Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Truth about Ireland's Puppy farms - tomoro @ 10pm TV3

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 318 ✭✭chris139ryan

im going to watch it but no doubt that is going to be one sad show

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭deadlast

Fyi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 572 ✭✭✭K.C

Really don't wanna see this but you can't bury your head in the sand. Won't be nice viewing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Justask

Sorry but i goin to bury my head in the sand. I cant watch that :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 572 ✭✭✭K.C

Justask wrote: »
    Sorry but i goin to bury my head in the sand. I cant watch that :mad:

I understand. Watching it now. Not very nice. So sad. I'm gonna give my cocker a hug and treat now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Justask

K.C wrote: »
    I understand. Watching it now. Not very nice. So sad. I'm gonna give my cocker a hug and treat now.

My cocker is sitting by the fire and wont get up for a treat lol

No way could I watch it far to upsetting, but that doesnt mean i ignore it goes on

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭tazwaz

i'm watching it and am horrified.. i'm sure the girl from the blue cross just said that there's 40 dogs a day being pts in the pounds :eek: .. oh my god thats horiffic!!
    i'm not suprised though cause some people do see their dogs as disposable..i was on a rescues facebook site one day, there were 2 dogs in the pound and a guy came forward to say they were his and he'd collect them in 4 days time, i was v suprised he was going to leave them there for that long and told him that, he really gave out to me for judging him etc..suprise suprise he never collected them :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Id seen quite a lot of what was shown through the Animal A and E programmes but the advice given in this programme was excellent i have to say. For the love of god we really had (and still do) have a ridiculously idiotic government who fail to see the importance of this legislation.

The government are not gaining financially from sustaining these "puppy farm" so im struggling to see whats so difficult for them to legislate. Animal welfare groups, dog owners, animal lovers in general are crying out for this. Listen Minister Hogan would you!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭The Paws

I missed the show - I know it is terrible but want to see it - any links? thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

The Paws wrote: »
    I missed the show - I know it is terrible but want to see it - any links? thanks
    http://tv3.ie/3player/show/243/0/0/Animal-A%26E

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

They said at the start that Ireland was not the animal loving nation that it was believed to be and reveal 2 puppy farms. At least give credit to the many animal owners that look after their animals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭The Paws

Thanks anniehoo - will look later (:()

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭VenusPlays

I'm so upset after watching this. Email to Hogan tomorrow!!! Without question.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

They said at the start that Ireland was not the animal loving nation that it was believed to be and reveal 2 puppy farms. At least give credit to the many animal owners that look after their animals.

In fairness, Sh1tstirrer, it is exceedingly difficult to film inside a puppy farm. Puppy farmers won't let tv crews in. There was a reasonable amount of footage from various puppy farm raids on tonight's show from 2004 (and there were a few, one after the other, in that year, which provoked this whole debate, but due to our inadequate legislation the number of raids is fairly small, and a number can't be shown until the case has been through the courts.
    RTE however, have extensive footage from puppy farm raids. You may remember Ear To The Ground filmed in several puppy farms only last year.
    In any case, the presenter did, in fact, say that most dog owners are caring (from my own experience, i personally don't agree). This should not stop a program being aired that exposes the urine-soaked underbelly of dog breeding in Ireland.
    Aside from that, as someone directly involved in the rescue "industry", I'm afraid that although there are many in Ireland who do care for their dogs, there are a hell of a lot who don't. There are many good owners here on this forum for example, who naively, perhaps unwittingly bought their dogs from places just like those on tonight's show via online ads... They mind their dogs well, but they still supported the puppy farmers, and the inherent profiteering, cruelty and neglect.
    Then there are the people who just don't care at any level. I'm afraid, whether you know it or not, there are a lot of these in Ireland. I deal with them every damn day, as do all rescue groups.
    Anything which raises awareness is good in my book, there's no point in fooling ourselves that all is rosey when the reality is far, far from it.

