Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Movie dilemmas

124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭pajunior

^^ I've seen that and nearly creamed my pants. I played both of the original single player Old Republic games and like you said they are everything that the prequels aren't.

But I thought that the cartoon series was a Lucas creation and from what I heard it had as much depth as a teaspoon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

krudler wrote: »
    you should, its fantastic. the movie was crap but the series is everything the prequels should have been. Its laughable that people who arent George Lucas can do Star Wars better than he can, check this out:

And that's a fact. He's got vision coming out of his ears but he can't write or direct to save his life. The dialogue in the 3 prequels is painful to listen to

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

I was watching a new Nicholas Cage movie called Trespass. It's a hostage/heist movie where he's a diamond dealer and some masked men break into his house to steal diamonds from a secret safe. Now they know a lot about the family, know a lot about the security in the house, have lots of leverage against hime, but they just can't get him to open the safe. The whole time you're wondering why he won't open the safe???

At the end of the movie I just couldn't figure it out..............

How does Nicholas Cage still get work?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

In guy ritchies revolver

what the hell does the last 10 minutes mean?

whole way through i was thinking its ok it'll explain all this weirdness and then it ends

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,109 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

danniemcq wrote: »
    In guy ritchies revolver

what the hell does the last 10 minutes mean?

whole way through i was thinking its ok it'll explain all this weirdness and then it ends

It meant
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . HE DID'T HAVE A CLUE HOW TO DIRECT. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

In The Bourne Ultimatum, during the Waterloo Station sequence, Bourne purchases a "pre-paid phone please" and plants it in Paddy Considine pocket to subsequently guide him along. How the hell was it charged so quickly? :confused::confused: That's a gadget even Q branch would be proud of!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Mindkiller

How come in 'Beetlejuice', the ghosts can't be seen or heard by the family but when they put on bedsheets everyone can hear them? And how come later on they can disfigure their faces to scare people when earlier on we learnt that they can't be seen?

Quazzie wrote: »
    It meant
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . HE DID'T HAVE A CLUE HOW TO DIRECT. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Damn you i thought you had some massive insight!

still like his other stuff though! rock n rolla was brilliant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Dotrel

krudler wrote: »
    you should, its fantastic. the movie was crap but the series is everything the prequels should have been. Its laughable that people who arent George Lucas can do Star Wars better than he can, check this out:

thats a 4 minute trailer for the new game and its better than the entirety of Episode 1

How is that better tho? It's just a 4minute action clip. It might look cool but didn't make care about anyone in it or make believe I could sit thru 2h20minutes of it.

But the new TV show is good tho. It appears Star Wars works best in 20 minute chunks. In fact if you consider the prequels in that manner they can be quiet enjoyable. It's when you try judging them as coherent 2hour movies you begin to see what a tedious mess they are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

foxyboxer wrote: »
    In The Bourne Ultimatum, during the Waterloo Station sequence, Bourne purchases a "pre-paid phone please" and plants it in Paddy Considine pocket to subsequently guide him along. How the hell was it charged so quickly? :confused::confused: That's a gadget even Q branch would be proud of!

phones always come with a charge on them these days, I used my last phone straight out of the box without charging it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Did Harry Callahan fire six shots or only five. I can never tell.

:pac:
    Guns back then only ever had 5 in the chamber as a safety precaution.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,260 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

*In the new episodes of the Walking Dead:
    Rick and Daryl open up the first zombie they killed to look for, I presume, Sophia's body parts. They don't do it with all the other zombies they kill afterwards.
    Also, in Episode 2
    when they're searching for the little girl, they spend the whole day out in the forest looking for her, and no one has anything to eat at all. Why on earth would they let the little fella tag along without having any provision made for any food for least of all him? Also, since the zombies didn't have the intelligence to look under the cars etc.... until they were noises made how come one of them went into the camper van to have a nose around? Why didn't the rest of them do likewise with the rest of the vans. With all the cars scattered on the highway full of dead bodies, how is it none of them are zombies either?
    Mindkiller wrote: »
    How come in 'Beetlejuice', the ghosts can't be seen or heard by the family but when they put on bedsheets everyone can hear them? And how come later on they can disfigure their faces to scare people when earlier on we learnt that they can't be seen?

They can disfigure they're faces yes, but only Lydia can see them. They were trying to scare the rest of the family, but they couldn't be seen so it was pointless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,033 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Films set in space have to face another dilemma: sound does not travel in the vacuum of space, If a spaceship was to give off some gas near a microphone, sound could travel in that gas, but that's it. All those bizarre sounds emitted by the spaceships in Star Wars films while dodging asteroids or whatever: total fiction. Strictly speaking, all shots with a viewpoint in vacuum should be silent. The makers of 2001: A Space Odyssey took pains to get such details right ... at least in the scenes set in "reality". The last few minutes of the film may as well be in a different universe. ;)

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

bnt wrote: »
    Films set in space have to face another dilemma: sound does not travel in the vacuum of space, If a spaceship was to give off some gas near a microphone, sound could travel in that gas, but that's it. All those bizarre sounds emitted by the spaceships in Star Wars films while dodging asteroids or whatever: total fiction. Strictly speaking, all shots with a viewpoint in vacuum should be silent. The makers of 2001: A Space Odyssey took pains to get such details right ... at least in the scenes set in "reality". The last few minutes of the film may as well be in a different universe. ;)

You criticise the noises that the starwars ships make in space but not the lightsabers, robots, the force, jedis and seven foot tall wookies.
    Interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,443 ✭✭✭Riddle101

godscop wrote: »
    Not a movie but did Tony Soprano
    get whacked
    ?

