Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House Flooded - What next?

Options
  • 24-10-2011 11:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭

Renting a house and there is currently at least a foot of water in my entire downstairs.
    We're all safe upstairs thankfully.
    What I'm wondering is what the next steps are once the water goes down?
    What is my landlord liable for? I presume any structural damage and any of the furniture that they provided is their responsibility. I'm obviously responsible for my own possessions.
    What about the lease? Would this be a reason to break the lease without losing deposit. It's only the start of winter and we couldn't go through this again.
    I'd appreciate any advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,400 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Turn off gas, electricity, etc. now - there is a risk of electrocution and or a gas explosion if the pipework is damaged.

Each is responsible for their own property.

Realistically, the property won't be very usuable for the next week or so. If it continues beyond that, yes, you could consider the lease frustrated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭thunderdog

Yeah we had flooding as well last night in our basement..treadmills and the like not working now..was wondering if the landlords house insurance might cover it but Im guessing not

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

thunderdog wrote: »
    Yeah we had flooding as well last night in our basement..treadmills and the like not working now..was wondering if the landlords house insurance might cover it but Im guessing not

I believe contents insurance is the tenant's lookout.

On the plus side, this was supposed to be a once in a hundred years event, so hopefully it won't recur.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,565 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Snakeblood wrote: »
    On the plus side, this was supposed to be a once in a hundred years event, so hopefully it won't recur.
    Unless you live on Clanmoyle road in Donnycarney; three bad floods in four years. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭littlejp

• Advertisement
Advertisement