Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you rather.. Higher FPS or Two-Tone?

• 24-10-2011 8:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭

Just thought of this. In England their airsoft replicas have to be two tone (if your not registered), so would you rather the two tone?... or... high fps such as 450 FPS or around that so that it gives you the ability to snipe at longer ranges. That is a problem here in ireland. Becouse of our 1j limit our snipers cannot shoot longer ranges like they do in america, sweden.. etc. So if you had to chose which one would you vote for?

t

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭se conman

I would recommend you do a little search here for similar topics and you will quickly see a trend for somewhat new players asking a similar question and getting the same answers of "Airsoft is grand as it is" I agree with this outlook on airsoft in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭Decoy

We're fine just the way we are, thanks for asking. I, for one, have absolutely no interest in this topic, it's been done (in one guise or another) over & over and doesn't need to be rehashed. Our 1 joule limit is not a 'problem'.

We don't need higher muzzle energy airsoft guns and we definitely don't want two-tone crap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭MerryDespot

No to day glow two tone!
    And as Decoy noted above, we've had this debate roll out every six months or so - the issue in other countries revolves around how airsoft devices are classified. Here if it's above 1joule it's a firearm - there's no way around it.

So - is the Firearms act going to be changed to allow for airsoft snipers - not a snowballs chance in hell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 869 ✭✭✭hrta

It's fine the way it is, it would only give the nah Sayers some thing to talk about, and the DOJ cant change the the fire arms law on airsoft, as there's some funny law that between 1.2 and 1.9 joule's, cant be brought in to the fire arms law, if i remember, it was back in 2006, at a meeting with the garda, when it was talked about, i think alan b knows more on this, if he would like to post about it.

Paul.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Zomg Okay

More FPS doesn't necessarily mean more range and besides, I like the idea of the bolties having the same FPS as everything else. It means a bloke using a bolty doesn't have to put it away just because his target is within a certain range.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Just thought of this. In England their airsoft replicas have to be two tone (if your not registered), so would you rather the two tone?... or... high fps such as 450 FPS or around that so that it gives you the ability to snipe at longer ranges. That is a problem here in ireland.

To add to what others have said about this debate being done to death a thousand times before (and they're oh-so-right), I would also suggest that if you're going to point to another country's laws surrounding airsoft that you educate yourself on that too before pointing to it as some sort of poster child for your argument.

In the UK (mainland, NI is slightly different in its criteria), it goes as follows:
    • Under 18? Tough. No new airsoft guns for you.
    • Aged 18+? Unable to prove eligibility for the VCRA skirmisher exemption? Either build up eligibility or get a two-tone gun
    • Aged 18+ and able to prove eligibility for the VCRA skirmisher defence? Work away.

Airsoft guns fall under two categories under the VCRA, 2007;
    • Replica Imitation Firearm (RIF).
    • Imitation Firearm (IF), i.e. two-tone.

People tend to use the term 'RIF' to refer colloquially to both RIF and IF, instead using the term 'two-tone' to differentiate. But the above is the legal definitions of both.

Now, once you are able to purchase an airsoft gun, be it two-tone or not, there are no additional "restrictions" other than what is already in place, i.e. 370fps is the maximum permitted output for any RIF that is 'self-loading'.

Given the above, trying to somehow argue for either two-tone or >1j is a red herring of an argument because that's not how it is in the UK.

Now, here comes the important bit that brings any hopes that the 370fps reference and no additional restrictions above might give crashing to earth. Read on.

370fps may be the absolute legal hard-limit for any AEG considered 'self-loading' (after which you're looking at a class 2 firearms offence), but finding sites that will allow you run at that level are very few between. Most sites operate power ranges along the following:
    • Up to 350fps - No engagement range
    • 351 - 500fps - bolt action only, engagement ranges observed; typically 25m

If you want to run a bolty above the generally site-imposed 350fps limit you will need to carry a side-arm and observe minimum engagement ranges .... and this is where experience comes into it. Some sites will not allow you to run a bolty without first having an experienced marshal shadow you to make sure you have a clue what you're about. I would lay money on someone turning up with a two-tone 500fps bolty being told "no".

I am purposefully ignoring any discussion around power, range, and the pros/cons of either having to observe minimum engagement ranges or not, etc. because existing threads deal with that quite thoroughly. The above is legal and/or what sites/marshals will make if it all on the day only.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭Evade

Just thought of this. In England their airsoft replicas have to be two tone (if your not registered), so would you rather the two tone?... or... high fps such as 450 FPS or around that so that it gives you the ability to snipe at longer ranges. That is a problem here in ireland. Becouse of our 1j limit our snipers cannot shoot longer ranges like they do in america, sweden.. etc. So if you had to chose which one would you vote for?

t
    I might be reading this wrong but isn't that like asking someone if they'd like a cheeseburger or a slap in the face? One could be beneficial for some, others might have no use for it while the other is a slap in the face.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Firekitten

If you blame your lack of ability to play the role of the sniper in airsoft on the fps of your rifle, 1000fps will not help you my dear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭sliabh

Damn, and just when I thought people were getting better at this. We were just 1 day short of 3 weeks since the last 1-Joule thread.

The one before that was 2 months earlier back in August.

Although it had been just a week or so before that and the end of July for the one previous to that.

And there was one three weeks before that.

I guess every three weeks is about the mean time for these.

I used to think the ban on discussion >1J guns was for legal reasons. I see now it's for sanity purposes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

I dunno, I'd like the FPS limit raised (although its not going to happen) , not for performance reasons but more so to make it less hassle trying to get "hot" guns downgraded before entering the country / having to worry about badly done downgrades.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Leftyflip

Leave it as we are - 1 joule is fine. If you want more range - look at your barrel, hop and BB combination - myself and a few other lads have built some guns with excellent range, so much so that people occasionally think they're hot!

I'd certainly hate two-tone, if we had to go two-tone, I'd start wearing 1980s rave outfits...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭need a aeg

youre obviously in to the sniper role and want to get more range but if you invest in a good scope with easily adjusted windage and elevation and learn how to adjust your scope accordingly to the distance of a target that takes a bit of practice but heres the formula to work the distance out measured objects width or height in yards/meters x k divided byobjects width or height in mils = range in yards and meters and k is the magnification of the scope times x 100 and know what the dip in your bb is at that distance. i know it will be hard but its the only way i can think of P.S lefty i LOLED hard and dont forget the effect the wind will have

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

these threads are usually started by someone new to airsoft who got a sniper for their first gun and is extremely surprised how much more skill is needed to snipe compared to using an aeg.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭airsofter.adam

yes but would you fancy being hit with a 750 FPS sniper :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

What?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

And this, boys and girls, is why I do not trust Irish airsoft with anything beyond 1j.

Tell me adam, at what range would you be aiming that 750fps airsoft rifle? Can you judge distance accurately? I would hazard a guess based on your compelling argument that the answer to the latter would be a huge fat "no" and the answer to the former would be "sure why can't I hit him from 10 feet?".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭Puding

youre obviously in to the sniper role and want to get more range but if you invest in a good scope with easily adjusted windage and elevation and learn how to adjust your scope accordingly to the distance of a target that takes a bit of practice but heres the formula to work the distance out measured objects width or height in yards/meters x k divided byobjects width or height in mils = range in yards and meters and k is the magnification of the scope times x 100 and know what the dip in your bb is at that distance.

tbh there is no need to do any of this in airsoft once you have zeroed, with the ranges we deal with, even at 500fps + the need to do this would just not be there.

Zero your device for a good average range and them just get experience of how the bb fly, then just aim higher or lower as needed, far more convenient, far faster .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭NakedDex

Plus, by the time the average skirmished had all that done, the game would have ended.

Doubled energy limits do not equate to doubled ranges, just lower flight time.
    Here's an interesting concept for wannabe snipers: stop sounding like a Sherman rolling over a glass recycling bin while you're "sniping".
    Most bolt action users who consider themselves snipers have all the stealth and subtlety of a low yield thermonuclear explosion and the skill of a team of hyperactive hamsters with uncorrected myopia.
    Just because you bought a bolt action rifle, doesn't mean you're a sniper. It's not just a skill, it's a craft. Master it before you decide you want higher limits to compensate for ability.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,357 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

I don't think the practice of actually zeroing a scope on an airsoft gun actually exists amongst the ranks average airsofters. I once saw a 'sniper' take the scope off the rifle, loosen and move the mounts, throw it back on the rifle and proceed to enter the game, I'm sure most here don't need the foolishness of that explained but that's what you come up against with a lot airsoft snipers and in the mind of these people the following myth exists 'Sure, if the gun was 2 joules I'd hit everything'. No, you'd be hitting air at 2 joules with your unzeroed scope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭Nuke1973

All the sites that I've played on would frown upon the act of smacking someone with your gun, regardless of the FPS it has ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement