even slaying young Jedi's) in the space of about 3 months.
    :confused::confused: FFS

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 jonhsmith3

I have a bunch of movies I've never seen before, which one should I watch tonight.

jonhsmith3 wrote: »
    I have a bunch of movies I've never seen before, which one should I watch tonight.

That one.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭plastic glass

Two words. Mulholland Drive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

Two words. Mulholland Drive

Mullholland drive is handy enough to understand with a little bit of research and a second watch

Great film though

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

foxyboxer wrote: »
    In Superman the Movie, Superman can fly so fast that he can reverse the spinning of the earth. Outlandish enough. But, he reverses time aswell. :confused: The laziest plot device ever. Even as a youngfella you could tell it was BS.

He was Jesus in that movie. Spinning the axis backwards was just a visual representation of the concept of reversing time. Even way back in the seventies they knew if you span the earth backwards it would not go back in time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

Can anyone explain what happened for the entire duration of inception?

Yes
    Actually, no, I walked out on it. It was a pile of ****

whubee wrote: »
    makes me wonder - when, in some films they are do a sexytime scene, and theyre mostly naked and grinding, does yer man not get a boner.
    and if so does he not try to throw it in maybe...by accident.

this was on boards before it think...n/m

George C Scott (Patton, Dr. Strangelove) was filming a sex scene for a movie. As he was getting into bed he turns to the actress and utters the immortal words

"I apologise if I get an erection....<pause>...and if I don't"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

How long did it take to build the Death Star?

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭pajunior

--Kaiser-- wrote: »
    George C Scott (Patton, Dr. Strangelove) was filming a sex scene for a movie. As he was getting into bed he turns to the actress and utters the immortal words

"I apologise if I get an erection....<pause>...and if I don't"

I heard an interview with some random actress and before a sex scene the actor apologized in advance for getting an erection.

She said she was never more embarrassed as when she realized that half way through he was completely soft.

• Advertisement

How long did it take to build the Death Star?

It seemed to take way way longer to build the first one.

But I suppose that makes sense . . . .

Also if it took the Empire 20 odd years to build the death star how did the rebels only manage to find out when Lea intercepted some blueprints?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

mathie wrote: »
    In Gremlins it said don't feed the mogwai after midnight.

But sure isn't it in theory always after midnight?

Yeah, I always wondered when it was technically ok to feed him again as well.

I guess the presumption is that as soon as the sun comes up it's ok. It's never explained, though.

pajunior wrote: »
    It seemed to take way way longer to build the first one.

But I suppose that makes sense . . . .

Also if it took the Empire 20 odd years to build the death star how did the rebels only manage to find out when Lea intercepted some blueprints?

...and why did the Empire design a conveniently accessible means of destroying it in the blueprints. :D

And how did the Rebel Army get graphic artists to illustrate the proposed attack so quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

In the Kill Bill films why did the bad guys not just shoot her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

If anyone has watched MONSTERS did you do the same as me and sit the whole time thinking GET A F*CKING PLANE

its not a spoiler as its the plot

2 people have to go from mexico to the US but a section 150 deep is "the infected zone" with giant alien squid like creatures are there

so they try and get a boat and this eventually fails so they decide to walk/drive etc. It costs them 15 grand in total and her da is a multi billionaire.

so even if all airports were closed they could head to ANYWHERE else in S America and then to europe or hawaii and then onto the states

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭ZombieBride

In Terminator why don't the future robots just kill the protector/father guy then, stopping John Connor from being conceived and all this crazy time travel nonsense?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭xsiborg

In Terminator why don't the future robots just kill the protector/father guy then, stopping John Connor from being conceived and all this crazy time travel nonsense?

john connors father was unknown...
    his father was the resistance fighter that was sent back to protect sarah connors after arnie was sent back first to kill her...
    ;)

xsiborg wrote: »
    john connors father was unknown...
    his father was the resistance fighter that was sent back to protect sarah connors after arnie was sent back first to kill her...
    ;)

I may be misremembering, but in Terminator Salvation,
    doesn't Skynet know Reese is John's father (I think Sarah mentions him openly in her interviews with the psychiatrist in the 2nd film so they could know from that) and deliberately capture him to ensure John comes to their base so they can kill him?
    Still doesn't explain why they didn't just kill Kyle Reese to ensure that John wouldn't be born.