There was a rumour a few months ago that the commencement order for the dog breeding Act would be signed when the new Greyhounds Bill is ready to be enacted. Whenever that'll be. But the latter was meant to be almost ready back then.
    Personally, I wouldn't be pinning too much on this Dog breeding Act when/if it is enacted. I think it's a horrible piece of legislation which effectively legalises puppy farming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭softmee

You don't really need to watch this to see what is going on.
    It is enough to visit donedeal.ie and its all clear whats going on.
    Every time I visit this site I am really upset and can't believe its legal.

(this video is not working by the way)

Puppy farms exist because people buy dogs from them and I think some kind of campaign would help. People are just not aware of whats going on. They want new dog and they go to donedeal -find first one and buy.

Breeding like this or any kind without certification or pedigree should be illegal :

<snip>

How this all can be legal???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

I got my pup from DoneDeal. I'm not sure if he was from a puppy farm as I couldn't find the guys house and arranged to meet him at shops near his home.

Although he did have the pups advertised as free, he was asking for 50 for the black and tan pups.

He met me with two black and tan pups, his two kids holding one each. They didn't really seem to want me to take them and both looked happy and clean.

He previously sent me a picture of the mother she seemed happy and also the pictures of the puppys looked like they were playing happily out doors.

I had to ring him to find out what injections he had got about a week later and he answered the phone, asked me how the dog was doing etc...

Although looking back at it now, I really wouldn't know if he was a real seller or a puppy farmer.

I can't understand why people would breed animals in such conditions if your going to breed them do it right. More Irish greed at it's finest and will they just sign the bloody document into law it's ready to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

msg11 wrote: »
    I got my pup from DoneDeal. I'm not sure if he was from a puppy farm as I couldn't find the guys house and arranged to meet him at shops near his home.

Although he did have the pups advertised as free, he was asking for 50 for the black and tan pups.

He met me with two black and tan pups, his two kids holding one each. They didn't really seem to want me to take them and both looked happy and clean.

He previously sent me a picture of the mother she seemed happy and also the pictures of the puppys looked like they were playing happily out doors.

I had to ring him to find out what injections he had got about a week later and he answered the phone, asked me how the dog was doing etc...

Although looking back at it now, I really wouldn't know if he was a real seller or a puppy farmer.

I can't understand why people would breed animals in such conditions if your going to breed them do it right. More Irish greed at it's finest and will they just sign the bloody document into law it's ready to go.

I think a breeder that is out for the very best for the breed and his animals would never hand over living creatures to someone without checking where they were going?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Wisco

As someone who works in the veterinary industry, I can tell you that trying to educate future (or current) dog/puppy owners is often as useful as banging your head against a wall. People just don't want to hear it- they want their puppy now! They don't want to do a bit of research into the breeder or that dog's line or potential problems. Having said that, they'll splash out a few hundred to buy the dog, but then are reluctant to pay for proper care when it becomes ill or manifests it's inherited disorders. I can only hope that people will feel outraged enough by this program to harrass their representatives to actually DO something.
    I'm not saying there are no good owners out there- many boardsies have demonstrated they will do anything for their dogs and are quite educated about where a good place to get a dog is and how important health care and welfare are. Unfortunately, in my opinion, this type of pet owner is the minority.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Dlimk

Ah the old "meet in the car park" trick. Undoubtedly a puppy farmer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

softmee wrote: »
    You don't really need to watch this to see what is going on.
    It is enough to visit donedeal.ie and its all clear whats going on.
    Every time I visit this site I am really upset and can't believe its legal.

(this video is not working by the way)

Puppy farms exist because people buy dogs from them and I think some kind of campaign would help. People are just not aware of whats going on. They want new dog and they go to donedeal -find first one and buy.

Breeding like this or any kind without certification or pedigree should be illegal :

<snip>

How this all can be legal???

Pedigree means nothing, puppy farmers sell IKC registered dogs with pedigrees. All a pedigree means is that you have some paperwork saying who the parents supposedly are - note I didn't say it shows who the parents are, there are no checks done by the IKC or any kennel club around the world I don't think (but could be wrong on that) to prove that the dogs named on the papers actually are the parents of the pups. Volume breeders may not always know who the sire is, as the bitch may have just been left in with a load of males while in season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭marley123

Please email or write to Minister Phil Hogan asking him to sign the Commencement Order for the Dog Breeding Establishment Act.

