Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any word on a Final Fantasy 7 remake??

Options
  • 25-10-2011 12:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭

All I want to hear is yes....:pac:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Considering (according to the FFX thread) X is going to get a remake with XIII aesthetics, I can't see why a VII re-jig wouldn't happen, considering it introduced so very many to the genre.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,186 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I still think it will happen at some stage, but Square won't be able to do it like they are with FFX. It would need to be built from the ground up, and that would be a major project.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,447 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    Considering (according to the FFX thread) X is going to get a remake with XIII aesthetics, I can't see why a VII re-jig wouldn't happen, considering it introduced so very many to the genre.

It ain't getting done with FFXIII aesthetics. It's just being up ressed.

There'd be far too much work to put into an FFVII remake that I can't see it being viable. It would have to have the budget of a big AAA game which for square they would rather spend on a new game rather than an old one because it would sell more. FFVII is only going to sell to a vocal minority of gamers that actually remember it. Also FFVII is not the most popular FF in japan. The gamers are a lot younger in japan and only remember the newer games so a recent poll showed FFX as the best ever with FFVII way down the list. Square are going to cater to the japanese market first and won't be listening to a few westerners asking about FFVII.

My advice is this. Go play new games like Xenoblade, Radiant Historia or Persona 4. FFVII isn't as good as the fanboys say and there's plenty of new games that are far better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭megaten

FFVII will never get remade in the near future. Today's game buying public can't handle a cross dressing protagonist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

I think its better just to leave it.

Any attempt of a remake would never capture the feeling of playing the original.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,447 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Any attempt of a remake would never capture the feeling of playing the original.

Yep, just look at the current rubbish Square are pumping out and the 'compendium of FFVII'. They'll just replace all the soul from the game with over the top nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

i believe SE is saving ff7 as the final (final) last straw for the company :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Sieghardt

absolutely I dread to think what kind of gackt filled Jpop garbage they'd put out now :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,011 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

All I want to hear is yes....:pac:

Why do you want a remake?

Do you want the battle mechanics changed?

Do you want the plot changed?

The sound?

Voice acting?

I'm going to assume the answer to most of these questions is no, so why not just buy it on PSN and enjoy it for what it is?

Or buy VIII or IX and enjoy better games.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

megaten wrote: »
    Today's game buying public can't handle a cross dressing protagonist.

And yet, SNK still sell games.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭Hal Emmerich

The sound?

Voice acting?

I'm going to assume the answer to most of these questions is no, so why not just buy it on PSN and enjoy it for what it is?

Hmm, I've never actually tought about what I'd like changed.....

At the minute, the answers to the above are No. Except for a graphical update, they can leave it the exact same, I'd rather it over any other game.

I actually have the Original on disc but I've being putting off playing it for years waiting for this ever rumoured remake.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

The sound?

Voice acting?

8 a better game? Get out! Lamest story in a video game ever and ive played alot of games..

I have no doubt they will remake seven, judging by their recent games, i predict they aint making as much money as they used too and as someone has implied, its the ace up their sleeve.. So many would buy it, heck even i would and im against them doing it.

However, above all else, i would just like to see them revert back to making good games. They havent made a good FF since X, anything after that has been complete horse shit..

But they had better stories than ff8 ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,861 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I'm playing VII on my PC at the moment and I have to say that it has to be the most overrated game of all time. It's not bad, it's quite good. I'm sick of all the XIII bashers saying the series went downhill after VII. The story goes to sh!t after Midgar and Sephiroth is meant to be this under-iconic villain. All he does is burn down a town and kill some annoying girl before making the usual take-over-the-world move. And materia? It essentially makes all the characters in the game idenetical gameplay-wise (save limit breaks). FFIV and FFX had way more compelling stories IMO.
    Now, don't get me wrong. I love VII but I'd much sooner see a remake of VI (dying to see if it's as good as they say).

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

Ahem, there are two villains in FF7, pay attention and you may see more in the story. The person you're chasing around the globe
    who killed everybody in the shinra building including the president and mind controls cloud numerous times and subsequently kills Aeries, is not Sephiroth, its Jenova under the guise of Seph ;)

Sephiroth was thrown into the lifestream many years prior to the current events by cloud, where he remained until cloud hands him the black materia under the control of Jenova to which he then summons meteor in which will eventually wipeout everybody on the earth and Seph will be reborn/transcend as a god.

Now whether Sephiroth was controlling Jenova or vice versa, im not really sure, perhaps they were working together.

Id like to play through the game again buts its sooo dated and horrible to look at on my big HD tv. Kinda hoping they do a remake or conversion onto the 3DS..

Oh and 13 is a horrible game, the story is so boring and weak and some of the lines are just throw your controller at the TV cringe worthy (Us moms are tough) ugh!

