Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying ash for hurleys

Options
  • 24-10-2011 6:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭

recently after being made unemployed, i am thinking of going into hurley making ( more of past time then profit making) to keep me going for a couple of years.

does any body know where i can get ask hurley planks around the leinster area?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Spacedog

The best hurls are made from the root-wood of the ash tree, with a curved grain that follows the shape of the finished hurl.

There's an old episode of Hands bangin' about the torrent sites (with a kickass retro .nfo file) all about hurl making in the old stylee yo!

SD

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭timex711

thanks spacedog, could you tell me where to find "hands bangin" on the internet. cant find it

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

timex711 wrote: »
    recently after being made unemployed, i am thinking of going into hurley making ( more of past time then profit making) to keep me going for a couple of years.

does any body know where i can get ask hurley planks around the leinster area?
    Pat Staunton in Glenealy, Co. Wicklow should be able to help you out.
    I've pm'd his number

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Here is that episode of Hands,best of luck with the hurley making

http://vimeo.com/7547043

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,328 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

I love those old programs and it's great to see you want to carry on the old tradition of building them.:) You will find it hard to make a fortune out of hand crafting them as you know but if you enjoy doing it, no better way to spend your time and maybe you will find a market on ebay selling to all the Irish around the world who may not of held one since they were a kid or just want to hang it on the wall as a conversation piece.
    Best of luck with it and be sure to put up a photo of your first one :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

I heard recently somewhere that most hurley Ash is imported from Eastern Europe !?

Advertisement