Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem with new Lenovo laptop from Amazon UK, do I contact Amazon or Lenovo?

Options
  • 24-10-2011 11:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭

I have a new Lenovo laptop bought from Amazon UK, the power socket in the unit seems to be loose, it's wobbly and when plugged in the laptop keeps skipping between charging and using the battery. Should I go through Lenovo support or contact Amazon? Any experinces with either anyone? I believe I can still return it - perhaps it's easier than going through the hassle of repairs if it's not easy to get a replacement?...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

You might be better posting this in consumer issues.

Under Irish law,it's the seller who has the responsibility of dealing with the customer in the case of faulty goods.

Since it's from Amazon and not in Ireland I'm not sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Moved to consumer issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

It's the seller you should contact (Amazon). They may pass you on to Lenovo but even if they do they have ultimate responsibility.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Make contact with Amazon first off anyway. Their live chat is quite useful. See what they say, and take it from there. It is their responsibility to fix this. How recently did you buy the laptop?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

I've had it for two weeks but only checked briefly and left alone since I have an old laptop I needed to tidy up before I move all my stuff. Unfortunately I moved it all and used it for couple of days before the power thing came out so I'd hate to have to reverse it all now. I will contact Amazon to see what they say but I wonder if it makes sense to send it back - it will probably cost me and it's a simple thing so if it stops working I can fix it myself or have it fixed cheaply. Decisions decisions...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Start with Amazon - your contract of sale is with them. Plus, they have a good reputation for customer service.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,954 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

I also had a problem with a laptop bought from amazon. Got back onto them on their phone line .They immediately offered me a replacement that was despatched that evening. They also gave me 30 days to return my broken laptop and told me they will pay carriage. Cannot fault them at all.

Thanks guys and especially Whimsical, I contacted Amazon and went through exactly the same procedure, my new laptop has been posted immediately and I have 30 days to return the faulty one - the postage will be reimbursed. This way I will have ample time to transfer my files and clean up. Great service indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭mikemike

I know this has probably been answered before , but I can't seem to find a definitive answer .

Did you have to pay any VAT or DUTY when the laptop arrived from the UK ?

thanks .

No, I don't think so, there were no extra charges apart from what I paid at Amazon checkout.

BTW I am enjoying my new laptop, having sent the faulty one back to Amazon Portlaoise camp. Really pleased with their service.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

mikemike wrote: »
    Did you have to pay any VAT or DUTY when the laptop arrived from the UK ?

No, anything shipped from within the EU is not liable for duty etc.

Glad you got sorted OP, Amazon are top class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

mhge wrote: »
    - it will probably cost me and it's a simple thing so if it stops working I can fix it myself or have it fixed cheaply. Decisions decisions...
    For anyone thinking of doing this just know that it will void any warrenty and statutory rights you have!
    No, anything shipped from within the EU is not liable for duty etc.

Glad you got sorted OP, Amazon are top class.
    Some companies trading within the UK and France will ship their goods from Jersey or other countries outside the EU where VAT and Duty have to be paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Some companies trading within the UK and France will ship their goods from Jersey or other countries outside the EU where VAT and Duty have to be paid.

Very important point here by foggy_lad. Make sure that your goods are shipping from the UK and not Channel Islands / EU where you will have to pay duty & VAT.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

dudara wrote: »
    Very important point here by foggy_lad. Make sure that your goods are shipping from the UK and not Channel Islands / EU where you will have to pay duty & VAT.

I assume you have EU in here by mistake?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Trevor451

dudara wrote: »

Its mostly DVDs/games that amazon dispatch from the channel islands (outside the EU) and it looks like that is going to stop soon enough

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-15646470

Most other goods are dispatched from there mainland UK warehouses.

Advertisement