Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCD SU Wants YOUR input!!!

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Ah, come on now, they're probably getting pittance compared to the work they put in. . .

And what the hells a "Sabat"?

That you don't know what a "Sabat" is shows that you lack knowledge on this topic. Fair enough this is your first year, but some of us have been in UCD for far longer and just know more about UCD and the role (or total lack of a role) they play in college life. You are talking about class reps, not the sabats that we are complaining about. You haven't seen them campaign year in, year out for "change". Only for that "change" to mean parties in D2 and "training" sessions abroad.
    Yes, but the reps don't get hardly anything, and they put in a lot of time for nothing - to help their peers. Most of these guys have done stints as reps (I presume), and are now taking a full year of their own education off in most cases. . . somehow I doubt they're in it for the cash when on graduation, most of them will take jobs, here or abroad, that will pay much higher per year. . .

Class reps are as I said earlier almost always a positive as they represent their class. However, the sabbats are getting well paid (particularly since they are just dícking around UCD for a year) and do very little. Whatever they do after they graduation is irrelevant. The SU is notoriously a clique and extremely difficult to break into for anybody that views it differently.

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭brownlad

Ah, come on now, they're probably getting pittance compared to the work they put in. . .

And what the hells a "Sabat"?

i think your partially correct as regards to the wages...some of them do not deserve a dime because they do squat...but the one person who i think actually does give a crap is rachael breslin...that girl works like a machine...she is always so nice all the time ...and you can nearly tell that the job has taken its toll on the poor girl just by looking at her like!... a Mon Avis she is the hardest worker in the ucd su by a long shot in comparison to all the others !

p.s i would ;)

L wrote: »
    Universal free fees favour those who are well off, not those who would have trouble affording college if fees were reintroduced. I really wish this was explained to people more often.

Proper grant schemes are the correct way to deal with ensuring everyone gets a crack at college because they mean money goes where it's needed rather than being 'equally' distributed to those who need it and those who do not.

Seriously, people seem to think the government magically gets the money for the cost of 'free fees' out of thin air.

Actually there has been huge rows on here about that. I support your view and always try to back it up with evidence. Others don't and will never change their opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

I love how quiet Brendan Lacey has gone :D

BX 19 wrote: »
    I love how quiet Brendan Lacey has gone :D

UCD SU wants YOUR input...just don't expect us to listen or act on any of it :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭beardedmaster

brownlad wrote: »
    p.s i would ;)

Amen brother.

Poor girl, 95% of the thread is giving out about the SU and the other 5% is people saying they want to give her one. Lets not move into the weird zone and creep her out any more!

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭beardedmaster

Hahah, ah she's really nice though, and ridiculously hardworking. She just happens to also be really pretty.

To be honest I'm not sure if I can even go to the march or not, it depends if things I'd miss are rescheduled or not.

EDIT: Thought this was a thread about the march.. woops... nevermind

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Brendan Lacey

Sorry guys, I haven't gone quiet I just didnt intend to have an active discussion here, was more advertising the opening of submissions for Constitutional review. There are some really interesting thoughts in the above passages and I encourage you all to put them into writing (email as it were) to the review process. I can promise you we are looking to completely rebuild the Union this year, from the financial overhaul that began at the start of the year right through to changing to constitution at the end of this year to a far more fit for purpose document and NO input will go unread nor without consideration.

So i urge you, make a submission or two to constitution@ucdsu.ie!

Beir Bua,

Lacey

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

This is a discussion forum, and I personally find using it as a spam-board to encourage input to the SU annoying. To be honest, the SU would do well to read the threads in this forum going right back from 2011 to the beginning. Time and time again, they prove themselves to be irrelevant and out of touch with the general student body.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

Wait, UCDSU still exists?

UCDSU reminds me of a gang of generals in WW1.

"Student?"

"Yes, these pesky students again, giving out about us again."

"Oh, just throw them a pack of condoms to keep them happy."

Inner Party - UCDSU Sabbats/President/Vice-Presidents
    Outer Party - Class Reps
    Proles - Rest of the student body

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

I can promise you we are looking to completely rebuild the Union this year

People on boards.ie are faaarrr to cynical for that Lacey, you're going to have to try harder.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Riveta

I suppose my main issue with the SU is the fact that after spending five years in UCD I'm still not quite sure what purpose they actually serve. I won't harp on about what's been already said in regards to the "cliques" the "inner circle" rhetoric, but I will say that the vast majority of UCD students have very, very little to do with the SU.

It just seems to be wholly irrelevant and inaccessible to most and very advantageous and "comfy" for a few. I'm also of the impression that many of the people in the upper echelons are merely there to kick-start some kind of political career outside of college.

I did serve as a class rep in first year and attended a few of SU meetings in the student centre and found it be quite alienating, lots of groups and in-jokes and the likes. I will add that I stopped going so maybe I lost out on getting to know anyone properly.

I can see a place for class reps to speak for people when it comes to particular courses and issues that may arise. They also serve a very important role in organising social events for classes too. It's the greater SU that seems pointless!

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Bluefox21

Don't really understand what a new constitution will achieve to be honest? Didn't even know we had one in the first place and I'm here four years!

Fair play for coming on though and looking for suggestions. You'll always be fighting a losing battle however with anyone who has been in UCD for over 2 years and not been in the Union clique (most of boards members :p).

For the head of the entire students union of Ireland to be ranked 47th amongst the most influential figures in Irish education says a huge amount and reflects the general feeling about the Union.

http://www.collegetribune.ie/index.php/2011/10/redmond-barely-makes-rankings/

Unfortunately, we've been fed the same bullsh*t year on year now which, although not your fault, does make your job that extra bit more challenging.

Going to try keep and open mind.

Good luck!

:D

Advertisement