Which reminds me of Skynet's stupidity in luring John to their main base and sending, what, one or two terminators to kill him? Surely there must have been loads of deadly killing machines about the place: why not throw them all at him!?
    And why is the main robot base designed for humans to walk around in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

does this make her a prostitute as she is doing it as part of her job?
    What other movies left you questioning weird details?

What about 9songs... where they actually have sex. Is that prostitution?

smash wrote: »
    What about 9songs... where they actually have sex. Is that prostitution?

it only had 8 songs too

very dissapointing... although must download again, that and the brown bunny

love the IMDB parent guide
    The end of the movie contains a real oral sex scene. The character Daisy is on her knees, performing oral sex on the character Bud. This is an actual oral sex scene, where a real penis is shown in the actress' mouth for a substantial length of time. He finishes in her mouth and she swallows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

whubee wrote: »
    makes me wonder - when, in some films they are do a sexytime scene, and theyre mostly naked and grinding, does yer man not get a boner.
    and if so does he not try to throw it in maybe...by accident.

this was on boards before it think...n/m

Im not sure how true this is but I remember reading before that a lot of actors will stick there member to there legs for sex scenes, incase of boners or it slapping against whoever there doing the sex scene with.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

a lot of actors will stick there member to there legs for sex scenes

You mean strap their cock to their leg!

I may be misremembering, but in Terminator Salvation,
    doesn't Skynet know Reese is John's father (I think Sarah mentions him openly in her interviews with the psychiatrist in the 2nd film so they could know from that) and deliberately capture him to ensure John comes to their base so they can kill him?
    Still doesn't explain why they didn't just kill Kyle Reese to ensure that John wouldn't be born.

Which reminds me of Skynet's stupidity in luring John to their main base and sending, what, one or two terminators to kill him? Surely there must have been loads of deadly killing machines about the place: why not throw them all at him!?
    And why is the main robot base designed for humans to walk around in?

ah here, for me there were only two real terminator movies, and that was it, the whole second and third sequel (terminator 3, terminator 4) and then the whole tv series just rip the píss outta the whole thing in a desperate attempt to reboot a cash cow franchise! terrible movies btw, and that tv series, geez... :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

No i didnt say strap i said stick becuase im not sure what method they use, I said member because i was trying to be a bit more polite, and thanks for the grammar correction you thy master of the English language, now f*ck off.

Some of us have to do that anyway
    Woof woof!

xsiborg wrote: »
    ah here, for me there were only two real terminator movies, and that was it, the whole second and third sequel (terminator 3, terminator 4) and then the whole tv series just rip the píss outta the whole thing in a desperate attempt to reboot a cash cow franchise! terrible movies btw, and that tv series, geez... :(

I'm 100% with you on that one. T2 brought things to a natural and conclusive end, and it was painful to see them ignore that and drag things on just for money.
    I have watched Terminators 3 and 4 though, out of some morbid curiosity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69 ✭✭IdidIt

what was in the briefcase in pulp fiction???

IdidIt wrote: »

An orange light bulb ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭LittleBook

after midnight..I presume when AM ends.

Still "after midnight"
    Mr.White killed eddie

Well no, not exactly. He was supposed to but Nice Guy Eddie accidentally shot him first and Tarantino didn't correct it ... just sayin' since you were kind enough to respond. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 774 ✭✭✭stealinhorses

*In the new episodes of the Walking Dead:
    Rick and Daryl open up the first zombie they killed to look for, I presume, Sophia's body parts. They don't do it with all the other zombies they kill afterwards.

*In Breaking Bad:
    How many clues does Hank need to figure out that there is something dodgy about Walt? He knows he meets Jessie the odd time, he sees how weird he acts in situations where Hank is close to finding out (Gale's notebook, crashing the car just as Hank wanted to check out the factory, etc). Annoys me to bits.

*Also, whenever a character is on a long journey, takes part in a war, etc., they never show when he pees or poops. Surely that would be a big issue if you were running away from aliens destroying a city or taking part in the battle with the Persians in "300". Those needs don't just magically disappear, and you can't really hold it in and be ready to fight/run for your life.

*Why did Mace Windu take so long to do anything after disarming Palpatine? Could have saved the entire galactic if he just went on about his business, it's his talking that encouraged Anakin to just shut him the f*ck up. It's an annoying reverse on the whole "bad guy captures good guy and explains his plan to destroy the world in exact detail for ages until a deus ex machina ruins it all".