His email address is phil.hogan@oireachtas.ie or minister@environ.ie
    and his postal address is 'Dept of the Environment, Customs House, Dublin 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

Wisco wrote: »
    As someone who works in the veterinary industry, I can tell you that trying to educate future (or current) dog/puppy owners is often as useful as banging your head against a wall. People just don't want to hear it- they want their puppy now! They don't want to do a bit of research into the breeder or that dog's line or potential problems. Having said that, they'll splash out a few hundred to buy the dog, but then are reluctant to pay for proper care when it becomes ill or manifests it's inherited disorders. I can only hope that people will feel outraged enough by this program to harrass their representatives to actually DO something.
    I'm not saying there are no good owners out there- many boardsies have demonstrated they will do anything for their dogs and are quite educated about where a good place to get a dog is and how important health care and welfare are. Unfortunately, in my opinion, this type of pet owner is the minority.

You know I think you're spot on there, it amazes me people will pay hundreds for a pedigree without any research or planning, just because they're the latest fashionable breed and yet, as you say, any medical problems or further money needing spending, forget it. I honestly feel that people who care about their dogs in this country are in the minority, it's a sad reflection of our society that dogs are treated as disposable items alongside the latest nintendo or playstation game, when the novelty has worn off, the dog gets discarded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Absolutely a puppy farmer!! Why couldnt he give directions to his house instead?? When will people ever learn and stop funding these horrible people.
    Meeting in a car park, no vaccination certs and so on, classic signs of a puppy farmer!!
    It really maddens me that people support these so called breeders. If there wasnt a demand for the puppies in the first place then these people wouldnt be breeding so much!!

ISDW wrote: »
    Pedigree means nothing, puppy farmers sell IKC registered dogs with pedigrees. All a pedigree means is that you have some paperwork saying who the parents supposedly are - note I didn't say it shows who the parents are, there are no checks done by the IKC or any kennel club around the world I don't think (but could be wrong on that) to prove that the dogs named on the papers actually are the parents of the pups. Volume breeders may not always know who the sire is, as the bitch may have just been left in with a load of males while in season.

This is not the way it is in Poland. If you buy pedigree dog there you can be sure its well treated.

_and why are all my donedeal links deleted???? Do you protect puppy farms boards????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

You arent allowed to give links to donedeal on boards, they have it in their rules on the main animal & pets page.

Of course they dont protect puppy farmers :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭falabo

well this is a politician response. they claim not to support puppy farms but yet they delete links to donedeal ads...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

If ye can stop the speculation please -- we don't allow links to ANY animal adverts, not just donedeal, it just happens to be a popular one for posters.
    If you have an issue with an ad on another website, report it and complain to that website. If you want to take it further, you need to take it up with the authorities, Boards.ie does not have control over other websites.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

I agree alot more animal lovers and dog lovers in Ireland than the latter of this show.And it is disgraceful they would say that for a minority.
    They should have said there is alot of uneducated people who want a dog now and dont consider it could be puppy farmers who treat the dogs badly.As they themselves cant imagine people can do that.
    I hate these shows they blame everyone,when the only people at fault are the ones who puppy farm and the law for not changing it so they can take the animals immediately and ban those people from ever having any kind of animal again.
    To the show could not watch makes me sick and i cant do anything about it.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭VenusPlays

Of course there are plenty of animal lovers in Ireland. The programme is not about them! It's a message to them! To make everyone who loves animals more aware of the truth about puppy farms and to encourage them to take the time so send an email or speak to a politician and do something to get this current situation changed.

I've sent my email this morning. For anyone who wants to do the same there is even a ready-made downloadable email on the DSPCA website. Couldn't be easier to make your voice heard.

• Advertisement

<SNIP>

-picture coming from ..... site :

"Breeding Pair of yorkshire terriers for sale"
    "female €250, male €200 or ideally would like both to go together for €400"

-how they can advertise something like this on online and nobody does nothing about it?

Advertisement