Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ULSU Spar Shop

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Agent_99 wrote: »
    a lot more cheerful that the "small lady of advancing years" that was there last year and over the summer she was a dour 'ol b***h.

She is actually ok. Would crack an odd funny comment at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Kiyomumizu

Its the female manager during the day thats the problem. I mean students can be rude. But just from different experiences from living abroad the least they could do is say thanks. She should be setting an example to her staff.

You don't talk on your mobile while serving customers or keep customers waiting while you go off and do something un-important.

Kiyomumizu wrote: »

The female "manager" who who you'll know when you get in there is so rude. No greeting, no response of thank you. She doesn't care in the slightest to keep a string of customers waiting.

Thats true. I go in there most days to buy a coffee. If she is serving me I just give her the money, say thanks and move on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 John_Smith123

Jester252 wrote: »
    And there people in this thread bitching about the staff being rude
    maybe if the rude students were nice they would be nice

Staff -> Being Paid
    Students -> Paying Staff Wages

Go into the Scholars next door, staffed with plenty of students (on the same wage as the shop staff) and get a nice wrap/roll or hot dinner for just a little more money and a whole **** load more respect and manners.. yes even from that manager lad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 BurningBridges

For the most part the shop is grand. I like the offers near the tills because who doesn't like picking up a few bars of chocolate for only an extra euro.

My only problem with the shop lies in the deli.

There is one woman ( one of the younger ones ) who works in the deli and by god, she makes the worst hot chicken rolls ever. I didn't think it was possible for someone to ruin a hot chicken roll but she sure showed me. Giving the smallest portions of anything you ask for and then just lobbing it up on the counter instead of handing it to you ???

I now wait until she is serving someone else before going near the deli in the hope of not getting her. The rest of the staff are grand and will serve you with a smile, she on the other hand wont.

Also what's the can of coke and chicken roll offer ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

Staff -> Being Paid

Go into the Scholars next door, staffed with plenty of students (on the same wage as the shop staff) and get a nice wrap/roll or hot dinner for just a little more money and a whole **** load more respect and manners.. yes even from that manager lad.

:pac::pac::pac::pac:
    The meaner he is, the more he likes you. Nobody else cares that much if you don't have veggies with your dinner but he does!

Always my first choice, the only place I feel more at home is in my own living room!

This was brought up in a previous thread, but I'll bring it up again as it is appropriate...

How about playing ULFM in the shops to help boost campus awareness?

And how about ULFM advertising offers available in the shops?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

My answer in the other thread was the standard of radio play is not high enough to warrant campus wide use. It's not fair to subject people to such awful music and presenting.

I find it ironic that on one hand people are complaining about spam emails which are the least intrusive thing on the planet and on the other hand campaigning to be aurally abused by ulfm with ads.

Jesus wept.

My answer in the other thread was the standard of radio play is not high enough to warrant campus wide use. It's not fair to subject people to such awful music and presenting.

I find it ironic that on one hand people are complaining about spam emails which are the least intrusive thing on the planet and on the other hand campaigning to be aurally abused by ulfm with ads.

Jesus wept.

Firstly, while I'm not saying I don't agree with you.. It's entirely your opinion regarding the standard of radio play. It was also pointed out to you in that thread that the increase in listenership and exposure of the station would drive better quality programming.

You say aurally abused, I say informed. But whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭kflynn

Staff -> Being Paid

Sorry but I dont believe you can walk into any shop with that attitude......3 euro for a roll pays for overheads and wages and your 3 euro does not mean they have to put up with bad manners!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

Firstly, while I'm not saying I don't agree with you.. It's entirely your opinion regarding the standard of radio play. It was also pointed out to you in that thread that the increase in listenership and exposure of the station would drive better quality programming.

You say aurally abused, I say informed. But whatever.

The quality of the radio production and presentation is about 1/100th the quality of local radio. It's dire.

How would higher exposure drive quality programming? Would people pull up their socks if they knew more than 10 people were listening to them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

The quality of the radio production and presentation is about 1/100th the quality of local radio. It's dire.

How would higher exposure drive quality programming? Would people pull up their socks if they knew more than 10 people were listening to them?
    There are currently plans put in place that are going to raise the standard of the radio show in the next few weeks. I do also think if people had a larger audience they would make the effort to keep those listeners and try attract more. The problem is not as bad as you say it is though.

kflynn wrote: »
    Sorry but I dont believe you can walk into any shop with that attitude......3 euro for a roll pays for overheads and wages and your 3 euro does not mean they have to put up with bad manners!

That argument only works if the deli staff work on a percentage of sales. Hourly rate negates any relevance in the price of the roll.

The rolls could be sold at a profit or a loss to the owner(s) of the business, the staff are being paid to do the job.

Are you suggesting that someone with bad manners spending 10euro at the deli counter should be tolerated?

Lots and lots of students envy those workers for having regular income.

If students have such bad manners why is it not all of the staff who are so cold and uncaring? I was a regular to that deli for more years than I'd like to admit and it was always the same staff who were nice and the same who weren't. I would consider myself to have above average (in UL standards at least) manners and would always try to engage conversation, yet these actions did little to improve relations with those who just didn't seem to want to be friendly.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭kflynn

That argument only works if the deli staff work on a percentage of sales. Hourly rate negates any relevance in the price of the roll.

