Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

downloading movies (Mod Note: First Post)

Options
  • 24-10-2011 8:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭

anybody recommend any website for downloading movies... don't want to be sounding illegal ere!!! cheers

Mod Note: Only discussion about legal downloading/streaming services is permitted on boards. Bans will be handed out if anyone suggests illegal downloading.
    Please see the forum charter for the rules.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

cottager83 wrote: »
    anybody recommend any website for downloading movies... don't want to be sounding illegal ere!!! cheers

I think Itunes supports it, but I would advise avoiding that crap at all costs, Netflix annouced it is coming to Ireland soon, so you may want to hold out for that?

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Dymo

Zune Tv, downloaded a few trailers from them on my xbox, quality seemed very good

http://www.zune.net/en-GB/

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭U_Fig

if you're a sky tv customer or know anyone close enough to let you use their account sky go has a good collection of movies

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭anotherfinemess

How do I tell if a download is illegal? I don't want to do anything illegal, but I would like to access as much as I can as freely as I can. How do I know when I am breaking the law? Does USA law apply in the EU? If yes, do we think it should?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Paranoid1

Just wait til they come on the tv, even borrowing a DVD is piracy so don't download or stream anything

• Advertisement

Legal download sources include Netflix, the RTE Player (or any of the Irish TV broadcasters if you are in Ireland, and Channel 4 player is included), iTunes, Google will also be bringing a video rental service to Ireland soon to rival iTunes.

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭yomamasflavour

Do free streaming sites qualify as legal?

As in ones that seem to be seem to be add supported (william hill betting in particular).
    They generally seem to adhere to dmca requests so I assume they're legal?

Do free streaming sites qualify as legal?

As in ones that seem to be seem to be add supported (william hill betting in particular).
    They generally seem to adhere to dmca requests so I assume they're legal?

If they are streaming with a license then it is ok (I would imagine William Hill would have such a license). Ad supported sport streaming sites which stream sky sports, movies or other such channels would fall in the same category as illegal downloading. Same goes for watching full length films online, unless the film was licensed by the producer to be shown on that particular website.

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭skeg16

Mod note: Bans will be issued any more piracy discussion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

skeg16 wrote: »
    Technically its not illegal because its P2P

:confused::confused::confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭skeg16

:confused::confused::confused:

Peer-to-Peer....I best keep my mouth shut, don't want another slap on the wrist :D

Just to point out, torrents and peer 2 peer technology in itself is not illegal. Using sites to grab the latest pirated Movies, TV Shows, Games etc. that use these protocols are illegal.

Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Squeaky the Squirrel

Why is VPN discussion not allowed? Where did that come from originally?

Why is VPN discussion not allowed? Where did that come from originally?

VPN discussion is allowed, asking how to use a VPN to bypass region restrictions on Netflix, BBC Iplayer and the likes is not allowed.
    The Geo IP blocking is done due to copyright reasons, so using VPNs to access content locked in your country is akin to downloading from a torrent or whatever.
    I I lock threads RE: VPNs it is due to OP asking about them not for privacy or security reasons, but for copyright infringement reasons

Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Squeaky the Squirrel

yoyo wrote: »
    The Geo IP blocking is done due to copyright reasons
    So it is...with the BBC anyway, thought it was a bandwidth thing for some reason:confused:, not sure about Netflix though, I think once you have an Account you can bounce in from anywhere. Near sure I read that....

Advertisement