Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How old is too old?

Options
  • 24-10-2011 9:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi Everyone. I am thinking of taking on another horse but was wondering if any of you have any opinions or experience with older horses? How old is the oldest horse you have regularily ridden? Thanks for any input.:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,260 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

I think its not just a matter of age but what they have done, a girl in the yard where I am still competes on her 27 year old gelding

• Registered Users Posts: 5,465 ✭✭✭finbarrk

19 yo pony jumped 175 cms in Millstreet the other night. I also saw a 23yo horse win a gate comp a few years ago.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Bit like a car and milage, a 20 yr old with 10,000 on the clock will be better than a 17 yr old with 100,000!!Also, ponies seem to age better.I'd be inclined to think in terms of a 12-14 yr old, any older and you can run into costly age related problems.

Advertisement