Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New App - County Caller

Options
  • 24-10-2011 11:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭

Seen this app that was only available in the US. It used the area code of the number to find out where the caller is from. I used this idea to use the Irish area codes to display a toast notification of where the caller is from i.e. 01 is from Dublin. This can be handy when you receive a call from an unknown number as it can give you some idea who it is from.

If theres any interest in this I'll polish it up and throw it up onto the market

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

That's pretty cool actually.
    Put a pic of me up for Waterford callers.

Go for it man.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Kev.

Good App alright but cant see it taking off over here,

Now if it was to work in the UK that would be a different story IMO...

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I think a lot of landline numbers extend beyond the original county boundaries, so you get 01 numbers in Wicklow and Kildare, for example. My parents have a Carlow number in Kilkenny... I'm sure there are loads of others. Still, it gives a rough idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,536 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I think a lot of landline numbers extend beyond the original county boundaries, so you get 01 numbers in Wicklow and Kildare, for example. My parents have a Carlow number in Kilkenny... I'm sure there are loads of others. Still, it gives a rough idea.

this is obvioulsy correct, as places like Greystones and Bray, in Wicklow, have a 01 code. However, they would have town identifiers (287 for greystones and 286 for Bray in the past, there are new ones that I never bothered learning). If the OP could get a definitive list of these, and incorporate it into their program, it would be a great idea imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭dsrckiyisvddht

Kev it would be handy enough to add UK to this. There are area codes that overlap but it still gives a good idea. I might even have a look into searching golden pages etc for listed numbers both residential and business

• Advertisement
Advertisement