In Sephiroths defense, lets look through the FF's end bosses and compare

FF4 -
    Golbez (Big guy in black armor being mind controlled by hate) Boring and no back story for the entire game on this fella

FF6 -
    Kefka ( i havent played this game fully so dont know much about this guy, but alot of Seph haters argue he is the best FF baddie)
    FF7 -
    Sephiroth (a super soldier turned crazy after finding out he was created in a lab, alot of back story on this fella)

FF8 -
    Ultimecia (revelaed at the end of the game and out of nowhere, complete horse **** of a story and end boss, also rumored to be future Rinoa?)
    FF9 -
    Kuja (a cross dressing brother of Zidane, i actually loved FF9 and was only pissed off by them copping out with Necron in the end)
    FF10 - Sin
    (a pretty badass bad guy/thing, working to stop it from the very start of the game, alot of story to go with this fella)
    FF12 and 13 - I dont know who the end bosses were, the stories were so boring and shit i just couldn't continue playing them and im pretty sure i got well passed the half way mark in both games.

The other FF's i haven't played, but from what ive heard, they dont have much story, i could be wrong there though..

So in retrospect to me, FF7, 9 and 10 are the only games with end bosses with alot of backstory, the rest were mostly cop outs and ****. So to begin with there wasnt much competition to compete with Sephiroth. He just looks cooler i guess which is where the extra love comes from :D

Kefka is a hundred times better than Sephiroth.

This proves it:

Most sephiroth lovers don't realise that Jenova was pulling his strings and controlling him, something idiotically retconned in Advent Children.

He's still not that great of a badguy when there's villians like Luca Blight and SHODAN in better games.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,861 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I'm aware of Jenova, I was just mentioning Sephiroth as he keeps topping all these lists. You're right about XIII being a bit cheesy but a lot of the VII dialogue is the same. I liked how XIII didn't have a single villain to focus on but it did make the storyline a bit hollow at the same time. XII was a nice idea drowned out in a woeful execution. I like the character, I just don't see why he tops every single top videogame and top FF character list I see.
    The fact that some don't like the previous FF endgame bosses (excluding Kefka) doesn't make him great. I've seen plenty better.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

I agree he is over rated, his notoriety is mostly to do with how "cool" he looks. but lets not take away from FF7 just because of his fame outside the game. Its still a great story and i havent got much to complain about the game, he wasnt the only bad guy in the game also which was cool. You've got the shinra army and the turks and the Weapons to deal with too and the game kept a nice steady pace and each cut scene felt like a worthy payoff to the story.

Not like FF8 for instance, it had some nice ideas, it was a solid game up until the end of Disc 1 and then it just started to go downhill slowly and then just fell apart with the big reveal about the
    orphanage

And im sure i would like Kefka as a bad guy, i just cant bring myself to play FFV on a pc-rom. Id prefer to play it on say my 3ds with it being fleshed out like FFIV was..

I'm just after plowing through FFIV and while it looked great and a worthy handheld game, in comparison to other FF games story wise, it was pretty darn weak. Mindless grinding for most of it and then small story reveals which were just yawn worthy. And people always raged about the job system in that game but i just felt it was soooo bare, most of the charcaters have like 2-3 moves :rolleyes:

What id like to see from Square is for them to revert back to the old ways of making their RPG's in tradition to how it was done from 1-10, bring back world maps etc. Refrain from remaking FF5-9 and just try and make them for handhelds.

That would be sweet, but it will probably never happen as apparently my ways are uncool :(

nix wrote: »
    And people always raged about the job system in that game but i just felt it was soooo bare, most of the charcaters have like 2-3 moves :rolleyes:

The job system from 5 is the really good one. FF4 had a simple but decent battle system. Never needed to grind in it though other than for the last boss.

I had to grind for a few bosses/areas, found it rather frustrating tbh, i didnt run from any battles and usually ended up doing alot of leveling anyway from revealing all maps for bonus items. But still had to spend 30-60 mins here and there just grinding xp, really tedious. Also found alot of the members went out of MP really quick in dungeons and i have found maybe 2 mobs in the whole game where the spell osmose stole a decent amount of MP.

Like take the tower of babel, the first time you enter it there are fire based mobs that can do an cast all fire attack, they were wiping my party out before some of them even got attacks off. So i went and leveled for ages, when i went back they wiped my party again, i was raging. So any fight where there were more than one of the beasts, i had to just run from the fight. Crazy.

Not sure what you were doing wrong but found FFIV a breeze?

• Advertisement

Most of it was a breeze, but there were certain walls i hit which required me to level the **** out of my characters to make sure they didnt get one shotted. Spells one shotting your party cant really be avoided in terms of skill, it was clearly a level issue. Did you play the DS version ?

