Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ULSU Spar Shop

Options
  • 24-10-2011 6:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭

What do people think ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

I have noticed that the prices have gone up since the start of the year. Wedges were €1.60 and now they are €1.70.

Also first.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Polar Ice

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

for a shop "allegedly" half a million in debt, they sure know how to charge,
    4:90 i was charged for a tiny ass orange juice and a bad ass cheap meatless fatty bacon sandwich with that dirty cheap ass ketchup, rip off ireland is alive and well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭demolitionman

shit isnt it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

Half a million in debt? They must be charged an unbelievable amount of rent if they can't make a profit on the huge amount of business they receive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

Was with two friends today and they were charged the price of a regular roll for a small hot chicken roll :rolleyes:

I find the deli staff VERY rude.

Badly laid out.

They try to mask their ridiculous prices with a few promotions (which often have obscene terms and conditions :rolleyes:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Agreed with the promotion. They're so rigid on the T&C's. Went to get a sausage roll and wedges. Poster said it was applicable with Fanta/7UP as well as Coke. They're the same price. Apparently it wasn't though.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭kflynn

Thats just the way the tills are set up, if you scan a roll and 7up when the deal is with coke the till simply wont process it!

Deli staff are restricted in what they can do i.e only two slices of ham per roll etc....crazy stuff!

Also I cant see where money went either, most front line staff are part time, on minimum wage and from what I know hired in September fired in December, Hired in February and fired again in the summer to make sure they cant go for a rise.

Overtime is generally not given so I have no clue how it happened, although it would of helped of they had listened to staff ideas for more business!

kflynn wrote: »
    Deli staff are restricted in what they can do i.e only two slices of ham per roll etc....crazy stuff!

Doesn't mean they have to be rude and unfriendly though.

I'd rather pay the extra 10/20c and get my roll with a smile and garlic mayo that doesn't burn over in the Stables.

No i agree Customer service is most important in any business! But people have bad days so maybe thats it?! Not making excuses here but some students werent always the nicest either! :o

Anyway spar in general, sure what can you say, dont think we have a lot of influence on what goes on there!

• Advertisement

No i agree Customer service is most important in any business! But people have bad days so maybe thats it?! Not making excuses here but some students werent always the nicest either! :o

Anyway spar in general, sure what can you say, dont think we have a lot of influence on what goes on there!

Spar don't pay the staff's wages, the customers do. Anyone who works with the public knows you leave your bad moods at the door.

/ has worked in Sales since 16 :p

see your point. I have worked in a pub/shop also for a long time, I would be able to handle it but some students are so rude its incredible..

Like i said see your point and if you have an issue maybe go to management?!

see your point. I have worked in a pub/shop also for a long time, I would be able to handle it but some students are so rude its incredible..

Like i said see your point and if you have an issue maybe go to management?!

I'm voting with my feet and my money.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Polar Ice

Cydoniac wrote: »
    Agreed with the promotion. They're so rigid on the T&C's. Went to get a sausage roll and wedges. Poster said it was applicable with Fanta/7UP as well as Coke. They're the same price. Apparently it wasn't though.

Really? Those are normally promotions designed (in part by) by either Coca-Cola or their bottlers (hence the selection you are offered). It would be strange for the shop to reject the offer for one coca-cola project but not another

Mmhmm, that's what I thought too. They seemed pretty sure, even when I pointed out that it clearly said "Also applies to..."

Probably just wasnt entered into the system correctly, doubt its a scam....also if your looking for deals call into the deli around closing time....nice food that would only be going in the bin! (not sure if that is strictly allowed but.....)

...do you now/have you ever worked in the shop?

I used to!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Dromroe shop FTW! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

Never had a problem with the deli staff there. They make damn good wraps too.

Prices on some stuff can be very good, managed to get 10 pittas for 1.49 for lunch, went down a treat! Prices on other stuff, not so much, but then I work in a supermarket so I'm used to seeing cheaper prices.

The new deli stand is a good idea now, come to think of it.

I'd also suspect the new lay-out has brought up sales a bit, lots of space and impulse buy stands.

Queues are moving faster too, especially at lunchtime.

Now if only people would clean up after themselves at the tables outside... Some of us must've been raised in barns :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Sometimes the deli staff are grand when they actually listen to what you ask for.

Last week i went in there at 5 o clock for a roll, one of the older women working there served me. I asked for a large spicy chicken roll. she took out the chicken and cut into 3 slices:mad:
    she then went and got a roll asked did i want butter or mayo. I said yes both, so she cuts the roll and then looks up and asks if i want butter or mayo:confused: and i answer again and she just puts mayo in it. then she asked if i want plain or spicey chicken. :rolleyes: i pointed out that she cut my chicken already. so she dumps it into the roll and gives it to me

off i went to the counter with my roll and can and the girl says "you cant get the deal with that you know" was like why its just chicken. the woman put the wrong sticker on the roll. I told her i wasnt paying full for it and it was a mistake she gave it to me anyway weather or not she believed me.
    The woman at the deli must have been having some day.

I hate when they dont cut the chicken up into thin slices.

Also anyone who makes a roll and puts the ketchup on the outside of all the stuff shouldnt work in a deli. messiest thing ever.

\rant

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Nockz

The staff have always been friendly to me... I try not to go through it all without at least attempting to talk or tell a terrible joke. They're not machines after all.

One fairly new staff there cut the chicken up and put it in the roll. Get this, upon finding out I want ketchup, she takes the chicken back out and then puts the ketchup on, before putting the chicken back in. It took a lot not to ask her to marry me right there and then.

Tomatoes were an odd thing to have specified for that roll deal a while ago but I soldiered through the soggy mess that is for value's sake :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Nockz wrote: »
    The staff have always been friendly to me... I try not to go through it all without at least attempting to talk or tell a terrible joke. They're not machines after all.

One fairly new staff there cut the chicken up and put it in the roll. Get this, upon finding out I want ketchup, she takes the chicken back out and then puts the ketchup on, before putting the chicken back in. It took a lot not to ask her to marry me right there and then.

Tomatoes were an odd thing to have specified for that roll deal a while ago but I soldiered through the soggy mess that is for value's sake :p

she's a keeper:eek::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Jikashi

What annoys me about the meal deal is the one for a chicken baguette and can of coke for €3.50. Went for months getting what combination of salads I wanted then one day they say "sorry only lettuce and/or tomato qualify for the deal, no other salads. Why? It was established a long while ago that you got charged a tiny bit extra for cheese but why are the other toppings like onion, sweetcorn, etc separated too, and after months of any salad combo working. Now the total price comes to like a fiver.

Also, has anyone else been served by the youger woman at the deli who clearly does not want to be there? She's been there for well over a year and can't make a roll to save her life, never listens to what you ask for, gives you dirty looks if you have to correct her, and when she's done lobs the roll or wedges on top of the glass and walks off instead of handing it to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

Jikashi wrote: »
    What annoys me about the meal deal is the one for a chicken baguette and can of coke for €3.50. Went for months getting what combination of salads I wanted then one day they say "sorry only lettuce and/or tomato qualify for the deal, no other salads. Why? It was established a long while ago that you got charged a tiny bit extra for cheese but why are the other toppings like onion, sweetcorn, etc separated too, and after months of any salad combo working. Now the total price comes to like a fiver.

Also, has anyone else been served by the youger woman at the deli who clearly does not want to be there? She's been there for well over a year and can't make a roll to save her life, never listens to what you a
    sk for, gives you dirty looks if you have to correct her, and when she's done lobs the roll or wedges on top of the glass and walks off instead of handing it to you.
    TL DR
    The farmers market is a good place this year for lunch
    Also what is with the prices of a yop down there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

There was a lad in cappavilla last year, not the rugby jersey wearing lad, the other, who was the rudest person I've ever come across in my entire life. Dirty mannered little git.

Is it these spar shops that are making a major loss Derek Davis had to bail out with C&S money?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

There was a lad in cappavilla last year, not the rugby jersey wearing lad, the other, who was the rudest person I've ever come across in my entire life. Dirty mannered little git.

Is it these spar shops that are making a major loss Derek Davis had to bail out with C&S money?

That made me smile. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭PROGRAM_IX

Derek Davis. He's a maverick president who never plays by the rules. But dammit he gets RESULTS!

On-topic: I know the girl Jikashi's talking about. Quite glad I don't get sandwiches in there any more, she was a deterrent at the time. It was kind of a hit-or-miss thing for me anyway, because all I wanted was a cheese sandwich. Lame, I know, but whatever. Every single time they'd look askance at me, which was grand, but I'd be charged between €1 and €3.50 for two slices of bread and some grated cheese! I mean really. I'd have paid €1.50 happily enough every day, but it was a total lottery because a 'sandwich' was €3.50 or so. Given the tiny order, it would often be marked as sausage rolls by the nicer deli workers, but it wasn't worth the hassle in the end. Small thing, but it's the same reason I stopped going to Subway - they can't afford to charge you much less for salad sandwiches than meat ones.

That seems an awfully harsh wall of text on something that doesn't really bother me. Whoops. In fairness, I love the shop and couldn't do without it. Like everything, it's got its problems, but it's a badly needed service and I'm more than prepared to deal with bizarre pricing at times. Gutted about the wedges price hike though. XD

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭skeleton_boy

Are you guys for real? How in the name of God can that Spar shop be in debt with the amount of customers that go through there each day?? :confused: (Without trying to sound like an old man.) No wonder the country's ****ed

• Advertisement

There's always Gleeson's Spar if you still want your €1 wedges. At least they should still have that pricing. Not too far of a walk.

On a side note I love the market every Tuesday. Great variety of food, never got to try out sushi before!

Advertisement