The rolls could be sold at a profit or a loss to the owner(s) of the business, the staff are being paid to do the job.

Are you suggesting that someone with bad manners spending 10euro at the deli counter should be tolerated?

Lots and lots of students envy those workers for having regular income.

If students have such bad manners why is it not all of the staff who are so cold and uncaring? I was a regular to that deli for more years than I'd like to admit and it was always the same staff who were nice and the same who weren't. I would consider myself to have above average (in UL standards at least) manners and would always try to engage conversation, yet these actions did little to improve relations with those who just didn't seem to want to be friendly.

No that argument is how every business works if items were being sold at a loss staff would not be paid they would not have a job...
    Lokk if you are polite then they have no excuse but if you go in with that attitude you deserve what they give you!! You do not pay their wages.......

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

No that argument is how every business works if items were being sold at a loss staff would not be paid they would not have a job...
    Lokk if you are polite then they have no excuse but if you go in with that attitude you deserve what they give you!! You do not pay their wages.......

Don't think that has been said enough in here. Some posts have implied, probably due to a lack of articulation, that the very existence of rude customers, which inevitably exist, gives license to certain staff to subject any customer to their poor working attitudes and while the same can be said that poor staff attitudes inevitably exist, it doesn't excuse them thus complaints are justified.

Nobody, including myself, have spent the day monitoring activities but from personal experience I automatically say please and 'thanks' aka thank you through force of habit yet that has not always been reciprocated.

Many, including myself, have been on the opposing side serving the customer, albeit in a different environment, where you meet and greet all kinds of people. Every customer is dealt with on their own merits and the events preceding the next customer shouldn't colour how you treat that person.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭reunion

SarahBeep! wrote: »
    I find the deli staff VERY rude.

wouldn't it be annoying if you heard your welcome after everything? you woudln't appreciate it!

A business plan may also be to sell an item just below cost price or at cost price. Get significant market penetration and loyalty and then raise the prices (10 cent increase on the wedges).
    You do not pay their wages.......
    Spar don't pay the staff's wages, the customers do.
    Lokk if you are polite then they have no excuse but if you go in with that attitude you deserve what they give you!!
    Anyone who works with the public knows you leave your bad moods at the door.

Clearly people have conflicting views on how to work with the public or run a shop

reunion wrote: »
    wouldn't it be annoying if you heard your welcome after everything? you woudln't appreciate it!

Manners don't annoy me so yes, I would appreciate it.

Manners don't annoy me so yes, I would appreciate it.
    The meaner he is, the more he likes you. Nobody else cares that much if you don't have veggies with your dinner but he does!

Would you prefer the deli staff were meaner to you?

They do their job, you ask for 3 sausage rolls you get 3 sausage rolls, they don't give you a guilt trip for what you want to purchase.
    Always my first choice, the only place I feel more at home is in my own living room!
    You must live with mean house mates :pac:

Would you prefer the deli staff were meaner to you?
    Could they be meaner?? Except for the girl with the glasses, she's so nice ALL THE TIME.
    They do their job, you ask for 3 sausage rolls you get 3 sausage rolls, they don't give you a guilt trip for what you want to purchase.

I wouldn't call it a guilt trip. It's nice to know people are concerned about you.

You must live with mean house mates :pac:

My housemates are unreal and I would advise you to refrain from making comments about them.

Could they be meaner?? Except for the girl with the glasses, she's so nice ALL THE TIME.

They could be as mean as the scholars guy you pointed out. If you think someone in the deli is nice, than don't label everyone working in the deli as very rude and unfriendly. Why have they done that's mean? so far you have said they didn't serve you with a smile.
    Doesn't mean they have to be rude and unfriendly though.

I'd rather pay the extra 10/20c and get my roll with a smile and garlic mayo that doesn't burn over in the Stables.

If you want to pay for smiles, go to the dock road.
    I wouldn't call it a guilt trip. It's nice to know people are concerned about you.

So you would prefer if they said to someone who was overweight, are you sure you want to eat that? You are already overweight.
    If you can't look after yourself, go home to your parents, you are meant to be a grown-up in college, not a child.
    My housemates are unreal and I would advise you to refrain from making comments about them.

If you read what you said, you said the guy from the scholars was mean and that it was like home. Therefore your housemates are mean to you.
    Either that or you meant that you like that the scholars guy treats you like a child therefore so do your housemates.

Either way I would view both scenarios to include mean people.

• Advertisement

They could be as mean as the scholars guy you pointed out. If you think someone in the deli is nice, than don't label everyone working in the deli as very rude and unfriendly. Why have they done that's mean? so far you have said they didn't serve you with a smile.

The practically throw the food across the counter at you, they don't listen to your order and they're down right rude. Only one person is consistently friendly, as I mentioned before.

If you want to pay for smiles, go to the dock road.

Pointless comment.