*Why do women in movies always wake up with their make-up on in the morning and their hair perfectly done up?

Can't think of any more, but there are loads.

*Why do women in movies always wake up with their make-up on in the morning and their hair perfectly done up?

i take it you haven't seen the movie "Bridesmaids" yet then? answered that question for me at least! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭saintsaltynuts

It contained a scroll that Marcellas Wallace needed to get his soul back after he sold it to the devil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Dotrel

*Why did Mace Windu take so long to do anything after disarming Palpatine? Could have saved the entire galactic if he just went on about his business, it's his talking that encouraged Anakin to just shut him the f*ck up. It's an annoying reverse on the whole "bad guy captures good guy and explains his plan to destroy the world in exact detail for ages until a deus ex machina ruins it all".

Wasn't Mace about to arrest him, not kill him? I think he only got a couple of lines out before the Emperor started shooting lighting at him.

A bigger problem with that scene is they do the same action shot from two angles (Emperor crawling backwards to the wall and Mace point his lightsabre at him). The two aren't even close to matching. Can't work out if it was deliberate or just yet another mistake in the overall shítfest.

Anyway you could probably drive yourself insane trying to make sense of all the illogic and inconsistencies in those prequels.

Also isn't it ironic that a guy called Mace Windu dies by falling out of a window?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭LighterGuy

Terminator Salvation.

Its stupid the way Skynet don't kill Kyle Reese as soon as they captured him. Doesnt make sense. In previous Terminator movies the machines were unrelentless. It was bad writing.

And as said before, how did the machines know about Kyle Reese? But I guess that could be explained. Sarah Conner telling the shrink in Terminator 2 or The TX being around Skynet in Terminator 3. Problem is tho, it never told how or even suggested. A simple line spoken by Connor in Salvation could of revealed all. Again, bad writing.

It contained a scroll that Marcellas Wallace needed to get his soul back after he sold it to the devil.

it was actually "supposed" to be diamonds and they are referenced in original scripts and all that stuff. but because QT didn't want it to much like Resovoir Dogs (diamond heist gone wrong if anyone hasn't seen it) he decided to make it a mystery instead.

The whole devil/soul thing sprung from the mystery and uses the plaster at the back of Marcels (?) neck as proof saying that thats where the devil enters you or something.

also nice little trivia thing all clocks in the film are at 4.20 some of you will get the reference if not then fair play to ya!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Faolchu

the whole death start thing is explained in one of the starwars books, apparantly the first one was
    built inside a black hole or something like that

Faolchu wrote: »
    the whole death start thing is explained in one of the starwars books, apparantly the first one was
    built inside a black hole or something like that

Not that I want to go on about the prequels but the last one clearly showed the Death Star being built out in the open.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Faolchu

Not that I want to go on about the prequels but the last one clearly showed the Death Star being built out in the open.

well thats George Lucas for you, he allows one thing in the expanded universe novels and then contradicts it in his movies/cartoon show i remember seeing that to and getting confused.
    I mean the Mandalorians where according to the books a war like people but the cartoons have them as peaceful
    inside the black hole there was a whole R&D type facility where a lot of other things got built

nice to see George Lucas has as much resperct for the laws of physics as he has for keeping the classics.

At least after messing with the indy films over and over he had the decency not to do Indy 4... CAUSE THAT MOVIE NEVER EXISTED it was just a bad dream and rumour

Faolchu wrote: »
    well thats George Lucas for you, he allows one thing in the expanded universe novels and then contradicts it in his movies/cartoon show i remember seeing that to and getting confused.
    I mean the Mandalorians where according to the books a war like people but the cartoons have them as peaceful
    inside the black hole there was a whole R&D type facility where a lot of other things got built

To be fair to Lucas he did tell people not to write anything about what happened directly before the original three movies. This would very obviously include the building of the death star, so really it's the authors own fault.

Thankfully I have never subjected myself to the cartoon series, although I was foolish enough to go see the clone wars film :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

To be fair to Lucas he did tell people not to write anything about what happened directly before the original three movies. This would very obviously include the building of the death star, so really it's the authors own fault.

Thankfully I have never subjected myself to the cartoon series, although I was foolish enough to go see the clone wars film :(

you should, its fantastic. the movie was crap but the series is everything the prequels should have been. Its laughable that people who arent George Lucas can do Star Wars better than he can, check this out:

thats a 4 minute trailer for the new game and its better than the entirety of Episode 1

Advertisement