Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rain and transport this evening

Options
  • 24-10-2011 10:25pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭

How's everyone fairing tonight? My sister's trying to get home, she's on a 33 now, but it's hard to get solid info - AA and Dublin sites haven't been updated in a while, twitter seems to be where it's at, kids.

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Reports of Blakes Cross to Lusk road closed (presumably at the Blakes Cross end), with 1 lane of the M1 closed between the Airport and Balbriggan

Rain has pretty much stopped in Skerries and hopefully the roads will start to clear.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,328 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

How's everyone fairing tonight? My sister's trying to get home, she's on a 33 now, but it's hard to get solid info - AA and Dublin sites haven't been updated in a while, twitter seems to be where it's at, kids.

I hope it's not this one.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzLwz37nLiQ&sns=fb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 magrat

Took me an hour and a bit to drive from smithfield (law society offices) to the halfway house on the navan road. Could see no visable reason for it either.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

Did anybody manage to get to portmarnock train station this morning? I live down there and couldn't get home last night :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Eoineo

Did anybody manage to get to portmarnock train station this morning? I live down there and couldn't get home last night :(
    Roads around the train station, particularly Graingers roundabout at the bridge are very badly flooded this morning. Avoid if possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

Eoineo wrote: »
    Roads around the train station, particularly Graingers roundabout at the bridge are very badly flooded this morning. Avoid if possible.

Thanks! Staying in the parents for the next while so, now if only they had an Xbox...

• Registered Users Posts: 24 shanemasseyman

river along the ring road in lusk flooded on to the bypass and in to the houses in lusk village, it went in too a few of them, and the water wasd coming up the toilets and sinks:eek:
    my grandfater told the builders when they where being built on a flood plain and would flood some day. . .he was right.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

I was stunned when going to work this morning at 4.50am how clear the roads were between Rush and Balbriggan with only a few spots having big pools, Just down from the cottages on Rush Rd in Skerries, Holmpatrick and a spot just beyond the ladys stairs.

When I got back to Rush it was daylight and some roads were in awful state with up to 3 feet of water in places. One lane near North Beach was just about gone with a massive crater in the middle of it.

Looking along the main St most of the shores were blocked. There was a massive pool outside my house because the shore has not been cleaned in about 15 years despite numerous requests. Surely SOME of the flooding could have been avoided if the drains were properly cleared even once a year? I know this was an unusual occurane but some basic housekeeping by Fingal could have saved a lot of hassle for people. Anyone walking to the train station would have been destroyed such was the builup of water at drains along Whitestown Rd.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Eoineo

Fingal themselves were appealing on Twitter for people to inform them of blocked shores on Monday evening/night. Water services/Drainage must have been under some pressure (scuse the pun) since Thursday last week given the 2 water main bursts in Swords.

I can remember floods as bad as this about 15 years or so ago. The same areas were hit pretty hard then too.

Interestingly for all of the flood relief works on the Racecourse lands in Baldoyle and the bridge at Portmarnock didn't help at all. These areas were still very slow to drain away.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Excuse my ignorance, but where does all the stuff in drains go to? Think FCC are a bit better on twitter now.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 shanemasseyman

ditchs and rivers and finally the see. clean them out your self? i was clearing shores on tuesday

Advertisement