Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ridiculously slow download times (UPC)

• 24-10-2011 6:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭

it's been happening for the last month or so,during the day if i try to download say a movie for example it's telling me it's going to take more than 12 hours.if i try to download the same movie early in the morning (6am) it'll only take about 10-15 mins.:confused:
    is anyone else having this problem?
    just did a speedtest and got this result.online gaming is not a problem,neither is watching live streams,just seems to be downloads i'm having problems with.
    1553004496.png

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Who are you downloading from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Discussion of pirating copyright material will get your thread deleted and user banned, so be very careful before continuing with this line of posting.

Speed tests, as outlined in the UPC mega thread should be done first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

jor el wrote: »
    Discussion of pirating copyright material will get your thread deleted and user banned, so be very careful before continuing with this line of posting.

Speed tests, as outlined in the UPC mega thread should be done first.

Good point. Well, as I outlined in another thread UPC connections to Asian Filehosters are bandwidth throttled. If you use a program like jdownloader, open a fairly large amount of connections and downloads at once you can produce reasonable speeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭AH92

What Upc broadband package do you have?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Are you using wireless connection or do you have a network cable connected between your computer and UPC "modem".

If you are wireless, try wired first. Anything else won't give you any answers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭ooter

i'm using a wired connection.
    i'm currently downloading an album (640 mb) and there's 1 hour and 15 mins remaining..:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭AH92

Its more and likely the server you are using! Try downloading a file from microsoft.com and see if the speed increases!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,484 ✭✭✭Nollog

UPC throttle some of the bigger networks like OVH.
    I'm on 100mbit and between 8am and 2am I max out at 1MB/s, the rest of the time full 100mbit.

Advertisement