Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IP address for network printer keeps changing on workstation boot-up

Options
  • 24-10-2011 5:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭

IP address for network printer keeps changing on workstation boot-up

Not tech minded so forgive the description...:)

Set up is am using a vodafone router as a hub for a network printer and the port address keeps changing every-time I reboot the local PC

For example, the current, not working settings, under ports in the printer properties section are
    Port name 192.168.1.2
    IP Address 192.168.1.4

If I re run the printer install utility it looks for the printer and shows the IP as 192.168.1.5.
    I go back and change the 4 to 5 in port tab and happy days...

What do I need to do to fix it?
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

What printer is that !?

During the setup,select wired/networked printer AND not usb/local,chose "change settings" and select a manual IP address,following like this:
    IP:192.168.1.253
    Mask:255.255.255.0

Then,install printer using the supplied media.

Delete/Remove printer on all other computers and run the setup off install media,select "Search" and you'll find the "new" printer and install it by following the wizard ..

Good luck...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

Thanks, will that new IP address need to be 'admissible' in the router: ie do I have to set a range of IP addresses in the router?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Check the DHCP range in the router, give an IP outside that range to the printer. Not 192.168.1.0/192.168.1.255 or the IP of the router obviously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

The Router will give from 192.168.1.2 up to 254,with 192.168.1.1 !

By giving the 253...it means that you'll need over 250 devices on your LAN 'till you get an IP address conflict !

OR

you can change the DHCP scope range on the router,but it needs knowledge,not that you do not have it,but just call me lasy ... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Set a reservation on the router. First find the currently connected devices and get the MAC or Hardware address for it - it'll be 16 characters long.

Then find the section on the tcpip config in the router to reserve addresses. Pick an address and use the MAC to reserve it. That way everytime that printer is turned on it will get the reserved address and no other device will get it so no conflicts.

The manual for your router will give exact details.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Vodafone modems can "support"* devices shared through USB ports, can the OP confirm how the printer is attached to the modem?

* "support": This is a very poor modem and it has various issues sharing devices via USB to the extent that I refuse to set up any such shares on a clients equipment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

do you have it as a Static IP, it sounds like you dont if it keeps changing after Booting.

Check your Routing Table. and post up what you get.

Advertisement