So you would prefer if they said to someone who was overweight, are you sure you want to eat that? You are already overweight.
    If you can't look after yourself, go home to your parents, you are meant to be a grown-up in college, not a child.

It's said playfully to us because we're friends with the staff. I was looking after myself long before I was an adult and I'm certainly not the childish one.
    If you read what you said, you said the guy from the scholars was mean and that it was like home. Therefore your housemates are mean to you.
    Either that or you meant that you like that the scholars guy treats you like a child therefore so do your housemates.
    Either way I would view both scenarios to include mean people.

I said I felt at home in Scholars because the staff ARE ALWAYS NICE, it's comfortable, the food is unreal, the entertainment is unreal, the bar service is quick, the make the best hot chocolate that I've EVER had.

Oh, and did I mention that no matter the time of the day you ALWAYS get a friendly greeting from ANY member of staff. It was mentioned before that most of the staff are students. Regardless of if they are tires/stressed/have work due they are never less than professional and always leave their own problems at the door, unlike the staff in the shop.

I NEVER said it was like home. I said it was one of the places I felt most at home other than my own home. You might want to read a point properly before you fail miserably at trying to troll it.

What is your fixation with me being a child? You clearly have issues with being treated like a child :rolleyes:

The practically throw the food across the counter at you, they don't listen to your order and they're down right rude. Only one person is consistently friendly, as I mentioned before.

You have only said they are rude and that one person is friendly. The rest of your posts have been saying the food is bad and promotions unclear. You haven't said anything about throwing food or not listening to your order.

They haven't gotten my order wrong ever so my guess is people need to stop mumbling and actually pronounce their order. (there will be some human error too but they are human lads!)

Also they reach more customers per hour if they leave the food on the counter and not always hand it directly to you.
    Pointless comment.
    Well I was pointing out that if you want to pay for smiles, there you go.
    It's said playfully to us because we're friends with the staff. I was looking after myself long before I was an adult and I'm certainly not the childish one.

I said I felt at home in Scholars because the staff ARE ALWAYS NICE, it's comfortable, the food is unreal, the entertainment is unreal, the bar service is quick, the make the best hot chocolate that I've EVER had.

Oh, and did I mention that no matter the time of the day you ALWAYS get a friendly greeting from ANY member of staff. It was mentioned before that most of the staff are students. Regardless of if they are tires/stressed/have work due they are never less than professional and always leave their own problems at the door, unlike the staff in the shop.

I would consider as you put it, someone being mean, as a unfriendly greeting. What if you aren't their friend?

Please reread your posts, you never said anything like that or mention anything like that in this thread. Maybe in your head....
    I NEVER said it was like home. I said it was one of the places I felt most at home other than my own home. You might want to read a point properly before you fail miserably at trying to troll it.

Please read your own posts.. You said I feel more at home is in your living room, that means you feel scholars is like home. I.E it is like home. If you can't see the logic in that (and can't read your own posts!), I'm not feeding your troll.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Definitely seeing a pattern on th UL forum......

Can't we all just get along for the kids' sake? :'( :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

I didn't realise the way the staff acted was so important to people. Usually my relationship with shop staff is; I ask for it, I get it, I say thank you and go. I don't really need anything more.

Hmm... I would like to hypothesis that it's not entirely the grouchy "wans" in the shops' fault, but the lack of good managing and accountability. That is what the Scholars have that the shop doesn't. Good stern, hands on, management. It works.
    I didn't realise the way the staff acted was so important to people. Usually my relationship with shop staff is; I ask for it, I get it, I say thank you and go. I don't really need anything more.

That's an alright view to have when popping in to a shop once in a while, but I believe most posters complaining about the staff would be in that shop 10 times a week if not more. A rapport would certainly increase customer satisfaction and perhaps sales.

I have worked in customer service for years and will be the first to admit that rude customers usually do get right under your skin, in particular regular customers who seem to think they are better than you because of the side of the counter they are on. But it is not acceptable to generalise and assume that every customer is like this, and that's what I see from most of the SU shops' staff.

I was in the shop twice today. Had abit of banter with the blonde Irish girl about her wearing a jacket and jumper inside the shop. Second girl said she was good and said to me to have a great weekend.

No complaints from me :D

Word of advise. Don't ever go to Budapest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 cocobulmers

girl with the glasses on deli always in great form . Have you seen they put her on fast deli ... very clever she is fast no queues on her station !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

Welcome to boards.ie, ULSU staff members!

Hope ye all stick around, and I'm sure you're all lovely outside of work.

also, there is no need to be stingy with the roll fillings. I got 2 pieces of tomato on my last roll!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭Chris Martin

I go to the Plaza now majority of time now :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭yuppy700

The fast deli is pure handy. Can be in and out with a box of wedges ( cant believe they went up by 10 cent! ) in less than a minute sometimes.

The amount of filling you get in a roll seems to really depend on which woman is serving you. It can go from very generous to very stingy depending on who you get.

gotta love picking up a pack of toffee pops for a €1

It's good to see that the SU Spar is finally flogging coke as 2 cans for €1.20. Last year the Spar out by plassey was selling 2 for a euro, whereas the SU Spars best offer was €0.75 per can.

Advertisement