Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lack of common sense in the soccer forum.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Is there no rule against personal abuse on Feedback?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

And there lies the problem, 3 permabans and it's still somebody else's fault.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

K-9 wrote: »

It is simply a statement of fact as highlighted earlier in this thread and elsewhere, nothing more.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Is there no rule against personal abuse on Feedback?

The rules against personal abuse apply everywhere. Please report any posts you have an issue with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

K-9 wrote: »

Highlights the need to prevent the permabanned commenting on Fora they're excluded from, really. It only allows them do the same kind of thing they were excluded for in the first place.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

I was banned for six months a good while ago for getting 6 yellows, anyway, when I returned the SF was much crapper than I remembered. (just in case anyone thinks I was a troll for getting banned, I don't think I was, it was one episode of calling Gatusso a scumbag a number of times after he headbutted Joe Jordan, my bad)

The soccer forum needs a purge, then a fresh start. The Utd thread is crap these days, and its because of only a few people. Its got to the stage where a Utd social group where those lads arent allowed post wold be preferable, imo anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Wolfe Tone wrote: »
    I was banned for six months a good while ago for getting 6 yellows, anyway, when I returned the SF was much crapper than I remembered. (just in case anyone thinks I was a troll for getting banned, I don't think I was, it was one episode of calling Gatusso a scumbag a number of times after he headbutted Joe Jordan, my bad)

The soccer forum needs a purge, then a fresh start. The Utd thread is crap these days, and its because of only a few people. Its got to the stage where a Utd social group where those lads arent allowed post wold be preferable, imo anyway.

and most of them are in this thread. Man, I wish they were bondholders......

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

PHB wrote: »
    Sean Bateman and BERBA have been banned. They broke the 6 yellows rule. But I also would have liked them banned sooner, see below for possible solution.

BERBA is back now and posting shìte again. I presume he got some cards over turned. I see him posting in the greatest teams of all time thread gloating about how Spurs beat both Milan teams last year - completely irrelevant to the discussion. The usual and constant off topic bigging up spurs, gloating at any other team that losses shìte that he has been producing since he joined the forum.

Your suggestion of three cards in a month to get rid of the trolls early is a reasonable attempt to improve the rules, but it won't work imo. Firstly too many genuine posters are going to fall foul of it after one bad day or similar. Secondly, there will still be trolls who avoid it. Just ban the obvious dickheads. I know it's not always that easy, but I honestly don't see any other solution than to try doing it that way.

Maybe the issue of moderation in the soccer forum is just impossible to solve. Maybe it's just too many judgement calls that have to be made or too much rules lawyering that has to be done for it ever to be close to reliable. Like an experiment where the inherent margins of error are always so big that you can never get accurate results.

The Muppet wrote: »
    That's an excellent post Des it gets your side of the argument across very well. However i don't think it is a valid argument for all forums here.

I would agree with a zero tolerance in the more serious forums like Politics, Personal issues etc etc but should it be applied across the board especially in the less serious forums like soccer and ah?

I think most people post on the soccer forum for a bit of banter and the crack just like AH, yeah I know there are serious heads in it too who imo take it all way too seriously.

This raises the question who's enjopyment of the forum takes precedence and who is ruining whos enjoyment of the forum enfocing mods to stifle the place with the enforcment of frankly stupid rules.

I look on my particpation on boards as an equivalent to going down the local for a bit of crack (I know there are serious forums too, they are not for me).

If theres a match on in the local the supporters of the losing team are always in for a bit of ribbing. I have never seen a publican, bar anyone for partaking in this ribbing. IMO it's part and parcel of being a soccer supporter , you take the good with the bad, you get ribbed this week, next week you do the ribbing with a bit of luck. I've had a good bit of late from my City supporting friends, it's all part of the game.

That's my opinion it, it differs from yours, which of us are right , who knows? I do know soccer will never be anything other than a bit of fun for me not to be taken seriously.

That would be a lot more believable if you hadn't put hundreds of posts into extremely complicated arguments with people about things like the Rafa Benitez's transfer spending and the United financial situation.