The guy who plays Johnny Sack gives his opinion in this interview.

Anyway my question. In the Godfather part 1. Why did Vito Corleone send Luca Brasi to meet with The Turk. Brasi is the Corleone family's most loyal and feared enforcer. Why would he send his best man to get whacked like that. I know he wanted Brasi to make The Turk think he was switching sides, but a smart man like Vito should have known that it was too risky and that he should have sent someone else. By doing so, not only did they eliminate Brasi from the picture but it set up Vito's assassantion attempt. If Brasi had of survived, maybe things would have worked out better for the Corleone family.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭IcedOut

Harry Potter is confusing, I dont understand why they dont get guns and shoot all the bad people

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭How so Joe

IcedOut wrote: »
    Harry Potter is confusing, I dont understand why they dont get guns and shoot all the bad people

In the books, at least, it's explained that 'muggle' technology goes haywire around magic.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭IcedOut

How so Joe wrote: »
    In the books, at least, it's explained that 'muggle' technology goes haywire around magic.

I've read the books, must of missed that bit lol

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    You criticise the noises that the starwars ships make in space but not the lightsabers, robots, the force, jedis and seven foot tall wookies.
    Interesting.
    Have you seen any of the prequels? I remember that one of the ships sounded like a constipated lawnmower chewing through a rhododendron bush, backwards. It's not right! But then you probably didn't notice that I was criticising space operas in general, not just Lucas' Follies.

— Kingsley Amis

That wouldn't really explain it since guns are mechanical and of course would work around magic.
    But any wizard would be able to deflect bullets and would probably be able to heal a bullet wound easily enough.

Also I would give up on finding plot holes in Harry Potter there are an infinite amount, just remember that it was originally written as a children's book.

• Advertisement

Have you seen any of the prequels? I remember that one of the ships sounded like a constipated lawnmower chewing through a rhododendron bush, backwards. It's not right! But then you probably didn't notice that I was criticising space operas in general, not just Lucas' Follies.

Which is why Serenity is THE BEST space movie ever.

Same with the tv show firefly and even battlestar got it right, star wars sucks

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭irishejit

IcedOut wrote: »

I can't remember who said it but I remember someone on telly asking that if he's that magic why doesn't he fix his eyes so he doesn't need glasses?? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭godscop

Riddle101 wrote: »

Anyway my question. In the Godfather part 1. Why did Vito Corleone send Luca Brasi to meet with The Turk. Brasi is the Corleone family's most loyal and feared enforcer. Why would he send his best man to get whacked like that. I know he wanted Brasi to make The Turk think he was switching sides, but a smart man like Vito should have known that it was too risky and that he should have sent someone else. By doing so, not only did they eliminate Brasi from the picture but it set up Vito's assassantion attempt. If Brasi had of survived, maybe things would have worked out better for the Corleone family.

What was your take on the Sopranos ending ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

I always find it weird watching Harry Potter how it tries to be all serious and ****, and then someone utters that "muggle" word and it jolts me back into realising I am watching a kids film.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

If you re-edited Pulp fiction or Inception, what would they be like?
    The Sixth Sense.

For the whole movie,
    Yet the film plays out over a matter of weeks
    I'm sure there is a "several months" later near the start.
    pajunior wrote: »
    Also I would give up on finding plot holes in Harry Potter there are an infinite amount, just remember that it was originally written as a children's book.
    And Star Wars is a series of childrens' movies.
    Films set in space have to face another dilemma: sound does not travel in the vacuum of space,
    Who is to say that the microphone isn't on a ship?

And, if travelling near the speed of light, the colour of your ship should change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47 Kaos Theory

In The Matrix 1, Cypher the guy who rats out the rest of the crew goes into the matrix alone at night when everyone is asleep or playing cards or whatever, No. 1: Who plugs him in to the computer does he jack that horrible thing in himself?
    No. 2 Who gets him out of it, it shows countless times you need an operator but he can just jump in and out as he pleases :confused:
    1. Probably sets the spike in place then falls back onto it, the weight of his head being enough to ensure its inserted enough.

2. Probably wrote a batch file that kicked in after a set amount of time. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Riddle101 wrote: »

I found the ending of the sopranos to be a touch disappointing.

Theres no way of knowing what may or may not have happened.

But theres confusion over several other characters. Silvio, Paulie Ton Sopranos sister?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

In 'When Harry met Sally' in the famous scene in the diner, where the Meg Ryan character demonstrates to Billy Crystal that it's possible for a woman to fake an orgasm realistically, she does so in a completely un-realistic way, thus actually proving Billy Crystal's point.
    Why didn't Billy Crystal call her on this - or was he just too embarrassed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

But in the order of the pheonix movie theres a scene in the library and there is a girl with a laptop.

• Advertisement

But in the order of the pheonix movie theres a scene in the library and there is a girl with a laptop.

That is a bit odd and is against the logic provided in the books. Very large oversight from the set people there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47 Kaos Theory

Conor108 wrote: »
    In 'Back to the future 2' old Biff from 2015 used the Deloreon to go back to 1955 an give the sports almanac to his younger self while Doc & Marty were busy.

How did he get the Deloreon back to 2015 though so that Doc & Marty could go back to 1985 and see that Biff was rich and the timeline had been changed?!?

If he gave the almanac to himself in 1955 then went to return the Deloreon to 2015, it woulda been the 2015 of the new timeline he'd just created!

THIS KEEPS ME UP AT NIGHT.
    Have been thinking about this since lunchtime and have come up with 2 possibilities: have no response, my mind is blown. :eek:

Thanks Conor108, you've just given me serious mind-**** ammo for my 2 movie-nerd housemates tonight! :D

Have been thinking about this since lunchtime and have come up with 2 possibilities: have no response, my mind is blown. :eek:

Thanks Conor108, you've just given me serious mind-**** ammo for my 2 movie-nerd housemates tonight! :D

We know that the Biff of 1955 actually lives to an old age in 2015.
    Having gone back to 1955 and given the almanac to his younger self he eventually becomes rich and famous altering his lifestyle and infamy.

We don't know what happens in that timeline from 1985 to 2015. That's 30 years, a significant amount of time. Maybe he died of a heart attack or was murdered well before 2015 failing to become the old man he was initially and in the intervening years Hill Valley has been improved socially so the difference between the dual timelines would be negligible.

Victor wrote: »
    Who is to say that the microphone isn't on a ship?
    So what if it is? A ship is not the vacuum of space, is it? It's about the medium between the source of the sound and the microphone. If there is nothing but space between them, there won't be a sound in the space.

(However: if you set off a bomb near a spaceship, there's a chance you'd hear something - since a bomb emits gas, and sound can travel through that. )

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Why wasn't Aunt Harriet in any of the Batman films?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

Twilight, why are the actors and everone involved behind the scenes so so ****ty professionally and as people

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Captain Limerick

I know its a late one to add to this thread,
    but in Twilight yer man has no bed.
    So when he brings his bird around,
    They've nowhere to lie down.
    Does that mean he only gets head?

Conor108 wrote: »
    In 'Back to the future 2' old Biff from 2015 used the Deloreon to go back to 1955 an give the sports almanac to his younger self while Doc & Marty were busy.

How did he get the Deloreon back to 2015 though so that Doc & Marty could go back to 1985 and see that Biff was rich and the timeline had been changed?!?

If he gave the almanac to himself in 1955 then went to return the Deloreon to 2015, it woulda been the 2015 of the new timeline he'd just created!

THIS KEEPS ME UP AT NIGHT.

I used to watch "Back to the Future" 2,
    And this one would puzzle me too.
    Turns out there's a deleted scene,
    Where he comes back in the machine,
    Then collapses, and fades out of view.

We know that the Biff of 1955 actually lives to an old age in 2015.
    Having gone back to 1955 and given the almanac to his younger self he eventually becomes rich and famous altering his lifestyle and infamy.

We don't know what happens in that timeline from 1985 to 2015. That's 30 years, a significant amount of time. Maybe he died of a heart attack or was murdered well before 2015 failing to become the old man he was initially and in the intervening years Hill Valley has been improved socially so the difference between the dual timelines would be negligible.

Ahem. I thought that scene was always in Part 2????

I know its a late one to add to this thread,
    but in Twilight yer man has no bed.
    So when he brings his bird around,
    They've nowhere to lie down.
    Does that mean he only gets head?

What's wrong with the floor even if that's too uncomfortable there is always standing, or spooning, or sitting, or doggy style.

pajunior wrote: »
    What's wrong with the floor even if that's too uncomfortable there is always standing, or spooning, or sitting, or doggy style.

Ok but where do guests in that house go to sleep?
    Do they just lie on the floor in a heap?
    Why not buy a spare bed or two?
    It's just the polite thing to do.
    I reckon that vampire's just cheap.

• Advertisement

Ok but where do guests in that house go to sleep?
    Do they just lie on the floor in a heap?
    Why not buy a spare bed or two?
    It's just the polite thing to do.
    I reckon that vampire's just cheap.

I've never actually seen the film I was just commenting on the sex part. I don't know nor do i want to know anything about a vampires daily life according to those books/movies.

Advertisement