I lost count with how many times my party died before even getting a chance to take any action, either getting all destroyed at once or turned too stone.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,011 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

I started playing through IV on PSP again recently and there is a massive difficulty spike once you get the underground section with the tanks shooting at each other outside a castle.

Had to power level and then my charger broke so haven't been able to get back to it.

nix wrote: »
    Most of it was a breeze, but there were certain walls i hit which required me to level the **** out of my characters to make sure they didnt get one shotted. Spells one shotting your party cant really be avoided in terms of skill, it was clearly a level issue. Did you play the DS version ?

I've played every version of the game othet than the PSP version. The DS version improves on the battle system and makes it more strategic but you shouldn't need to power level if you have the right strategy for the fights. I didn't have to level at all in the DS version although some bosses gave me a good challenge but with the right strategy I was able to beat them. FFIV was a bit simplistic so I like the new additions to the battle system.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

iirc of ff4, the only hard part of it was right after you turned into the 'white man' (lazy to tag spoiler) since you need to do the leveling again. and ohyes, you may die 1 or 2 times when you get hitted by X-ZONE lol the games from that era were designed like that to get you killed by the final boss for at least one time (unless you grind all your characters to the max before your fight ofc).

I started playing through IV on PSP again recently and there is a massive difficulty spike once you get the underground section with the tanks shooting at each other outside a castle.

That bit can be quite difficult for first time players in the much harder japanese version which the psp version is based on.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,391 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

If Square Enix was to remake RPG classic Final Fantasy 7 it might not be able to resist the temptation to make significant changes to the original game, according to veteran franchise producer Yoshinori Kitase.
    Speaking in an interview with OXM, Kitase explained that it wouldn't be very interesting to just do a straight remake.
    "If I may speak as a game creator, if we were to produce a remake of 7, for example, I would be really tempted to delete things and add new elements, new systems or whatever because if we were to make exactly the same thing now, it'd be like a repeat," he said.
    "It'd be an issue of repetition and not as much fun to make such a game. So I'd be really interested in rearranging games or reshaping games into something slightly different even though it's supposed to be the same game."
    However, he conceded that such an approach might not be too popular with certain sections of the franchise's fanbase.
    "If we did that, the fans might be disappointed or [say] 'this is not what I was expecting' so in that sense maybe some might say that it's better to let memory be memory.
    "When we play the games we made years ago, sometimes we think 'oh, that is not really cool' or 'that probably should have been a bit better than that' and that sort of thing," he continued.
    "But on the other hand, those slightly negative features and bits, for some of the really enthusiastic fans of these titles, that gives the game extra flavour or personality or whatever. So maybe they would rather we didn't do anything about it and we just leave it in as it is. It's very difficult to decide what we should we keep in and what we should take out."

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-11-28-any-final-fantasy-7-remake-might-delete-things-add-elements

Just remake the game with better graphics and leave the gameplay, is it that hard ?

idiots

Headshot wrote: »
    Just remake the game with better graphics and leave the gameplay, is it that hard ?

idiots

FFVII will need substantial changes if it is to be remade. As I said the battle system is really basic and will need a complete overhaul. The story could do with some touching up as well. The problem with this is that Square will **** up the remake by adding useless crap. If they don't make changes it will end up like the FF3 remake on the DS, a load of crap. I'd much rather something like the DS FF4 remake which added a bit to flesh out the story more and changed up the battle system enough to make it fresh and give depth to the battle system.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    FFVII will need substantial changes if it is to be remade. As I said the battle system is really basic and will need a complete overhaul. The story could do with some touching up as well. The problem with this is that Square will **** up the remake by adding useless crap. If they don't make changes it will end up like the FF3 remake on the DS, a load of crap. I'd much rather something like the DS FF4 remake which added a bit to flesh out the story more and changed up the battle system enough to make it fresh and give depth to the battle system.

The battle system was perfect. I dont want any that ****e like real time battle system or that ff13 crap, Fine branch it out a bit but dont ruin it

Id be perfectly happy to have the same game but with glorious graphics.

The battle system is far from perfect. There's no challenge and no strategy involved in the fights. Enemies are very uninteresting to fight. Also characters are blank slates and end up having nothing but their limit breaks differentiating them. It's far and away the simplest battle system of any RPG I've ever played.

• Advertisement

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    The battle system is far from perfect. There's no challenge and no strategy involved in the fights. Enemies are very uninteresting to fight. Also characters are blank slates and end up having nothing but their limit breaks differentiating them. It's far and away the simplest battle system of any RPG I've ever played.

nope its perfect

Advertisement