Your talk of it all just being a bit of fun is clearly a ruse used to try and justify your abandoning of logic and objectivity whenever it suits you.

There is rightly a lot of room for banter in the soccer forum. The problem comes when posters abuse that room for banter to undermine every serious discussion that they choose to take part in.

Pro. F wrote: »
    That would be a lot more believable if you hadn't put hundreds of posts into extremely complicated arguments with people about things like the Rafa Benitez's transfer spending and the United financial situation.

Your talk of it all just being a bit of fun is clearly a ruse used to try and justify your abandoning of logic and objectivity whenever it suits you.

There is rightly a lot of room for banter in the soccer forum. The problem comes when posters abuse that room for banter to undermine every serious discussion that they choose to take part in.

TBh i couldn't care lesss what you believe, My post was in reply to Des, he's been around long enough to know if i was being sincere or not.

You're right I did put a lot of time into Rafa's spending and the united financial situation at a time it was very unpopular to do so and I was right on both those issues. I did so because It was more constructive to do that rather than spend my time nip picking and reporting other users posts in an attempt to get them in trouble and there was a lot of lies being posted that needed to be challenged.

• Advertisement

TBh i couldn't care lesss what you believe, My post was in reply to Des, he's been around long enough to know if i was being sincere or not.

If you don't care what I believe then why are you replying to me?

You were indeed replying to Des, but that doesn't mean other people can't address the points you made.
    You're right I did put a lot of time into Rafa's spending and the united financial situation at a time it was very unpopular to do so and I was right on both those issues. I did so because It was more constructive to do that rather than spend my time nip picking and reporting other users posts in an attempt to get them in trouble and there was a lot of lies being posted that needed to be challenged.

So you weren't just doing it for a bit of fun then. It wasn't all just about the banter. I rest my case.

(edit:) Ps. You were wrong about both those cases and you argued them in such an illogical way that eventually contributed to your ban.

Pro. F wrote: »
    If you don't care what I believe then why are you replying to me?

You were indeed replying to Des, but that doesn't mean other people can't address the points you made.

So you weren't just doing it for a bit of fun then. It wasn't all just about the banter. I rest my case.

The fun was in proving the liers wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

It's just like the good old days:D

Blatter wrote: »

They must miss me, Where's bamboozling?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭tommyhaas

They must miss me, Where's bamboozling?

Permabanned apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 45,486 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Blatter wrote: »

Liverpool Superthread 2010/11...

The fun was in proving the liers wrong.

Good man Muppet, never stop trying to rewrite history. You're a real martyr to the cause.

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Liverpool Superthread 2010/11...

Love the sig but who was he talking about?;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭tommyhaas

Love the sig but who was he talking about?;)

Yourself and Flah :pac:

tommyhaas wrote: »
    Yourself and Flah :pac:

I wonder how many reported posts will that fine example of low level trolling produce?:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Perhaps something should be done about the fact that what is banned from the Soccer Forum often spills over into Feedback: not least arguments and long-winded soap-boxing against universally popular moderator decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

lol@the Muppet's lack of a real hobby

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Is it just me or did this thread turn into another soccer thread a few days back only minus the football and plus the sniping? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

The modding of the FAI Cup Final thread has been far from adequate and there was at least one mod about as there's a warning in it.

The usual trolls are baiting and getting away with it so nothing ever changes no matter how many feedback threads there are.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,957 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Bring back Xavi6 and Des imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Des was never a soccer mod.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,957 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Oops, my mistake. Maybe he gave out to me on thread in my early days and I just thought he was a mod of soccer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Quazzie wrote: »
    Oops, my mistake. Maybe he gave out to me on thread in my early days and I just thought he was a mod of soccer.

Back seat mod? Moi?

No way.

Shame he wasn't, he'd be respected by most of the forum, unlike some of the current incumbents.

Why someone who has stated they have no interested in modding soccer would want to hold on to the position is beyond me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

blah blah blah the current incumberants. etc etc...

Why somebody who does not want to be a part of the soccer forum continues to post on anything that they can find to do with it is beyond me. Must be awful to be on the outside looking in......again.

incumberants :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement