Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Truth about Ireland's Puppy farms - tomoro @ 10pm TV3

124»

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,793 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Be under no illusion: Ireland as a country ranks embarrassingly poorly in terms of animal welfare.

The number of dogs and cats euthanised in the small country is truly sickening. Puppy farms - deplorable as they are - are just another manifestation of the fecklessness, greed and cruelty that is sadly is all too widespread in Ireland.

Ireland has a long, long, long way to go until it approaches norms in terms of animal welfare for a developed country. In fact, the time to make a major push for politicians to do something about aminal welfare is long overdue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,900 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

DBB wrote: »
    There was a rumour a few months ago that the commencement order for the dog breeding Act would be signed when the new Greyhounds Bill is ready to be enacted. Whenever that'll be. But the latter was meant to be almost ready back then.
    Personally, I wouldn't be pinning too much on this Dog breeding Act when/if it is enacted. I think it's a horrible piece of legislation which effectively legalises puppy farming.

Phil Hogan has told me personally & written on his facebook page that the DBEB will not be signed until the new Greyhound Bill is enacted.

http://www.facebook.com/PhilHoganTD/posts/258177364228475

I agree that the DBEB will do very little to prevent or regulate puppy farming - the LA's have no money to enforce it.

By the way the DBEB contains amendments to increase dog license fees including a big increase in the cost of a general license. This will increase the costs for rescues.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Discodog wrote: »
    I agree that the DBEB will do very little to prevent or regulate puppy farming - the LA's have no money to enforce it.

Thanks for that Discodog, and welcome back:D
    Not only will enforcement be a problem, but the legislation only applies to breeders who keep more than 6 bitches with breeding potential.
    The problem is, 6 is quite a lot of bitches, obviously not from a huge puppy farmer perspective, but the reality is that I believe a very large number of poorly bred/internet dogs are bred in premises with less than 6 breeding bitches. This is what Back Yard Breeding is all about... a reasonably small number of dogs producing enough pups to make a tidy little profit.
    Five breeding females, producing 2 litters each a year, with for argument's sake 4 pups per litter. That's 40 pups (probably more) at €300 a pup. Which is a nice tidy €12,000 a year:eek: And not one of these pups and not one of their mothers is protected by the new legislation, and their breeders can keep them in whatever conditions they want.
    I would go so far to say that these establishments are so plentiful that they at least match the number of pups being produced in our puppy farms. And yet, they can continue to operate unlicenced and unchecked.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,900 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Thanks DBB.

The DBEB was always viewed as a silly distraction by the other political parties & only came about as part of the program for government discussions with the Greens. So FG do not see it as a priority. In fact I suspect that, if they implement it, they will do so quietly. Many FG TD's criticised the Greens for being more concerned about animals than the economy.

As usual Ireland is taking totally the wrong approach. We don't need a Dog Breeding Bill or a Greyhound Welfare Bill. The whole lot should be covered by a proper Animal Welfare Bill that sets out the standards by which all animals should be kept irrespective of their species, breed or purpose.

But law is pointless without enforcement. During the TV3 program we saw dogs being seized by the ISPCA. This was under the old 1911 Protection of Animals Act which is still a good piece of legislation. I have been critical of the ISPCA in the past but I have a lot of respect for Conor Dowling, who featured in the program. The ISPCA simply do not have the money to prosecute in the way that the RSPCA would - they only have 5 Inspectors.

In any cruelty/neglect prosecution Veterinary evidence is critical. During the Ear to the Ground feature on Puppy Farms a "farmer" comments that his Vet agrees that the dogs do not need exercise:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akKoolN44ZE&feature=email&email=comment_received

We shouldn't need new law. It should be a simple matter where the SPCA call in a Vet who decides if the animals are being subjected to cruelty or neglect. But I have been told that many Vets will not testify.
    JupiterKid wrote: »
    In fact, the time to make a major push for politicians to do something about aminal welfare is long overdue.

True but they do not see it as a vote winner. I have never seen a party feature animal welfare in a manifesto, for example like Blair did in the UK with Fox hunting. Good people have tried to unite the welfare community & give a voice to animals in legislation but it is a seemingly impossible & thankless task.

After many years in the UK I am convinced that there is a fundamental difference in the way that the majority of Irish people view animals compared to the British. We can argue that some of it is down to education, for example some people really believe that their dog is happier wandering the streets. But there is a deep underlying difference.

In Ireland any animal welfare law will be subjected to ridicule by some. This would never happen in the UK where the majority demand better welfare law.

The recession & the lack of prosecutions will mean an increase in puppy farming - there are already rumours of crime gangs moving in on the business. The increased supply & reduction in demand will see prices fall so the poor dogs face even worse conditions.

I applaud TV3 for making the program.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Ireland has a long, long, long way to go until it approaches norms in terms of animal welfare for a developed country. In fact, the time to make a major push for politicians to do something about aminal welfare is long overdue.

I totally agree, but when the Green Party even mentioned it most of the country called them 'head bangers'. And the same would be today regardless of what Party tried to bring this to the fore and regardless what state the economy is.

When a supposedly civilised country allows you buy a puppy from all kinds of everything website or the Buy & Sell etc when the country is coming down with unwanted dogs abandoned in animal shelters I think that sums up the retarded 'Irish' attitude towards animal welfare.

• Advertisement
Advertisement